• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Discotek Media Adds Both Unico Anime Feature Films

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WTK

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 10:02 pm Reply with quote
Discotek has added this info via its Facebook page:
Quote:
both Unico movies will have the english dub and japanese with english subs
Takeyo

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 10:09 pm Reply with quote
Well, they're no Wicked City or Lilly C.A.T., but good for Discotek for continuing to build its catalog. Very Happy
Genet

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 10:12 pm Reply with quote
UNICO!!!

Could we possibly get to see the manga over here, too?

Very Happy
Brainchild129

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 10:25 pm Reply with quote
Oh, wow! I had a college friend who had the first one on (a very well loved) tape. She would be thrilled to find out about this.
Soundmonkey44

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 11:04 pm Reply with quote
Wonder if their decision to get this has anytihng to do with the ever increasing popularity of MLP: Friendship is magic amoungst older animatoin fans?

Honestly, I'll pobably get this, as I have a soft spot for older all ages/kids animations, and of course the fact its Tezuka helps as well.
nottimkai

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 11:13 pm Reply with quote
Which was the creepy one that had shades of genocide in it? The one where all the townsfolk get turned into block-y wooden puppets and then built into a giant structure?

One of my earliest clear memories was from when I was 4 and seeing this playing on the television. It twisted my poor young brain, and to this day I have a brief shade of horror whenever it comes to mind.

I am so happy right now!
grooven

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 11:29 pm Reply with quote
Th one is with the puppet guy I can't recall what he did the other was with barron with loli issues Anime hyper Haven't seen in a while. I think the puppet one he travels to the ends of the earth and their is a giant rocking horse... Some great you tube clips too, don't know if i can post them.

@ Soundmonkey- Could be lol. I'm a long time MLP collector of the 1980-90's versions. I am also a huge Tezuka fan and Unico fan too Anime hyper along with Jungle Taitei.
OldCharlieStoletheHandle

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 11:29 pm Reply with quote
I almost bought expensive (and since they were region free probable bootleg) DVDs of these off Amazona while back (they still have one of them listed). I'm glad I waited. I've always been able to get Discotek releases at reasonable prices from either TRSI or Amazon. It's nice that they have both English and Japanese versions (as they usually do on their releases).
Weazul-chan

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 11:55 pm Reply with quote
Genet wrote:
UNICO!!!

Could we possibly get to see the manga over here, too?

Very Happy
or even just the pilot version of the anime, that wouldn't hurt either.

dear gods, I loved these movies when I was little. I drove my mom bonkers having her rent them for me almost once a week for a while there. I swear, Unico and Voltron were my first two anime obsessions and I have been waiting AGES to own legit copies of Unico (now if they'd get Ringing Bell as well that would be nice, too).
Lady_Hydrangea

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 12:05 am Reply with quote
So, so thrilled about this! I can still remember watching Unico in the Island of Magic for the first time over 20 years ago when I was little. The villain kind of scared me, but I still loved the movie (back then I pretty much loved anything that had a unicorn in it...okay I still do). Never saw the first Unico movie, but now I'll get to thanks to Discotek!

Incidentally, wasn't there some other company that was going to license these films several years ago? I think Justin mentioned it on ANNCast a whiles back. Anyone know what happened to that company? Either way, I'm just happy that I'll be able relive a little bit of my childhood with Discotek's release Smile

@Genet: Who knows? Maybe Vertical will pick the manga up someday, like it has with other Tezuka titles.
E-Master

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 12:15 am Reply with quote
I had a feeling they'd obtain rights to the Unico films. The first one was one of my first anime films I watched. Though it might of been Totoro, but not sure let's say Totoro & Unico were my first two anime films.

While Unico wasn't a huge favorite of mine, but I'll still buy these two movies, cause anything Tezuka related I'll definately buy.

Now let's see about negotations on Little Norse Prince with MGM or who ever is holding the rights and isn't doing a DVD treatment to it.
Myaow

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 7:51 am Reply with quote
Sweet! I was so sad when that other mysterious company gobbled up Unico and disappeared into the ether with it-- hooray for Discotek!
giapet
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 10:40 am Reply with quote
They'd better release it for real! I had too much heartbreak from that "Galaxy Anime" that claimed to have licensed it a few years back and then never spoke again...
FireChick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 10:44 am Reply with quote
YAAAAAAY!!! The Unico movies are licensed! Yay! Thank you Discotek!! You're ever so awesome!!

But once you release Unico, please release Ringing Bell and Dog of Flanders too!!! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Emichan

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 11:18 am Reply with quote
Weazul-chan wrote:
(now if they'd get Ringing Bell as well that would be nice, too).

While I would LOVE to see Ringing Bell licensed for DVD, I have a feeling it would traumatize kids forever Smile It's so delightfully messed up!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2