Forum - View topic
A Look at TIFFCOM and Tokyo International Anime Festival 2011




Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
tuxedocat



Joined: 14 Dec 2009
Posts: 2183
PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 2:02 am Reply with quote
This article was very interesting. Especially reading little tidbits like this:

Quote:
The speakers acknowledged that anime co-productions had sometimes failed in the past, but they were needed now because of the increasing quota rules, especially in Europe, which restricted the export of TV anime.


I would like to know more about these quotas, and if they are what is effecting streaming rights in European countries.

Another thing I found interesting was the viewpoint on the export market here in the US.

Quote:
Joseph Chou, president of Sola Digital Arts, pointed out that anime was seen as a genre abroad, and was bought up or rejected on that basis.


I wondered what anime he was thinking about when he said that. In my experience it has been difficult to nurture a new fan, especially if that new fan has only experienced a Ghibli film. Most of the time, they will try to explore anime on their own and end up finding either hentai or ecchi and then completely dismiss anime altogether. It can be difficult to get them to try anything else after that, no matter how much you try to explain that it is not all like that.

The perception is tarnished, in their minds, to the point that they completely dismiss anime completely. Sad
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime
configspace



Joined: 16 Aug 2008
Posts: 3676
PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 3:19 am Reply with quote
tuxedocat wrote:

I wondered what anime he was thinking about when he said that. In my experience it has been difficult to nurture a new fan, especially if that new fan has only experienced a Ghibli film. Most of the time, they will try to explore anime on their own and end up finding either hentai or ecchi and then completely dismiss anime altogether.

.. or maybe not. Maybe that's what they find interesting, Even if they are looking for something else, how can you say that they'll dismiss anime altogether based on such prejudiced views when you just acknowledged that these same people are also aware of Ghibli films? There's more than enough variety, way more than some even want to acknowledge, so that it'll be very obvious to everyone looking for anime on their own that anime is in no way limited to whatever some find offensive. I certainly would not want to project a filtered image of what "anime" is about just to pander to a very narrow middle-of-the-road mainstream since it sets up false expectations.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
tuxedocat



Joined: 14 Dec 2009
Posts: 2183
PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 3:25 am Reply with quote
configspace wrote:
tuxedocat wrote:

I wondered what anime he was thinking about when he said that. In my experience it has been difficult to nurture a new fan, especially if that new fan has only experienced a Ghibli film. Most of the time, they will try to explore anime on their own and end up finding either hentai or ecchi and then completely dismiss anime altogether.

.. or maybe not. Maybe that's what they find interesting, Even if they are looking for something else, how can you say that they'll dismiss anime altogether ....


because they tell me so. And yes, I try to convince them anyway.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor


Joined: 25 Oct 2003
Posts: 7442
Location: Wales
PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 11:53 am Reply with quote
I've not seen A Letter to Momo or even seen pictures of it before and that one there immediately made me think of Dennou Coil. The Animation Director (presumably also the character designer since we don't have one listed) did work on it so there may be something in that.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
HeeroTX



Joined: 15 Jul 2002
Posts: 2043
Location: Austin, TX
PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 1:08 pm Reply with quote
(For Americans, I think these are two of the most noteworthy comments)
Quote:
An American perspective on the issues was given over at Akihabara by a guest TIAF speaker, Heather Kenyon. Kenyon is a former director of development at Cartoon Network ... Profiling the US TV stations, Kenyon noted the unhealthy trend of live-action cutting into animation programming on the Disney and Cartoon Network channels.

This is not new by any means, but has long been a source of consternation for US fans. It's interesting to see a CN exec, even a FORMER one make note of that issue.
Quote:
Kenyon argued that a bigger opportunity for anime sales in America was pre-school programming; channels such as Disney Junior have acres of programming to fill.

This is probably the most damning and disappointing bit because it implies that most inroads that anime made for wider acceptance may be wiped out from a combination of "animation" channels rebranding to "tween" networks and the only remaining markets for broadcast of materials being pre-teen targets.

(seriously tho, I know MTV paved that ground LONG ago, but what's with all the live-action content on "Cartoon Network", not even just griping about anime here because they've actually still got a decent block Saturday nights, just speaking in general)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
enurtsol



Joined: 01 May 2007
Posts: 13671
PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 3:21 am Reply with quote
HeeroTX wrote:
(For Americans, I think these are two of the most noteworthy comments)
Quote:
An American perspective on the issues was given over at Akihabara by a guest TIAF speaker, Heather Kenyon. Kenyon is a former director of development at Cartoon Network ... Profiling the US TV stations, Kenyon noted the unhealthy trend of live-action cutting into animation programming on the Disney and Cartoon Network channels.

This is not new by any means, but has long been a source of consternation for US fans. It's interesting to see a CN exec, even a FORMER one make note of that issue.


Ha, I remember her.


HeeroTX wrote:

Quote:
Kenyon argued that a bigger opportunity for anime sales in America was pre-school programming; channels such as Disney Junior have acres of programming to fill.

This is probably the most damning and disappointing bit because it implies that most inroads that anime made for wider acceptance may be wiped out from a combination of "animation" channels rebranding to "tween" networks and the only remaining markets for broadcast of materials being pre-teen targets.


Unfortunately, not something anime "specializes" in.


HeeroTX wrote:

(seriously tho, I know MTV paved that ground LONG ago, but what's with all the live-action content on "Cartoon Network", not even just griping about anime here because they've actually still got a decent block Saturday nights, just speaking in general)


They just simply garner more ratings while being cheaper to shoot. Confused
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
reanimator



Joined: 25 Nov 2007
Posts: 1273
PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 9:04 am Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
HeeroTX wrote:

Quote:
Kenyon argued that a bigger opportunity for anime sales in America was pre-school programming; channels such as Disney Junior have acres of programming to fill.

This is probably the most damning and disappointing bit because it implies that most inroads that anime made for wider acceptance may be wiped out from a combination of "animation" channels rebranding to "tween" networks and the only remaining markets for broadcast of materials being pre-teen targets.


Unfortunately, not something anime "specializes" in.


No...Granted that majority of Anime titles produced are for pre-teens and up, however there are some pre-school anime titles out there. They're neither hyped nor fans are crazy about it.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
enurtsol



Joined: 01 May 2007
Posts: 13671
PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 4:35 pm Reply with quote
reanimator wrote:
enurtsol wrote:
HeeroTX wrote:

Quote:
Kenyon argued that a bigger opportunity for anime sales in America was pre-school programming; channels such as Disney Junior have acres of programming to fill.

This is probably the most damning and disappointing bit because it implies that most inroads that anime made for wider acceptance may be wiped out from a combination of "animation" channels rebranding to "tween" networks and the only remaining markets for broadcast of materials being pre-teen targets.


Unfortunately, not something anime "specializes" in.


No...Granted that majority of Anime titles produced are for pre-teens and up, however there are some pre-school anime titles out there. They're neither hyped nor fans are crazy about it.


Yep, usually nothing "special" that domestic networks would favor importing over local fare.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Cadmium



Joined: 25 Aug 2010
Posts: 10
Location: The Netherlands
PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 5:03 pm Reply with quote
tuxedocat wrote:

I would like to know more about these quotas, and if they are what is effecting streaming rights in European countries.


I think the comment about quotas should be read in the context of the discussion about co-productions. Many European countries have quotas for the amount of foreign content that state-financed broadcasters are allowed to run. This impacts co-productions because these days subsidies for a production are dependant on the actual animation being produced in the country that provides the subsidies.

European/Japanese co-productions from the '80s and early '90s were often entirely animated in Japan with the Europeans only putting up the money and varying degrees of production input*.

None of this affects streaming or commercial television as far as I know. The problem with streaming rights seems to be that rights for a show are sold on a per country basis. I can imagine that it would simply be too much expense for a site like Crunchyroll to procure streaming rights for a small European country that is not going to generate many viewers for them.

*I'm grossly oversimplifying here, look up some of Mike Toole's columns un this subject.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
nobahn
SubscriberSubscriber


Joined: 14 Dec 2006
Posts: 4496
PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 12:01 pm Reply with quote
From my perspective, this article simply reinforces just how insanely difficult it is to earn a livelihood in the entertainment field.
Words to live by: Don't give up your day job.....
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
GhostShell



Joined: 25 Jan 2011
Posts: 1009
Location: Richmond, B.C., Canada
PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 9:27 pm Reply with quote
After reading the article, it is evident that the anime industry in Japan faces many complexities.

HeeroTX wrote:
Quote:
Kenyon argued that a bigger opportunity for anime sales in America was pre-school programming; channels such as Disney Junior have acres of programming to fill.

This is probably the most damning and disappointing bit because it implies that most inroads that anime made for wider acceptance may be wiped out from a combination of "animation" channels rebranding to "tween" networks and the only remaining markets for broadcast of materials being pre-teen targets.

(seriously tho, I know MTV paved that ground LONG ago, but what's with all the live-action content on "Cartoon Network", not even just griping about anime here because they've actually still got a decent block Saturday nights, just speaking in general)


This is a concern for Canadian animation networks, as well. This fall, Teletoon has been airing a live-action show called Beyond Human, which has absolutely nothing to do with animation, or animation based characters whatsoever. I'm surprised it doesn't go against their broadcast licence mandate. Hopefully it is not a sign of further animation network erosion.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group