• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Le Chevalier D'Eon DVD 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
daedelus

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 4:30 am Reply with quote
Wow! Another stellar volume of one of the best releases of 2007. The plot continues to thicken just when I would expect it to level off and coast to the end. Revelations, intrigue, and even a very tense moment involving one of the main characters had me actually applauding at the end of the disc. Oh, and I still love that ED song. I never skip it.
mike.motaku

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 8:59 am Reply with quote
So. When is someone going to complain that the review praises this to a suspiciously high level and that this is obviously nothing more than a paid advertisement?
Or that the reviewer uses too many big words and doesn't take into consideration the feelings of the otaku who don't like it and feel threatened by those who do?

Me like. Me buy. You no like? You stupid. Rolling Eyes Laughing
Aromatic Grass

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 10:13 am Reply with quote
I'm glad that each DVD gets such a good review. This series is in my Top 10, and I plan on buying this volume soon. Always happy to hear that nothing's changed in quality. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Cloe

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 12:22 pm Reply with quote
mike.motaku wrote:
So. When is someone going to complain that the review praises this to a suspiciously high level and that this is obviously nothing more than a paid advertisement?

I sure feel bad for ANN's review staff. When they dish out negative reviews fans get in an uproar about how they're "biased" against the material. But when a good review pops up every now and again, suddenly it's "paid advertising."

People are impossible to please.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Key

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 3:49 pm Reply with quote
Cloe wrote:
mike.motaku wrote:

I sure feel bad for ANN's review staff. When they dish out negative reviews fans get in an uproar about how they're "biased" against the material. But when a good review pops up every now and again, suddenly it's "paid advertising."

People are impossible to please.

Enh, mike.motaku was just being sarcastic, so it doesn't bother me. Besides, it's harder for me to hold anything against a fellow Hoosier. Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Jedi General

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 5:07 pm Reply with quote
Yes, finally this volume is reviewed! I loved this volume, definitely the best of the series so far with all the twists and turns. Even since the first volume, Chevalier has been my favorite R1 release of the year amongst series I hadn't already seen via fansub, and each volume has served to further and further solidify it's place as on of this year's best series. Simply an utterly amazing anime. I am sad though that there weren't any commentaries on this volume. I'd been looking forward to another nice commentary.

Quote:
While it may not be a stellar effort, the English dub nonetheless provides a satisfyingly competent and appropriately-cast collection of performances (...)

I do agree that the dub is this volume isn't steller, as I didn't feel it was nearly as good as in previous volumes. Personally, I didn't like the choice of Vic Mignogna as Sir Dashwood. As much as I love Vic's voice, it made Dashwood sound a bit too much like an eccentric old man in comparison to the seiyu. Other than than Guercy being a bit too annoying at times (although it probably was intentional), I didn't find too much else to find fault with. I will say that I found Durand's "Why, my king? TELL ME WHY!" to unintentionally hilarious. Laughing

Quote:
Quality background art continues, as do the occasional unusual perspective shots and nice but sparingly-used CG effects, but unfortunately quality control issues with character renderings and minor background/foreground integration problems still linger. The swordfighting and other action scenes flow along as elegantly as ever, but throughout this span the animation also occasionally looks a little stiff.

I find it interesting that I am starting to agree with ANN's reviewers in terms of animation and art more and more these days as I continue to watch series after series. I guess I'm turning into a pretty decent judge of animation. I noticed the minor inconsistencies present in this volume. Inconsistencies that I probably would never have noticed in the past.

Quote:
The soundtrack for the series has always been good, but through these four episodes it becomes an exemplar of how to surreptitiously use music to enhance mood and tone. Without ever becoming loud or obvious it masterfully manipulates its orchestrated and string numbers to craft an undercurrent of tension, unease, and suspense.

Oh man, oh man do I love the music in this series! Michiru Oshima has given us yet another fine work of art. Her work complements this series like a very tight glove, especially in this volume. I hope it continues to be this well utilized in the final two volumes.

Key wrote:
Enh, mike.motaku was just being sarcastic, so it doesn't bother me. Besides, it's harder for me to hold anything against a fellow Hoosier. Wink

Could have fooled me. It's so hard to tell when someone's being sarcastic on the Internet. Rolling Eyes
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Cloe

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 7:39 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:

D'oh, you're totally right. I missed the "So when is" part. Sorry about that, mike.motaku. My sarcasm meter must be broken today.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Shirachi

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 12:56 pm Reply with quote
Am I the only one who noticed that the character designs seemed a little sharp and awkward in some scene's? Especially in the first episode. It just didn't feel as smooth as the earlier volumes where.

Overall, though, I loved it. I just thought that the whole thing with Maxmillien and Lia came out of no where, but that's just me.
Key

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 3:10 pm Reply with quote
Shirachi wrote:
Am I the only one who noticed that the character designs seemed a little sharp and awkward in some scene's? Especially in the first episode. It just didn't feel as smooth as the earlier volumes where.

That's part of what I was referring to as "artistic quality control issues."
Randall Miyashiro

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 6:30 am Reply with quote
I'm actually a little sad that the OST isn't loud or obvious since my favorite parts are the over orchestrated moments in it that sound straight out of FMA. Then again I remember that Theron also criticized Noein's OST for being to overwhelming. I suppose this is all a matter of tastes since I've always loved the Macross Love, do you Remember/ Giant Robo approach to scoring. I will agree that the ending song is amazing, and it somewhat reminds me of the Trinity Blood ED song.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1