• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Japanese Comic Ranking, August 15-21

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 6:24 pm Reply with quote
Wow, One Piece is fighting its impostor for the top spot.
Sewingrose

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 6:38 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:

I really don't think you can call nigh double sales figures "fighting", more like "taunting".
Megiddo

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 6:48 pm Reply with quote
Considering OP has almost 10x total sales, there ain't much taunting to be done Wink

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 6:51 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:

lol what? imposter Fairy Tail is nothing like one piece...There are no pirates or nothing in Fairy Tail...
ankoku22

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 7:35 pm Reply with quote
By "imposter", I believe leafy sea dragon is referring to Fairy Tail's art style, not its story.
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 8:09 pm Reply with quote
God, how am I supposed to keep following Naruto AND Negima if they keep going at this rate? I love you guys but you're killing my wallet...

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 9:01 pm Reply with quote
ankoku22 wrote:
By "imposter", I believe leafy sea dragon is referring to Fairy Tail's art style, not its story.

Nope nothing alike. check out the recent chapters of each and come back here. I wouldn't be reading Fairy Tail if it looks similar to One Piece's
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 9:41 pm Reply with quote
about time one piece gets knocked down and even by fairy tail that makes it even better
ankoku22

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 11:55 pm Reply with quote
1945113 wrote:
ankoku22 wrote:

Nope nothing alike. check out the recent chapters of each and come back here. I wouldn't be reading Fairy Tail if it looks similar to One Piece's

Hey, I'm not insulting it or anything. It's just that a common observation I've seen from people who do not like Fairy Tail (and also from some of its fans) is that Mashima's style looks somewhat like Oda's. Even some of the reviews on this website say so, although to be fair, the reviews are from volumes that are not as recent as the ones you may be referring to. But when someone makes a joke about Fairy Tail being similiar to One Piece, they are usually referring to the artwork. It has nothing to do with "pirates" or anything like that.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 11:58 pm Reply with quote
I always thought their art was similar.. Natsu is like Luffy with pink hair.

...Even the logos are similar.. is the T an anchor? Razz

Last edited by TitanXL on Thu Aug 25, 2011 12:36 am; edited 1 time in total
Sewingrose

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 12:13 am Reply with quote
I've made the argument elsewhere on the forums, and I stand by it, that Fairy Tail is trying to be One Piece desperately, and not just in a similar art style.

Fairy Tail tries to mimic a lot of the style of world-building that One Piece has going for it. Don't get me wrong there is originality in there, but it reads less like Mashima is using tropes used in all of shonen manga, but tropes found more specifically in One Piece.

I've binged to about Volume 18 of Fairy Tail prior, and what really stops me from reading more is how much it feels like One Piece if all the child-like jubilance and originality where sucked dry from it.
MasterKingJC

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 12:42 am Reply with quote
Fairy Tail is too full of cliche, bland characters and is over saturated with fanservice. It's almost or equally as bad as Rave.
It really doesn't even deserve to be compared to One Piece.
ReaKon

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 2:04 am Reply with quote
I understand why people think the art is similar, but what bugs me the most is that every time there is an article or listing that involves Fairy Tail doing well, it turns into a One Piece vs. Fairy Tail debate that states the same things over and over. Can't we all just say One Piece wins and let people who enjoy reading each, do so?

I apologise if I seem rude...

Wow, Gantz is up to No. 32. I am only on volume 11 and enjoying it but I am not sure I can cope for that long if it is just mission after mission. I need a bit more development and knowledge of Gantz to keep going. Saying that, it is getting more interesting at the moment with the introduction and slow development of 3 new characters that I assume are going to join Kei in the room.

I am interested in learning more about this Shingeki no Kyojin that is doing so well in Japan. The encyclopedia is a bit bare but the genres are action, fantasy and horror which intrigues me even more.
cloud8100

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 5:52 am Reply with quote
I started reading Shingeki no Kyojin online, definetely a must buy if it was licensed over here. The covers of the volumes are amazing as well.
ReaKon

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 6:44 am Reply with quote
What exactly is it about if you don't mind me asking?

I imagine with sales that high at volume 5, it has a good chance of getting licensed eventually, right?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2