• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Must see...

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tenky777

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2004 11:56 pm Reply with quote
I'm kind of new to anime. I have seen Cowboy Bebop, Evangelion, Ninja Scroll, Akira and Ghost in the Shell. I like them all a lot. I want to know what others i should see. Can anyone give me like 10 or so animes i must watch???.
frostedsaiyan

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2004 12:07 am Reply with quote
10 anime you must see. Here goes:

1. Trigun
2. Outlaw Star
3. Rurouni Kenshin
4. Yu Yu Hakusho
5. Inuyasha
6. Dragonball, Dragonballz, Dragonball gt. <<<They go in order
7. Gundam (all series)
8. Blue Gender
9. Fruits Basket
10. Love Hina
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
lianncoop
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2004 12:23 am Reply with quote
All I can say is check out the ratings page or do a search for something like "anime suggestions" or something like that. Hope you find some you'll enjoy!
BERSERK EVA

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2004 12:25 am Reply with quote
Berserk and Golden Boy. These are good choices but you shouldnt watch them unless you dont mind violence and a good amount of fanservice.

I also recommend Trigun, Love Hina, Samurai X Trust and Betrayal (i haven't seen enough of the tv show to tell you to see the tv show), Hellsing (nice and short), Gunsmith Cats ( good 1 dvd investment)...thats all that comes to mind right now. Hope that helps.
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2004 12:39 am Reply with quote
In no particular order...

Escaflowne
Fruits Basket
Tenchi Muyo
Revolutionary Girl Utena *only if you consider yourself open minded*
Kare Kano (His and Her Circumstance)
Cardcaptor Sakura *only if you can stand... cute things*
Chobits
Inu-Yasha

And if you can get ahold of them:
Naruto
Fullmetal Alchemist
BakaNekoDain

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2004 1:07 am Reply with quote
littlegreenwolf wrote:
In no particular order...

Escaflowne
Fruits Basket
Tenchi Muyo
Revolutionary Girl Utena *only if you consider yourself open minded*
Kare Kano (His and Her Circumstance)
Cardcaptor Sakura *only if you can stand... cute things*
Chobits
Inu-Yasha

And if you can get ahold of them:
Naruto
Fullmetal Alchemist

wow almost exactly what i'd planned on posting, with a few discrepancies

Raxephon (if you liked evangelion, well there's a fair chance you'll like this anime)
Full Metal Panic!
(minus) CCS (too cute... like eating a bunch of candy, the sweetness gets to be overwhelming)

that added with littlegreenwolf's list sums up my most ? viewable ? animes.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime
Kain the Ashaman

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2004 1:13 am Reply with quote
I would also say that you should check out Scrapped Princess and Last Exile. I highly recomend them
ScorpioEyez

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2004 1:42 am Reply with quote
In no particular order other than these are the ones that came to mind that are favs of mine....

~ Sakura Wars
~ Princess Nine
~ Digi Charat
~ Rurouni Kenshin
~ Yu Yu Hakusho
~ Bubblegum Crisis Tokyo 2040
~ Sailor Moon (especially the sailor stars series)
~ El Hazard
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Nagisa

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2004 2:22 am Reply with quote
1. Night Shift Nurses 2
2. Beyblade
3. Cookie-san no Newsroom
4. Thundercats
5. Hamtaro
6. Cardcaptors (English dub ONLY!)
7. Cyber City OEDO 808
8. Bible Black
9. Ninja Resurrection
10. Voltage Fighter Gowcaizer

That's all the anime you'll ever need. Cool
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
tigerbalm

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2004 5:38 am Reply with quote
Nagisa wrote:
That's all the anime you'll ever need. Cool

Hahaha. Very funny Nagisa-sama. I wholeheartedly agree with you. That is all the anime that you will ever need to completely quench your insatiable thirst for anime. You could also perhaps add Pokemon, Yu-Gi-Oh and Tekken: The Motion Picture to that awesome list !

I hope you sense a tiny bit of sarcasm here.

Okay, with reference to the question. There are many other titles but this are the ones that popped up, in no particular order:

Uchuu no Stellvia
RahXephon
His and Her Circumstances
Full Metal Panic! and FMP? Fumoffu
Last EXILE
Haibane Renmei
Azumanga Daioh
Witch Hunter Robin
Berserk
All of Hayao Miyazaki's films
eva05

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2004 12:05 pm Reply with quote
tenky777 wrote:
I'm kind of new to anime. I have seen Cowboy Bebop, Evangelion, Ninja Scroll, Akira and Ghost in the Shell. I like them all a lot. I want to know what others i should see. Can anyone give me like 10 or so animes i must watch???.

Well here's 10 that I find to be essentail.

Shin Seki Evangelion (Neon Genesis Evangelion) series (released in USA by ADV but I actually recommend the Japanese versions since ADV performed surgery on the animation and IMHO, ruined a lot of the mood)

Evangelion Death : Evangelion Rebirth (full version never released in USA)

The End of Evangelion (released in USA by Manga Entertainment)

Mobile Suit Gundam Movies 1-3 trilogy (released in the USA by Bandai. The Bandai versions are remastered in both picture/audio department and are amazing.)

Zeta Gundam series (being released in US by Bandai this year)

Mobile Suit Gundam : Char's Counterattack movie (released in the US by Bandai. Truly amazing)

Space Crusier Yamato series 1 (Never released in USA. US version was called StarBlazers and is very good but the release on DVD in the US isn't so great...I think though it may have to do with the original US negatives were very degraded. R2s are totally remasterd and look amazing)

Arrividerci Yamato (Released in the US by Voyager Ent but the mastering is horrendous. Too bad, I still ge msity eyed when I watch this movie...brilliant)

It is worth pausing here for a moment to say that what i have lsited so far are considered to be the "greatest anime of all time" in Japan. And the specific things I have singled out are the most influential over all to today's anime creation. Watch these series and you will see where 90% of anime get their narrative and story telling devices from.

Macross Plus OVA and Movie (Both released in USA by Manga Entertainment. The OVAs look great, but I have the R2 movie so I can't vouch for it's quality)

Macross TV series (released in US by Animego. Unbeatable transforming mech classic!!!)

His and Her Circumstances (released in US by The Right Stuf. ESSENTIAL!!!)

FLCL (released in USA by Sync Point. Essential.)

Giant Robo (released in US by by Manga Ent, but not on DVD. I have R2 DVD set and it rules Anime exclamation)

Dirty Pair (original series is hilarious, I have R2s never seen US versions, no idea if they're even available)

Genesis Climber Mospeada (released in the US by ADV...but I've got R2's never seen US version)

Wings of Honeamisse movie (released in US by Manga Ent but I have region 2 after hearing many negative thigns about the US release)

Venus Wars (released in the US by US Manga Corps...I like it but lots of others I know didn't. I like the manga even more
but...)

Ideon series (animation is pretty bad but the stories are really great)

Ideon : Be Invoked movie (never released in the USA. Conclusion to the apocalyptic scifi series)

AT Votoms series (released in USA by Nuon. Original super soldier series about ultimate bad ass Chirico Cuvie).

Fang of the Sun Dougram series (classic mech anime, heavy on the politics, never released outside of Japan)

KikoChan (hilarious series about little girl who can do everything but is terrified of spiders. never released in USA)

Jungle Wa Itsumo Halle Nochi Gu (Defies description. Funniest show ever. Never released in USA)

DigiCharat (original shorts are hilarious...longer episodes are not funny at all sadly. No idea if these ever came out in USA)

Anime no Ai Wa Comedy Hour (hope I'm spelling that right...It features a little psycho hamster called Ebi-Chu. Absolutely hilarious, but humor is adult. Never released in the USA).

I could go on forever, but a lot of my fav stuff has yet to materialize on these shores Sad

j
Carol Maxwell

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2004 11:41 am Reply with quote
Outlaw Star
Ruroni Kenshin
Trigun
Lupin the III
Gundam Wing
Witch Hunter Robin
Tenchi Muyo and Universe (didn't like Tokyo too much.)
Mobile Suit Gundam
Bubblegum Crisis (THE ORIGINAL ONE!!)
X OAV

Also, Google and other search engines can help with finding new animes too.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2004 1:44 pm Reply with quote
Hmm. Another suggestions thread eh? OK, here's my top 10 favorites for the time being (in this order), I know you've seen some of them, so just skip em':

1. Rurouni Kenshin (subbed)
2. GTO (subbed)
3. X (TV)
4. Inuyasha
5. Berserk or Ninja Scroll (movie)
6. Mobile Suit Gundam (any series, but go in order for UC)
7. Cowboy Bebop
8. Tenchi
9. Hellsing
10. Love Hina (subbed)

The top 5 are definate, but the last 5 are just based on what I've seen more recently. Welcome to the forum!
MasterFuu

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2004 2:01 am Reply with quote
These are truly fantastic anime I will never forget :

GTO
Hunter X Hunter
Berserk
Golden Boy
Video Girl AI
Fruits Basket
Samurai X OVA's
Inu-Yasha

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2004 2:37 am Reply with quote
My list is going to sound like rehash but oh well and if you seen any of these well thats up to you wheter or not to watch them again or not:
1.Inuyasha(make sure you see the Shichinintai arc 103-123/122)
2.Rurouni Kenshin(The Kyoto arc is best,most people stay away from the Chiristian arc)
3.Vision of Escaflowne
4.Yu Yu Hakusho the ghost files
5.Silent Moebius
6.Berserk
7.Tenchi Muyo
8.OutlawStar
9.Soul Hunter
10.Naruto
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3