• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Region coding.

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2004 1:09 pm Reply with quote
I read the recent thread about PAL formatted DVDs and was wondering about region coding settings on particular devices.

In addition, I was thinking of getting some other region coded discs (2 and 3), but I'm not sure how to go about preparing the proper hardware for it.

I saw suggestions to get a region free DVD player and would like to know more about it.

Right now, my living room has some DVD player I can't even remember the name of. It occasionally stutters when a DVD is inside it, but if you rewind and then fast forward, it fixes itself. I think it's R1 only.

My computer has an Inter Video DVD-ROM (or something like that) installed and can be configured to switch region codings, but is limited to a certain number until the entire thing has to be reset.

And finally, there's my PS2. I looked in the DVD setup menu, and it says it can switch region codings. The problem though is that I don't remember where the instructions are and am not sure if the codings are switchable for a certain number or not.

Will my PS2 play any region DVD, or should I just get a region free player? Thanks!

Last edited by Tony K. on Wed Sep 15, 2004 1:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
Sword of Whedon

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2004 1:46 pm Reply with quote
There's some kind of boot disc you can get for PS2 that will let you play multi-region, PS2 will not do PAL-NTSC conversion however.

You might be able to find something that will patch your DVD-ROM, I personally recommend Lite-On drives for ease in this
Louie-kun

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2004 2:10 pm Reply with quote
The boot disc Whedon was talking about is called Action Replay. It's like a Gameshark that let's you play NTSC dvds from any region.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2004 3:11 pm Reply with quote
Louie-kun wrote:
The boot disc Whedon was talking about is called Action Replay. It's like a Gameshark that let's you play NTSC dvds from any region.

A friend of mine has a Gameshark for his PS2 and he says it's caused some glitches in his system. But then again, he got it (the PS2) around Xmas of the year it came out. So, maybe it's just a system glitch or an incompatibility issue.

Anyway, where could I get this "boot disc," or are these illegal? The word "boot" kinda gives it a bad connotation. Are there any possible side affects I should be weary of?

This is my second PS2 and I bought it March of 2003 because the old one (which was one of the first that came out) finally ran out of juice (so to speak). So, I don't think there'd be any problems...
kamiboy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2004 5:31 pm Reply with quote
Tony K. wrote:
Anyway, where could I get this "boot disc," or are these illegal? The word "boot" kinda gives it a bad connotation. Are there any possible side affects I should be weary of?

You should be able to get it anywhere that sells videogames and videogame related merchandise. It is, as far as I know, a perfectly legal product. Myself having a European boot disc that renders my PS2 region-free I can vouch for them, or at least the one I'm using. There should be no side effects, you just pop the disc in and once it is done doing it's magic you pop it out and exchange it with the DVD you want to watch. That is it.
gnollman

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2004 9:41 pm Reply with quote
You can buy a region-free DVD player for around 300 USD or so at various places on the internet. Just go to Yahoo stores and search for 'region-free....'
frostedsaiyan

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2004 9:44 pm Reply with quote
Is a region free dvd player illegal? I'm saying this because most bootleg dvds are region 0 or region free.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
gnollman

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2004 9:51 pm Reply with quote
frostedsaiyan wrote:
Is a region free dvd player illegal? I'm saying this because most bootleg dvds are region 0 or region free.

I don't believe so. Besides, the point of a region-free player is to play discs from regions of other areas, not to play region-free discs, which don't need region-free players anyway.

So,

Region-free players, R1-R6 DVDs
Region-free DVDs, any player will do.
cyrax777

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2004 2:26 am Reply with quote
you can probly find a bios flash for your rom drive to make it region free. Thats what i did with my dvd-burner.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Tenchi

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2004 3:39 am Reply with quote
A firmware "flash" was only half of what I needed to be able to watch my Region 2 Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou DVDs on my computer without worrying about it being stuck at R2. I also needed to download DVD Genie in order to give me permanent region switch "refills" in WinDVD.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
kamiboy

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2004 4:41 am Reply with quote
Quote:
You can buy a region-free DVD player for around 300 USD or so at various places on the internet. Just go to Yahoo stores and search for 'region-free....'

Holy crap dancing on a stick! I surely hope not! You can get a pretty spiffy region-free DVD player that, in addition to being region-free, has component outs and can play DivX, Xvid and mp3 files for about 130$ here in Denmark. And Denmark is very expensive compared to the US so I think Tony should be able to find a region-free DVD player for 100$ or less, easily.

In the end buying a cheapo region-refree DVD player is my recommendation over using a swap disc with the PS2. When it comes down to it the PS2 is just not a very good dvd player. Also I would make sure that my television can handle PAL video signals since that is what the DVD player will be spitting out when fed PAL discs. It should say in your televisions manual whether it can display PAL or only NTSC.
Dilandau

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2004 7:00 am Reply with quote
From what I have heard (and I checked): J List carries region free portable DVD players...all of them are less than $100, I think.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2004 1:51 pm Reply with quote
kamiboy wrote:
Holy crap dancing on a stick! I surely hope not! You can get a pretty spiffy region-free DVD player that, in addition to being region-free, has component outs and can play DivX, Xvid and mp3 files for about 130$ here in Denmark. And Denmark is very expensive compared to the US so I think Tony should be able to find a region-free DVD player for 100$ or less, easily.

Wow. $130 you say? It's not in Dutch is it? I did find one player that looked impressive, but I have no idea how to shop for one of these things. It's called the "Jaton PSD7611K Progressive Scan DVD Player." Here's the specs:

Quote:
SPECIAL FEATURES

-Progressive Scan
-DTS, Dolby Digital 5.1 and AC-3 Stereo Surround Sound Decoder
-All Region (Selectable Region 0-6)
-Perfect NTSC/PAL Conversion
-High Quality 480p Digital Scan Video Picture
-Composite Video, S-Video, and Component Video Output
-S/PDIF Optical Output
-Built-in 96kHz/24-bit D/A Converter
-Plays DVD, DVDR, DVDRW, CD, CDR, CDRW, VCD 1.1, 2.0, and 3.0, SVCD, AVPhile DVD Navigation 1.0, MP3
-Karaoke Functions Support 2 Microphones with Echo and Volume Analog Control
-Fast Forward Speeds 2, 4, 8, and 16x
-Zoom Controls 2.0, 2.5, 3.0 . . . up to 8.5x
-UL/FCC/CE/FDA Safety Compliant
-Universal Power Voltage (Supports 100 to 300)
-Compatible with Jaton's SoundPlus 5.1 Speaker System Without a Receiver
-Firmware Upgradeable
-30 Days Labor, 1 Year Parts Warranty

It's $239.99 + shipping. So what's your opinion?
Samurai CDZ

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2004 2:45 pm Reply with quote
My boss bought a dvd player at Target for like 40 bucks and she says it plays everything. Though since I haven't seen it I don't know what she means exactly, but I believe it plays all regions.

On another note, her $300 dvd player didn't work very well at all. She couldn't even watch Spirited Away's R1, IIRC.

IMO, go for something cheaper. $100 should be sufficient to get a good player that plays all regions.
ZahmiraV

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2004 3:21 pm Reply with quote
I've never had any experience with Region Free DVD players, but I have seem the difference between a cheap R1 player and a decent player. In this case I would suggest spending a little more money and not buy the cheapest you see.

Also a good idea is to check reviews on the Internet for the DVD player you are considering. If lots of people like it, good! If everyone complains about the same problem, bad!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4