• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
New York Anime Festival 2008 - State of the Anime Industry

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tofusensei

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 8:47 pm Reply with quote
Sounds like a great panel, wish I could have been there ^^;

Great job this year, ANN.

-Tofu
tygerchickchibi

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 9:05 pm Reply with quote
Unfortunately, I had missed a lot, and this is one of the panels I wanted to see.

When I was at NYCC, I spent most of the time in the dealer's room. I think it gets more action there than anything else. xD

I didn' t know the panel rooms were such in a small area, but yeah.

I'll have to agree with Tofusensei here, this was a pretty good article, it seemed very unbiased IMO, and at least we know a bit on what happened to Toonami.

I had spoke to Steve Blum about it., he pretty much said the same thing, he found out the day he went in to record Tom's lines.

That must really suck.
abstract-alchemist

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 12:33 pm Reply with quote
Pretty much sounds like what industry always say at anime conventions. It's interesting, but everything sounded really diplomatic and vague, no direct answers. Not that I blame them, since so much changes have occurred recently in the industry that most companies simply have to ride out the wave and wait for everything to stabilize.

I wonder if DVDs still remain a viable solution? I like Bandai's method of 13 episodes for $40 dollars since that's a better price than Geneon's old 3 episodes for $30, and Funimation's rescue of titles is of course always a good thing to see.

I think that the best strategy to remain in business is to figure out which titles will sell, and not simply license everything in sight hoping to find the next Full Metal Alchemist or DBZ.

In addition, i think podcasts only really reach a portion of anime fandom, and there needs to be an alternative form of advertising to reach all those fans which are off the wire. It's clear to me that even people who typically consider themselves "otaku" are unaware of all the avenues of getting their anime cheaper and better like going to sites such as Joost. This is clearly a problem, since it's almost certainly the majority of the anime fan base.
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 12:04 am Reply with quote
I do like the trend of releasing boxsets instead of single disc volumes. Makes importing R1 anime DVDs simpler and cheaper.

Turns out one of the local gadget shops has the Honneamise Blu-ray/DVD set, but it can wait till I have an HDTV and a PS3 (stand-alone Blu-ray players still cost way too much). Or maybe Bandai will actually release the DVD separately.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 10:21 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Pretty much sounds like what industry always say at anime conventions. It's interesting, but everything sounded really diplomatic and vague, no direct answers.
For the record, I agreed, and looked forward, to being on the panel because I thought I would get the opportunity to disagree with the other panelists. I expected them to cover something up, or sugarcoat the issues, or whatever... I've seen it in the past.

However in the end, everything they said was bang on accurate, and all I could do was add slightly different, but supporting, points of view.

I think you should give the participants in this panel some credit for being truthful and admitting that they didn't have all the answers yet and that they were trying a whole bunch of different things.

Well, I did get to disagree on the amateur podcaster thing, but that was pretty minor.

Quote:
I wonder if DVDs still remain a viable solution?

They better remain a viable option in one form or another (singles, sets, premium sets, bargain sets,etc...) because for most titles, there is no other viable alternative. If anime on packaged media (DVD/Blu-Ray) becomes unviable, this industry will implode. Even with various new formats of revenue coming into the picture, packaged media will remain the biggest revenue generator for most titles. Exceptions are titles like Naruto, for which packaged video media is almost irrelevant.

Quote:
I think that the best strategy to remain in business is to figure out which titles will sell, and not simply license everything in sight hoping to find the next Full Metal Alchemist or DBZ.

Most companies figured this out about 5 years ago when they stopped licensing everything under the sun. Problem is, they still need to speculate/forecast which titles will sell, and sometimes they get it wrong. And of course, it depends on the costs, a title doing 500 copies might be more profitable than a title doing 5000.

-t
crilix

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 5:03 pm Reply with quote
Statements like "anime in Japan is ad-supported" makes me question whether that person ever saw a Japanese late-night anime broadcast. And second, I've noticed some game ads on ANN's video service in the past. I don't know, have you guys considered that the gaming industry is, to a degree, a competitor to the anime industry? If game distributors are expecting returns from profiting off those ads, doesn't it occur to anybody that driving an audience's money to other entertainment is not good for the anime business?
tygerchickchibi

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 5:12 pm Reply with quote
tempest wrote:
Quote:
Pretty much sounds like what industry always say at anime conventions. It's interesting, but everything sounded really diplomatic and vague, no direct answers.
For the record, I agreed, and looked forward, to being on the panel because I thought I would get the opportunity to disagree with the other panelists. I expected them to cover something up, or sugarcoat the issues, or whatever... I've seen it in the past.

However in the end, everything they said was bang on accurate, and all I could do was add slightly different, but supporting, points of view.

I think you should give the participants in this panel some credit for being truthful and admitting that they didn't have all the answers yet and that they were trying a whole bunch of different things.

Well, I did get to disagree on the amateur podcaster thing, but that was pretty minor.

That's why I said it was actually pleasant. I've seen other panels and I hear the same thing, though I really don't have too much disagreement. However, it was pretty much to the point and addressed things that I was silently inquiring about.

Anime smile; I have an amateur podcast, it seemed to have picked up a little, but it probably wont be as big as other podcasts, of course..

Not yet, but I'm trying. xD
billyarnie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 6:29 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Because Funimation is a public company, they are more for profit, said Sheehan. Their plan is to let anime fans sample series before buying them by putting the first few episodes of each show on Youtube, iTunes, Xbox Live, PS3 market, Hulu, and others. As far as broadcasting goes, Toonami is gone, but Cartoon Network will probably keep airing anime. Other channels like Sci Fi and IFC are stepping up, as well, and there are other companies who still want to get into the game.

But look at what they currently air now: CN has Pokemon, Bakugan, and for now, Naruto. Transformers: Animated is still on in reruns, but no official news on Season 3. Enough to satisfy the 6-11 demographic CN still aims for.
[adult swim] has Bleach, Code Geass & Moribito premieres, InuYasha & Fullmetal Alchemist in reruns. But can licensees trust [as] to handle new anime? Shin-Chan was dumped to Video-only with 5 episodes left in Season 2. CG & Moribito were in the 1:00 AM hour with a 4:00 AM repeat, then they were exiled to the 5:00 AM "Graveyard" with NO repeat! Moribito isn't even being legally streamed!
IFC & Sci Fi have the upper hand at the moment...
Quote:
McKeever said that with the case of Toonami, it was just a simple matter of something else taking its place.

Yes, the new Friday night "fantasy/adventure" block is a new venue for Action programming, but without any anime, it will Never replace Toonami in fans' hearts & minds. The block doesn't even have a brandable name... yet. CN has been focusing more on the shows in the block than the block itself. Even the Thursday Comedy block & the Saturday morning action block get promos identifying the block as well as shows. Toonami was the 1st to do that & did it well in its heyday. Toonami became identified as an anime block because more & more high-energy action cartoons were anime.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
billyarnie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 6:34 pm Reply with quote
tygerchickchibi wrote:
I'll have to agree with Tofusensei here, this was a pretty good article, it seemed very unbiased IMO, and at least we know a bit on what happened to Toonami.

I had spoke to Steve Blum about it., he pretty much said the same thing, he found out the day he went in to record Tom's lines.

That must really suck.

And figuring that was maybe a month or 2 ago, depending on how far ahead he had to record, it must have hurt to keep quiet until it aired.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Hon'ya-chan

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 6:37 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The website wants to work directly with Japanese companies, so that new anime series can be streamed online for free simultaneously with the Japanese broadcast, with revenue being generated from ads.

Online ad-supported broadcasting would allow the companies to make money, while not costing fans anything.

And I won't watch it if i'm subjected to a brief indent ad before the actual show, or have "pop-up" ads appear somewhere in the actual viewing of the show. Yahoo! recently has made a nasty habit of making you watch a Butterfingers "show" before even watching news clips on the front page, and YouTube inserts a brief banner on the bottom of some videos. The hell i'm gonna be subjected to stuff that I may )or in some never again) will buy.

What I didn't see that was pulled up is what about On-Demand Pressing of DVD's? I've always complained about how we in the USA are always getting screwed in relation to not getting shows that are far superior to US equivalents and already released properties in the USA. One example is why we have Initial D, yet we don't get Wangan Midnight or OverRev!

Now the Book Industry has changed abit by allowing publishers and authors to print a set quantity of books to fill demand/manageable print runs of hundreds instead of not going into the hundreds of thousands required to put in Borders or Barnes and Noble; and iTunes proves that people will buy songs they want to hear and keep instead of getting albums full of crap. I don't see how this can't be implemented with Anime.

Press anime to manageable/on-demand runs, or allow fans to create personalized "sets" of episodes or even order individual episodes if they so choose.

Last edited by Hon'ya-chan on Wed Oct 01, 2008 6:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
Top Gun

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 6:51 pm Reply with quote
Yes, God forbid you have to watch a 30-second ad before viewing an anime episode. That is surely a horrific inconvenience to have to undergo. Rolling Eyes
Hon'ya-chan

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 6:54 pm Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:
Yes, God forbid you have to watch a 30-second ad before viewing an anime episode. That is surely a horrific inconvenience to have to undergo. Rolling Eyes

I prefer my bandwidth to uploading the episode, not some stupid advert about talking candybars.
tygerchickchibi

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 11:15 pm Reply with quote
billyarnie wrote:
tygerchickchibi wrote:

That must really suck.

And figuring that was maybe a month or 2 ago, depending on how far ahead he had to record, it must have hurt to keep quiet until it aired.

Nope, it was that same day. >.>;;
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1