• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Cartoon Network Has No Plans for One Piece's Return

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Greed1914

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 2:17 am Reply with quote
So does this just apply to reruns, or do they mean no plans to air any new episodes too? Stopping without even finishing an arc seems pretty ridiculous, especially now that Funimation has vastly improved the dubs. If it's just reruns, that's fine, but I really hope that's all it means.
Monster in a box

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 2:19 am Reply with quote
Wow.
stopher87

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 2:29 am Reply with quote
Good. I never liked there dub anyway.
Cain Highwind

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 2:31 am Reply with quote
Meh, I call early April Fool's Joke, at least I'll think so until we get some more official word. It just seems really suspicious to me (that and I'm stubbornly optimistic).
Nebs

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 2:45 am Reply with quote
Actually there was a last minute change in regards to Bakugan. CN has just removed (literally, like within the past 24 hours) the show from Toonami's schedule. Blue Dragon now airs at 10:00, followed by Samurai Jack at 10:30. Bakugan must've done REALLY bad in the ratings last week for them to remove it after only one airing. Perhaps this'll change their minds about One Piece?

Strange about Samurai Jack. Adult Swim said they were going to add the series to their schedule, but here they come & put it back on Toonami instead.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Cain Highwind

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 2:49 am Reply with quote
stopher87 wrote:
Good. I never liked there dub anyway.

Wow! What's YOUR problem, anyway? I could go into great detail what's wrong with that way of thinking, but I'm lazy and it's late.
MetatronM

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 2:55 am Reply with quote
Nebs wrote:
Actually there was a last minute change in regards to Bakugan. CN has just removed (literally, like within the past 24 hours) the show from Toonami's schedule. Blue Dragon now airs at 10:00, followed by Samurai Jack at 10:30. Bakugan must've done REALLY bad in the ratings last week for them to remove it after only one airing. Perhaps this'll change their minds about One Piece?

Strange about Samurai Jack. Adult Swim said they were going to add the series to their schedule, but here they come & put it back on Toonami instead.
AS said they were THINKING ABOUT putting Samurai Jack on. Key difference. Very Happy

Anyway, I call shenanigans. Aside from the whole Bakugan disaster, FUNimation said just last week that One Piece was not on hiatus, that CN had more episodes, and that the schedule was simply being rotated.

Seems to me like there is miscommunication somewhere on somebody's end, whether it's Toonzone, CN, or FUNi.
Emerje

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 3:01 am Reply with quote
So who do we believe here? FUNi says Cartoon Network only put the show on hiatus while CN says they have no more episodes to show.

You know, CN, maybe if you expanded Toonami back to 8pm and stopped showing an hour of Goosebumps repeats you'd have some room on your schedule. Rolling Eyes I guess Goosebumps must be doing something right for them to still be showing it.

Incidentally, even though Samurai Jack is on this weekend, Bakugan seems to be back next week. Then again, TV Guide seems to think Blue Dragon is on again next week too. Seems like the constant changes and temporary substitutions are confusing everyone.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
MetatronM

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 3:09 am Reply with quote
Emerje wrote:
Incidentally, even though Samurai Jack is on this weekend, Bakugan seems to be back next week. Then again, TV Guide seems to think Blue Dragon is on again next week too. Seems like the constant changes and temporary substitutions are confusing everyone.
Cartoon Network's flash schedule is showing both Blue Dragon and Samurai Jack continuing in the same timeslots next week.

TV Guide is just slow to update long term plans when these kind of schedule changes happen.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 3:11 am Reply with quote
It is amazing that Goosebumps is still on. When it showed up around Halloween it seemed appropriate, but they've aired every episode repeatedly. Seriously, it's time to drop that stupid show and expand Toonami again. Reruns of practically anything from Toonami would have to be better. But then again, maybe they don't realize that it's March considering they still air those dumb eye-catches using that song about fall being invented by grown-ups.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 3:11 am Reply with quote
So let me get this straight, they're not going to show repeats then? Are they going to show new shows when they get them from Funi?
jr240483

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 3:21 am Reply with quote
Something Tells me that this is staring to feel like case closed all over again. Cause i have a feeling that all the remakes of the 4kids epsiodes will be on the uncut box sets since those version are already out on dvd.if that's the case it's future is going to get really bleak which would cause fan to go to fansubs. A no win situation for everyone.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Wyvern

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 3:29 am Reply with quote
Nebs wrote:

Samurai Jack was probably added at the last minute to fill the hole in the schedule. It may still end up on AS in the long run.

Toonzone's wording is vague on this. "We have run out of new episodes" could just mean the current season of OP episodes is over and they are waiting for new ones. But it could also mean that the show is canceled.

It's always been a consistently well-rated show on Toonami, even during the 4Kids days. It was no Naruto, but it was usually the #2 show on the block (even before it was cut down to just two hours.) So it seems silly that they'd cancel it now, especially since ratings reportedly improved once Funi's dub began airing. And doubly so because the show they replaced it with was apparentally a dismal failure.

I think we need to wait for FUNimation to comment on this before we can know anything for sure.
ConanSan

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 3:31 am Reply with quote
Well, Samurai Jack is just about the best we could of hoped for in this situation.

Well, Samurai Jack and Megas XLR maybe.
MetatronM

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 3:34 am Reply with quote
Wyvern wrote:
It's always been a consistently well-rated show on Toonami, even during the 4Kids days. It was no Naruto, but it was usually the #2 show on the block (even before it was cut down to just two hours.) So it seems silly that they'd cancel it now, especially since ratings reportedly improved once Funi's dub began airing. And doubly so because the show they replaced it with was apparentally a dismal failure.

I think we need to wait for FUNimation to comment on this before we can know anything for sure.
Agreed. That's really the thing about this whole thing. There's just no way you can look at it and say it makes sense, assuming they do mean it's cancelled and not just that the season is over.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4