• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Aquarion EVOL TV Anime's New Promo Video Streamed

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 1:24 am Reply with quote
Awesome Very Happy Can't wait for it.
J3N0V4

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 4:06 am Reply with quote
Lol. What I got out of that was that for the last while in Aquarion universe, Men and Women cannot Gattai for law reasons. Who would of guessed conservatives would rule the world 12000 years after the first season right
Micro_Ice

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 6:59 am Reply with quote
Awesome looks like a bit like tengen toppa gurren logan, lets see if its as good
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 8:38 am Reply with quote
Here's hoping third time's the charm. Kawamori seems to want to keep trying this premise until it works. Of course, this time they have Mari Okada working on it; she's been on a lot of good projects lately.

Ah well. Regardless, it's got music by Yoko Kanno, so hopefully that will be good. And hey, maybe I can watch it on NicoNico, since it's not on a workday! There are so few series I am looking forward to this winter that I'm not going to write anything off yet that has a bit of promise.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 9:00 pm Reply with quote
Awesome can't wait Smile

And we are in heavy need of some mecha action.

Oh man, I just realized as you said and as the official site shows we actually got Yoko Kanno confirmation Very Happy
rojse

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 8:50 am Reply with quote
DangerMouse wrote:
Awesome can't wait Smile

And we are in heavy need of some mecha action.

Rinne No Lagrange is also coming out - that looks like it could be another good mecha show.

Back on topic (sort of) is it worth watching the original Aquarion series before starting this show next season? I haven't heard much good about the original show on this site yet, and want some opinions about the merits of the original show to decide if I want to watch it or not.
mufurc

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 11:01 am Reply with quote
rojse wrote:
Back on topic (sort of) is it worth watching the original Aquarion series before starting this show next season? I haven't heard much good about the original show on this site yet, and want some opinions about the merits of the original show to decide if I want to watch it or not.

I loved the original Aquarion so you might want to take my gushing with a grain of salt... but the thing is, Aquarion was Gurren-Lagann before Gurren-Lagann was even conceived. It's basically a super robot show on drugs, one that deliberately takes all the clichés and conventions, the hot-blooded passion, shouting ridiculous attack names, cheesy messages, transformation sequences, etc. etc, cranks them up to the max and plays them very earnestly - except it's perfectly aware of how ridiculous and silly it is. Which makes it absolutely hilarious on the one hand, and yet its earnestness makes the drama work as well (it doesn't last more than a few episodes, anyway).

The reason why it gets so much flak is that many people either take it at face value and think that it really tries to be serious (to be fair it does for a handful of episodes, when it remembers that it's supposed to have a plot), or simply don't "get it" because they're not familiar with the conventions of the genre it builds upon. It's also a Kawamori anime, and so it has a rather romantic approach, which I suppose deters some people. (Imagine it as the bastard child of Getter Robo and Escaflowne.)

So as far as I'm concerned, while Aquarion is not the Best Anime Ever! it's very solid entertainment as long as you're not expecting a serious mecha show or a parody. Also, it has awesome music (properly bombastic at parts, endearing at other parts) by courtesy of Kanno Yoko and some guy I'd never heard of before, and great designs for the antagonists.

I'm fairly excited about the new series, though I'm a bit apprehensive... we'll see, we'll see.
Wrangler

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 9:43 pm Reply with quote
Well, it looks interesting. I hope its more than fan service and fancy CGI. I missed out seeing the original Aquarion, so coming on board with this one may not be so bad.

As far being fantasy version of Getter Robo...i hope its good story. I've been having trouble liking these CGI shows since some 'Mecha art look kinda crappy to me as with blending into the animated hand art verses computer inserts. Horizon in the Middle of Nowhere has 'Mecha that look good on the screen.
MrHatandClogs

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 12:08 am Reply with quote
Looks pretty awesome...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1