• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Death Note dub and its [adult swim] broadcast.

Goto page   Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
m00nshine

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 9:17 pm Reply with quote
Death Note

I watched the latest trailer on the Viz homepage for Death Note where they finally let us hear the english voice actors for Light and L. I must say that when I heard Light speak I nearly hurled on myself. They couldn't have picked a worse voice for Light even if they tried. That voice will probably keep me from watching ay dubs of the show. The voice for L was pretty good... along the lines of what i suspected but Light's voice is way too bad for his character. If you haven't heard it then go watch it at your own risk. The person doing Light's voice is the same character who did the Cat (forgot character's actual name) in Fruits Basket. Anyways... anyone else have thoughts on it?

[EDIT: Making this the official [as] Death Note thread. -TK]
MeggieMay

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 10:42 pm Reply with quote
I think this isn't the trailer with the actual VA's for the show? It's a known fact that early trailers for this show were actually done by a different group that who is going to do the final dub.

Also, the actor who plays The Cat in Fruits Basket is Jimmy Jewel and he's a Texas VA. Death Note is being dubbed by Ocean Vancouver. The cast list is as follows

Light: Brad Sawile
"L": Alessandro Juliani (of Battlestar Galactica fame)
Ryuk: Brian Drummond
Misa: Shannon Chan-Kent
Rem: Colleen Wheeler
Soichiro: Chris Britton
Matsuda: Vincent Tong
Mogi: John Murphy
Raye: Michael Adamthwaite
Aizawa: Trevor Devall
Ukita: Jeremy From
Naomi: Tabitha St. Germain
Ide: Brian Dobson

Anyway, I may need to go listen to that trailer because everyone is really been dissing it Twisted Evil
Lee1981

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 10:28 pm Reply with quote
I honestly wasn't impressed with either voice. But it is an early trailer and Lodoss War trailers had a different dub from what was in the actual anime and the trailer so I wouldn't worry too much about it right now. Smile
blind_assassin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 11:36 pm Reply with quote
Ouch. Light really does have a crappy voice. They voice is way too sharp to fit properly. The soft way that light spoke was pretty much integral to his persona and they've pretty much trashed it. I'll still probably watch it with the same amount of attention I follow most t.v broadcast dubs but if all the voices are as bad as Light's then I'll be sad.
Pepperidge

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 9:29 pm Reply with quote
For the trillionth time: THE VOICES IN THE TRAILER ARE NOT THE ACTUAL CAST FOR THE SERIES. The trailer was not produced by Ocean Studios, and was only for promotional purposes. The new voices in the final trailer (which is not online anywhere, to my knoweldge) sound completely different.
Richard J.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 9:48 pm Reply with quote
Why did Viz make a trailer using voices that weren't even going to be in the English dub anyway? If they were trying to make positive buzz for the series, it backfired badly as people are constantly talking about how bad Light's voice is. (Haven't heard it, haven't watched a fansub of Death Note, I just want to know what the heck they were thinking.)

Doesn't making a trailer using different voices from the final product come dangerously close to false advertising?
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 6:13 pm Reply with quote
Richard J. wrote:
Doesn't making a trailer using different voices from the final product come dangerously close to false advertising?

Naw, it happens in Hollywood all the time. Ever watch a trailer at the movie theater, or at home showing some awesome scene, or some badass dialogue. Then having seen the movie realize that that scene or that dialogue wasn't even in the movie! Or at least didn't make the movies theatrical cut.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kruszer

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 6:28 pm Reply with quote
Like the scene for Spider-Man which was removed entirely because it happened to show Two World Trade Center-esk towers or Darth Maul's philosophizing speech on fear from Star Wars: TPM.

Anyhow as to topic, all I have to say is settle down, trailers are notoriously poor sources for judging a dub. It's way to early to commense with the b****ing. At least wait until October 20th when you see it start on Adult Swim.
blind_assassin

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 8:30 pm Reply with quote
Richard J. wrote:

Not really. It's just incredibly stupid. They're actually risking alienating viewers by using such a terrible voice for the promotion.

Doing something like this makes about as much sense as using a swastika as a company logo. There isn't anything technically wrong with it but the way people react to it is so obviously going to be negative that it seems like they're intentionally trying to tank themselves.
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 3:08 pm Reply with quote
I don't think they really alienate that many people. We just see the types who frequent online talking about it and usually they are predisposed to hate a dub anyway so there's not point in worrying about what they'll think, just let them buy the DVD with subs and concentrate on getting the word out to others who won't be as quick to judge.
Fallout2man

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 4:00 pm Reply with quote
Brad Swaile?! Not to say he's not a good voice actor, but that's one of the worst fits for Raito/Light I can think of. His voice is just too teenager/emo to work. Raito/Light's voice should be a sort of deep, mellow young adult voice with a sense of coldness and distance to it, not like he's a young highly emotional teenager. (I imagine Raito/Light sounding like the english voice of Heero Yui, Mark Hildreth)
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Richard J.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 11:57 am Reply with quote
Kruszer wrote:
Like the scene for Spider-Man which was removed entirely because it happened to show Two World Trade Center-esk towers or Darth Maul's philosophizing speech on fear from Star Wars: TPM.

Yeah, good point. Still, it seems far worse to be advertising with one cast then switching to another. It seems like the Hollywood example would be more like going to a movie that was advertised with an all-star cast but it's got failed soap actors in it instead. (Soap actors can act quite well, but when they can't, they are really awful.)

Or like going to see Terminator: Whatever thinking it's got Arnold in it, but instead you get Jack Black. I like Jack, but he's not what I think of when I think of a Terminator. Anime smile + sweatdrop

Anyway, it just seems really stupid. I think it is too early to be speculating on the English dub's quality, given that the trailer wasn't even with the same people, but it doesn't exactly make people feel good about a dub when this sort of thing happens.
MorwenLaicoriel

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 1:34 am Reply with quote
marie-antoinette wrote:
I don't think they really alienate that many people. We just see the types who frequent online talking about it and usually they are predisposed to hate a dub anyway so there's not point in worrying about what they'll think, just let them buy the DVD with subs and concentrate on getting the word out to others who won't be as quick to judge.

Actually, I'm a big dub fan, and when I heard that trailer my knee-jerk reaction was "And I was planning on preordering the DVDs? I mean, I've seen the first five episodes in fansub, I should get at least the first disc or so, but...Do I REALLY want to be spending my money on this?"

Of course, now that I know it's not the actual actors, I feel much better.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 9:26 am Reply with quote
But that makes NO sense. Why would anyone not by a DVD because they don't like the dub. You just don't watch it then.

Anyway, I still say the majority of people probably wouldn't be turned off by a trailer with a different dub. Because that's just dumb when it's the story you should be caring about.

Of course, most people are dumb...Razz
Veoryn87

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 9:41 am Reply with quote
MorwenLaicoriel wrote:
Actually, I'm a big dub fan, and when I heard that trailer my knee-jerk reaction was "And I was planning on preordering the DVDs? I mean, I've seen the first five episodes in fansub, I should get at least the first disc or so, but...Do I REALLY want to be spending my money on this?"

Lucky for you we anime fans have a choice when we watch anime on dvd. We can listen to the English dub or the original Japanese. Not buying an anime simply because you don't like the dub is no excuse. Unless you are one that never listens to subs, avoid subs.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page   Next
Page 1 of 34