Forum - View topic
Last 3 series you finished watching


Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
jetz



Joined: 31 Jan 2007
Posts: 2148
Location: Manila, Philippines
PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 7:04 am Reply with quote
This is sort of my version of a recommendation thread. This is how it works - you put in the last 3 series you finished watching (meaning you watched all of its episodes), and give your comments about it (what made you watch it, what you like about it, what you didn't like about it, etc). This way we'll get an idea of what kinds of anime a certain person likes to watch, and at the same time, we'll be able to get ideas on what to watch.

My theory is that, if you think it's good enough to watch completely, then it's probably worth watching for other people like you.

I'll start.:

The last series I watched was Kyo Kara Maoh! I decided to watch it because a lot of people from the Philippines really like it, and I wanted to see for myself what exactly they liked about it. I read about the synopsis and it seemed interesting enough, so I started watching it. I liked it from the beginning, because the first episode was so funny (and it was like that for most of the series). I liked the part when he was "flushed into another world". The story was okay, I guess, cause for some reason I found it a bit too cutesy (the excessive number of bishonens can attest to that). What I didn't like about it was the fact that it had so many fillers. Because of the fillers, it ended up being longer than it's supposed to.

Before that was school rumble, the first season. My brother said it was good and really funny, and usually whatever my brother likes is also interesting for me. I thought it was average. It was good for a few laughs now and then, but there were times when I got bored and wanted to get it over with. I did like the huge cast though, and my favorite character is Harima Kenji. At first I didn't like him, cause I thought he didn't look like a high schooler at all, but by the middle part I thought he was ok. Tenma on the other hand, was a bit annoying for me. The story wasn't so bad - I'd say it's a typical anime about high schoolers who are high on love.

Then finally there's BECK. I was hesitant to watch it, because I didn't like the way the drawing style. I did like the premise of the story, which is about a rock band trying to make it big, so I decided to watch it (and my brother recommended this one too). I realized that the story made up for the drawing style, and that the illustrations weren't really that bad. Sure the characters morph now and then, but I like the details on inanimate objects, specially on the guitars. They looked almost life like. The only thing I was unhappy about was the fact that it ended to soon, and I felt the ending was rushed. Other than that, I think it's really worth watching.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
undeadben



Joined: 06 May 2006
Posts: 1212
Location: West Texas
PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 7:43 am Reply with quote
Isn't this just similar to the "What are you watching right now?" thread. Almost everyone does post while they are watching something and then when they are finished too. Don't see the point in another similar thread for that. But since you asked here's the last 269 anime that I finished watching. I forget the order but it does have comments and ratings.

And if you want to make it a recommendation thread, wouldn't it be better for people to list, not the last three that they finished, but their favorites. Hmm, if I were looking for recommendations I'd rather look for stuff people really liked than just whatever the last three random ones were. Oh, wait...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address My Anime My Manga
jetz



Joined: 31 Jan 2007
Posts: 2148
Location: Manila, Philippines
PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 7:59 am Reply with quote
undeadben wrote:
Isn't this just similar to the "What are you watching right now?" thread. Almost everyone does post while they are watching something and then when they are finished too. Don't see the point in another similar thread for that. But since you asked here's the last 269 anime that I finished watching. I forget the order but it does have comments and ratings.

And if you want to make it a recommendation thread, wouldn't it be better for people to list, not the last three that they finished, but their favorites. Hmm, if I were looking for recommendations I'd rather look for stuff people really liked than just whatever the last three random ones were. Oh, wait...


aha.. I knew this was going to be nitpicked soon.. seriously, don;t you guys have anything else to do? There's at least one in almost every thread.. sheesh

And no, I don't think this is similar to the what are you watching right now thread since people don't always finish what they watched, just like what I said. The point of this thread is to list down the last three you finished watching COMPLETELY, which means anime you thought was worth enough to give time up for to finish.. get it?

And as for the recommendation thread, that helps too, but most of the anime people have there are at least one year old, which leaves little room for current anime. This is also a chance for us to find out more about new series that may not necessarily be someone's favorite anime.

I also asked for just the last three because people may not have enough time to look over the last 269 series that someone watched completely.


Last edited by jetz on Wed Apr 04, 2007 8:07 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
bonbonsrus



Joined: 15 Oct 2003
Posts: 1288
PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 8:06 am Reply with quote
I finish almost every anime I start. It has to be a particularly bad anime for me to not finish. Just because I finish an anime doesn't mean I would recomend it to everyone.
I just finished Petit Cossette which would certainly not be everyones cup of tea, but was certainly different. So colorful, the stained glass pavement was pretty. The animation reminded me in parts of something like Soul Taker. The music was perfectly mood setting, however, did I LOVE this? not really, but I am not sad I saw it either.
I also just finished Rumbling Hearts. WOW, did I love this. Seriously, the last disk in particular had me wanting to gasp in emotion at parts. I loved how I felt bad for everyone. Poor Shinji. Anyway, if you like a good tear-jerker full of messy emotions, this is it.
I also just finish Nazca. Again, not something I would recomend to all, perfectly bland show with perfectly bland bishis doing perfectly bland stuff in funny outfits.
So for someone like me, this list would be better in the what are you watching now thread.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
jetz



Joined: 31 Jan 2007
Posts: 2148
Location: Manila, Philippines
PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 8:09 am Reply with quote
bonbonsrus wrote:
I finish almost every anime I start. It has to be a particularly bad anime for me to not finish. Just because I finish an anime doesn't mean I would recomend it to everyone.
I just finished Petit Cossette which would certainly not be everyones cup of tea, but was certainly different. So colorful, the stained glass pavement was pretty. The animation reminded me in parts of something like Soul Taker. The music was perfectly mood setting, however, did I LOVE this? not really, but I am not sad I saw it either.
I also just finished Rumbling Hearts. WOW, did I love this. Seriously, the last disk in particular had me wanting to gasp in emotion at parts. I loved how I felt bad for everyone. Poor Shinji. Anyway, if you like a good tear-jerker full of messy emotions, this is it.
I also just finish Nazca. Again, not something I would recomend to all, perfectly bland show with perfectly bland bishis doing perfectly bland stuff in funny outfits.
So for someone like me, this list would be better in the what are you watching now thread.


thanks for replying. I'm actually glad you mentioned Rumbling hearts, since I thought it looked interesting, but I haven't seen enough comments about it to convince me to watch it..
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
TestamentSaki



Joined: 11 Oct 2005
Posts: 1012
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 10:16 am Reply with quote
OK... last series I finished watching...

1-Buso Renkin (finished last night at 11:49 PM). I loved the series, and though the end was predictable, seeing spoiler[spoiler[the reunion between Kazuki and Tokiko, and of course, seeing Busujima-chan without her mask was quite good.] Papillon still gave me the creeps, but now I know he's not as bad as I thought]

2-Wolf's Rain (finished a week ago). Meh, not that I'm much into this type of series (I have a big disliking of anything resembling dogs or any other Canides), but I liked the last part spoiler[Where Kiba and the others appear just as humans, although I wanted to see Blue].

3-Hungry Heart Wild Striker (finished it several times). Heck, I just cried. spoiler[KYOUSUKE AND MIKI are such a couple of idiots!! If she had been honest to him and told him she DID care about his trip to Holland... And of course, if they had spoiler[admitted their feelings for each other]. Oh well, I would've loved to see if Rodrigo and the others would at last reach their goal: The National Tournament]. At least Ichikawa didn't get a girlfriend (better for me Twisted Evil )
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Eruanna



Joined: 05 Sep 2006
Posts: 451
Location: Canada
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 11:11 am Reply with quote
bonbonsrus wrote:
I finish almost every anime I start. It has to be a particularly bad anime for me to not finish. Just because I finish an anime doesn't mean I would recomend it to everyone.
I just finished Petit Cossette which would certainly not be everyones cup of tea, but was certainly different. So colorful, the stained glass pavement was pretty. The animation reminded me in parts of something like Soul Taker. The music was perfectly mood setting, however, did I LOVE this? not really, but I am not sad I saw it either.
I also just finished Rumbling Hearts. WOW, did I love this. Seriously, the last disk in particular had me wanting to gasp in emotion at parts. I loved how I felt bad for everyone. Poor Shinji. Anyway, if you like a good tear-jerker full of messy emotions, this is it.
I also just finish Nazca. Again, not something I would recomend to all, perfectly bland show with perfectly bland bishis doing perfectly bland stuff in funny outfits.
So for someone like me, this list would be better in the what are you watching now thread.


Petite Cosette is pretty great! I wouldnt put it on my favourites list, but I did greatly enjoy watching it. I also really want the soundtrack, the music was amazing.
Also, I have been trying to find Nazca everywhere! I cant seem to find it! Anime cry Woe is me, but if its as bland as you say, mayhaps it isnt that bad.

My last three.... Erm... what the heck where my last three? O_O
Well, LAST one was Digimon Savers.
Which was actually incredibly good. I think even people who dont like Digimon could enjoy this one, since its aimed at an older audiance then the last Digimon series. Its very emotionaly driven. All the Digimon series are, but this one is defonatly more 'mature' then the rest. Theres alot of silly things about it that could have been done better, (like the dissapointment of an ending >_>) but on the whole, a GREAT series. Very Happy
Hmn, what else did I watch? I think probably the one before Digimon was Glass Fleet. MAN this show dosnt get alot of love. Out of the people who have even heard of it, only ONE person have I found who didn't think it was crap. Which is odd, since it is a VERY good show, I thought so anyways.
It deals with alot of touchy issues, like homosexuality, inscest, child abuse, rape, religion, politics, war, and alot of other themes. Its fairly dark, though not in visuals, in subject matter. It has the most wel developed villain Iv ever seen, one of the only villains I have actually hated. The CG in this show could have used some work, but it didn't bother me much.
And I guess the one right before that might have been Legend of Basara, which defonatly made it onto my favourites list.
Its a unique little post apocalyptic action romance. Its about rebels fighting against a corupt dictatorship, and a tragic love affair between the Red King and the leader of the rebels. Between the eye poping, edge of your seat action, the touching moments between the two lovers, and the gorgeous graphics, it makes a very nice mix. The only real problem is that it was never finished. Im now trying to collect the mangas.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
bonbonsrus



Joined: 15 Oct 2003
Posts: 1288
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 1:25 pm Reply with quote
Eruanna wrote:
bonbonsrus wrote:
I also just finish Nazca. Again, not something I would recomend to all, perfectly bland show with perfectly bland bishis doing perfectly bland stuff in funny outfits.


Also, I have been trying to find Nazca everywhere! I can't seem to find it! Anime cry Woe is me, but if its as bland as you say, mayhaps it isnt that bad.

You were the one who liked They Were 11 in some other thread yes? If you liked that, than I would say you would like this. No, I wouldn't compare the two in anyway, however, I liked them about the same. Bland doesn't really equal bad, and I can't say I didn't like Nazca, however, I can see where a lot of people wouldn't like it. (Too cliche, too formulatic.) Yes, it is nothing sectacular, but that doesn't mean it wasn't enjoyable. I really liked the opening, the animation was decent, nothing to brag about and the story was good despite being pretty predictable and something you have probably seen before. Reincarnated lives, trying to start/stop the destruction of the earth and follow/break destiny. Hey, Tate-kun was easy to look at mostly, but some of the outfits made me think, who are they trying to appeal to here? Who needs a palm-tree hairpiece?
For people who watch less anime, this isn't one I would say "you must see." I hope you find it soon, I wonder what you will think, now you will have to tell me when you get it!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mirrinus



Joined: 31 Jan 2007
Posts: 230
Location: La Thiene Plateau
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 5:11 pm Reply with quote
K, I'll play along.

Utawarerumono - (26 episodes) This show's story started out pretty interesting, but I felt like it fizzled a bit as it approached its end. However, I liked how it was somewhat different from many other action/adventure shows. The main character acts more like a tactician than a fighter a good deal of the time, commanding troops and planning strategies. I really enjoyed this portrayal of fighting, instead of just guys screaming and slashing at each other. Since it's based off of a tactical RPG, the main characters have varied weapons and styles of fighting, which was cool to watch. However, the generic soldiers fighting was pretty boring. The main protagonists are fairly developed; Aruru was really cute, while I really liked Touka and Genjimaru as characters. However, pretty much all the villains were terrible, which detracted from the epic-ness of the adventure. The animation quality also wavered a fair amount. The ending didn't really captivate me all that much either, but at least the ride there was enjoyable, plus it was funny making jokes like "oh, this guy's just a mini-boss, he's not important." Recommended if you enjoy the fantasy and adventure genre, but don't expect mind-blowing action or anything.

Kanon 2006 - (24 episodes) Drama and romance aren't anywhere near my favorite genres, and I still somewhat doubt their crossover appeal to casual anime watchers. I started watching this show for only two reasons: Kyoto Animation was producing it, and Sugita Tomokazu was playing the lead character. Honestly, I didn't expect much from it, but I was really quite surprised by how good this turned out to be. First off, the visuals: Kyoto Animation certainly does not fail to impress me with their fantastic animation work. The flowing river under the moonlight at the beginning of episode 17 looked incredibly life-like, while the falling snow made me shiver (I absolutely love how they did the snow). As for characters, I actually found Yuuichi to be one of the most likable male leads I've see in anime in a good, long time. The story started off somewhat slow and lethargical due to character introductions and setup. This annoyed some people, but if you get past that the story really starts picking up and growing in momentum starting at episode 7, with the beginning of the first major story arc, and continuing in energy without much pausing at all until the end. The last episodes of each story arc were all pretty great IMHO, and I was really blown away with the intensity of episodes 21, 22, and 23. Episode 24 calmed down a lot, and was more epilogue-ish, but still felt effective in the end. To me, this would be one of those shows that just got better as it continued (which is pretty rare), and I would definitely recommend it those who like the drama genre. It's not for everyone though, since it doesn't have too much crossover appeal, and it does feel like nothing happens for several of the earlier episodes (although with a second view, you'll see there were tons of subtle foreshadowing).

Higurashi no Naku Koroni - (26 episodes) Well, this certainly wins my award for most deceptive show I've ever seen. I think "bi-polar" is a great description for the show, as it resonates between sugary cuteness and horrifically gruesome violence. The animation was fairly disappointing, although I can see why some people think it works well for the show. Opening song absolutely rocks, though, it's definitely one of my favorite OPs. While production qualities weren't terribly good, the show did a good job of setting up mood. The first 4 episodes (the first of 6 story arcs) were amazing, easily high up there for horror shows that I've seen. Unfortunately, the later story arcs never quite matched up to the first story arc. The third and fourth in particular felt pretty weak. Just like the mood of the show, the overall quality really felt like it varied from extremely enjoyable to disappointing. Another major criticism is that for a mystery show, it doesn't really reveal the solution at the end either; there are still 2 more story arcs to tell that will explain everything, but those haven't been animated yet. Perhaps it would be better to wait for the second season (which has been announced by Studio DEEN already), so that you can at least get to the real ending. But at any rate, I would definitely recommend just the first 4 episodes to any anime fan that's not too squeemish.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Phyre_ Phly



Joined: 05 Apr 2007
Posts: 7
Location: missouri
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 9:46 pm Reply with quote
the last 3 i finished watching... hmm lets see...
Kamichu, which i really enjoyed and it is definatly one of my favorites of all time
Haibane Renmae, it was my second time watching it and i enjoyed it way more than i did the first time and the first time i saw it i knew it was one of my favorites.
and the third series i just finished recently was Rumiko Takihashi anthology which i enjoyed a lot more than i was expecting to.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Psycho 101
Moderator


Joined: 14 Aug 2006
Posts: 14873
Location: Inn of the Last Home
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 10:27 pm Reply with quote
This thread may survive because it's not technically A recommendations thread. The last 3 series I've watched. Well I watch many more than 3 at a time, but let's see what are the last three I've finished. Girl's Bravo, Basalisk, and re-watched Street Fighter IIV.

Girl's Bravo is a deranged comedy with nudity and sexual jokes passed out like party favors. If you want some funny, adult humor then I'd say check this show out. I never get tired of Kirie beating the crap out of Fukuyama. Garunteed to make you wet your pants laughing at the perverted humor.

Basalisk was a very fun show. From the start the show started off fast and kept up the pace. The fights were gorgeous and very well detailed I thought. The scenery in the show was also very well detailed. The voice acting was even pretty good. The only complaint I have is a fair number of characters died within 2 episodes of you meeting them. that aside Basalisk was a very enjoyable ninja series with good action and just enough drama. Thank God Tenzen isn't a Sephiroth look a like as in the movie Shinobi.

Street Fighter IIV is simply another series based off of the classic video game. The unique twist is in this series Ryu and Ken have to learn their powers and don't automatically know how to shoot some uber powerful Hadoken. I'm an old 2-d fighter junkie so this series is just a classic for me. I re-watch it about once a year. Much better then that God awful show they made several years ago and played on Sunday mornings on USA (cable station). That version made me cringe more then the Street Fighter Alpha movies.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
ryokoalways



Joined: 13 Mar 2005
Posts: 562
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 10:35 pm Reply with quote
In possibly incorrect order,

Hanbun no Tsuki Noboru Sora (6 episodes)- A short story about a sickly girl. Basically just a romance story with the main character on their deathbed. Nothing special, but not bad either. Visuals were not stunning, not too much happens, and I would not say the characters were amazing. Everything was above par though. Probably will only appeal to viewers that enjoy this genre.

Kanon (24 episodes)- Amazing series in my opinion. The personality of the main character was much better than the original, because he has a caring feel about him, while maintaining his smartass-ness, thanks to Tomokazu Sugita. Each arc was unique, and explores a different theme. The animation was amazing as well, thanks to KyoAni. The soundtrack may not appeal to everyone, but if you like the genre, you should find the tracks very fitting.

The most impressive part is how KyoAni manages to setup latter arcs during current ones, and managed to do it without ever making anything feel out of place. This has to be emphasized because a lot of the overlap, plus the ending, is original scripting, which makes it that much more impressive. Also, the little tid-bits of things they place around each episode is great.

Code Geass(23 episodes)- Errr, I am not sure if this qualifies at the moment, since it is technically not done. Anyways, the second ace series of last season, along with Kanon. At first glance it really is not much, because Sunrise has used all of the elements in this series in Gundam already. Most of the characters are fairly generic, and the premise isn't all that unique either (the idea is unique, but the situation is not). However, adding one unique element into the series, and everything becomes as such as well. The main character manages to change how everything would play out in a typical series completely. Too often is the main character of a series of this genre a do-good individual, and thus does not bring any intrigue. Lelouch, in my opinion, really single-handedly ran this series for at least the first 13 episodes.

This is clearly not the only reason that this series is great though. Another reason is that Sunrise manages to fix one of their long time problems in this series; the inevitable turn where the subcharacters become nothing more than cannon fodder. Each subcharacter in Geass is very unique and driven by something(my personal fav is Diedhard). They also play an important in the story, rather than just a tool in advancing it and then thrown away. The pacing of the story is great too, as there was probably only slowdown during the Mao arc, and the single filler episode in 6(or 5? Even then, the episode served to advance some character relationships).
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
Zalis116
Moderator


Joined: 31 Mar 2005
Posts: 6491
Location: Kazune City
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 10:46 pm Reply with quote
jetz wrote:
aha.. I knew this was going to be nitpicked soon.. seriously, don't you guys have anything else to do? There's at least one in almost every thread.. sheesh

And no, I don't think this is similar to the what are you watching right now thread since people don't always finish what they watched, just like what I said. The point of this thread is to list down the last three you finished watching COMPLETELY, which means anime you thought was worth enough to give time up for to finish.. get it?
No, we don't have anything better to do. You may not think it's similar, but a number of people (me included) believe that it is. They're both "comment and give mini-reviews on series" threads, with the main difference being that responses in this thread are limited to three, and don't include ongoing or dropped series like the other thread. And since many people force themselves to finish anime they don't care for, having a series as "finished" doesn't necessarily mean it was worthwhile.

Still, in an effort to avoid pre-emptive totalitarian locking syndrome, I'll leave this open for now, but if it starts to feel redundant, it will probably be locked, or perhaps merged.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
Mirrinus



Joined: 31 Jan 2007
Posts: 230
Location: La Thiene Plateau
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 10:58 pm Reply with quote
I can see a merger being done, but in all honestly I can see how the two are different. One is more of a "first impressions" type of thread, since the anime that I post there are usually just based off the first few episodes. This thread is more of a total series review. It's pretty tricky to try to equate the two; first impressions and final reviews are hardly the same thing.

Although I do agree that the two still can be confused pretty easily, which is the risk you appear to be highlighting. Some people have treated the "What are you watching right now?" thread as a place to post final reviews, but I've always interpreted that topic literally, as in discussing what I'm watching right now in the present, but haven't finished yet. That's where I post my initial impressions, at any rate.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Richard J.



Joined: 11 Aug 2006
Posts: 3367
Location: Sic Semper Tyrannis.
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 11:37 pm Reply with quote
Working from the latest to the most recent:

Gunslinger Girl (13 Eps): This series will never cease to be a favorite. The music, the art, the voices, the heart breaking and yet somehow heart warming story, truly makes this one a masterpiece. Every moment of this series leads to it's oddly moving ending and, although not a perfect adaption, it stands as one of the better manga to anime out there. Absolutely not just another "girls with guns" anime and unquestionably a great series, at least in my opinion. Funimation's release was wonderful as well. As soon as I can finally get my credit card bill under control, I'm going to pick up the soundtrack.

Chobits (27 Eps): A basically blind purchase bought in a moment of sheer madness and costing me quite a bit of money. Needless to say, I had very high expectations after commiting much moolah. I was not disappointed. Sometimes very silly, often gentle and warm, always asking a strangely deep question about humans and human-like machines, Chobits delievers. With it's great leads and strong supporting cast, this is a series I'd recommend to any CLAMP fan and to many non-fans too. This series has moments that can bring you to tears but when it wants to make you smile, it does it effortlesly. Chi!

Please Twins! (13 Eps): If you liked Please Teacher! you might very well hate this series. It has a radically different feel from it's predecessor and, while I rather liked it, it's not quite the spin-off/sequel I was expecting. Fan service abounds and the comedy ranges from goofy to slightly perverted, but I liked it. (That may have something to do with me not being bothered by either fanservice or the slightly incestous elements.) The characters and much of the plot is predicatable, although there are a few surprising twists. Basically, not for everyone but if you approach it open mindedly you might be able to enjoy it. (Also, Lara Jill Miller is so adorable in the part of Karen that it's almost too much to take! Why doesn't she get more work?)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group