• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Skip Beat! (TV).

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 6:30 am Reply with quote
Skip Beat! (TV)

I haven't seen any topics about this show yet, though that could be because subs have been a bit slower than other series.

Anyway, I read the preview for this manga ages ago in Shojo Beat and thought it was interesting, though I wasn't drawn to it enough to go out and buy the manga. But I was definitely happy to discover that it would be an anime, so I could watch it there.

So far, nothing has happened that I didn't already know about, but it looks like it will be a fun series.

Also, I seem to be tripping over Mamoru Miyano. He is popping up in every anime I watch, or so it seems at time (I've checked out World Destruction though only part of one episode, watched half of Death Note, all of Ouran Host Club, all of Vampire Knight, and am eagerly awaiting more of Vampire Knight Guilty). Of course, I am certainly not complaining because I love his voice. He also plays very diverse characters and so, even if his voice is recognizable, he definitely has good acting range.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 9:05 pm Reply with quote
I love the manga, but I'm disappointed in the TV series. It's not that it changed anything from the manga aside from Sho's character design (he looks much beefier and older in the manga) unless its some small details I'm just forgetting. It's that I'm really disappointed that the series apparently has a rather low budget for the animation.

The art is sub-par to begin with and it really doesn't looks good compared to nearly everything else this season. Currently, I'd rank it second or third from the bottom. Kyoko generally looks fine, but everything else is spotty and even at its best, it looks dated. But a few parts looked downright bad.

The biggest part though is that while the voice acting was fine (Marina Inoue is a perfect fit for Kyoko), some of the scenes just fell flat on the animation side. Something about spoiler[the birth of the evil Kyoko spirits] just seemed... not right. Like it went through the motions and copied what was on the pages of the manga, but just lacked the vision to make it work on screen.

I kind of expected this to happen when I saw the studio (hit or miss and last season's sequel to Someday's Dreamer was big lowbudget miss) and the director (little experience as a director and nothing notable as one), so I set my expectations for the series low. I'm just disappointed the series failed to surpass those. You'd think they would get a better studio, a better budget and someone more reliable and with more experience to direct an adaptation of a series that has consistently been a best seller in Japan, but apparently not.
Westlo

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 1:16 am Reply with quote
HAL studios did a great job with ARIA, heck ARIA is one of the best sellers on dvd this year in japan.
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 6:31 am Reply with quote
I guess I have a higher tolerance for low budget anime, because I didn't find anything that bad about it. Of course, the first episode is usually one of the best in terms of art, so that could change.

But I watched and enjoyed xxxHolic's anime despite sometimes atrocious art. So I'm not worried too much about that aspect: in the end, I care much more about the story.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 9:55 pm Reply with quote
marie-antoinette wrote:
I guess I have a higher tolerance for low budget anime, because I didn't find anything that bad about it. Of course, the first episode is usually one of the best in terms of art, so that could change.

I seem to be the only person that has had much of an issue with it. I do think there were a few spots that were just outright bad, but maybe a lot of it was just my disappointment that it wasn't getting the budget it deserved. It also probably didn't help that a lot of other stuff I've seen this season looks great. I'll see if my opinion on it changes over the next few episodes as I get used to it.
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 6:12 am Reply with quote
We can definitely agree the the animation isn't anything special, at any rate.

I was reading Carlo's review in the season preview, and I have to say that I may agree that it kept the real hook of the series from being shown for too long. That being said, I already knew about this hook, so I didn't mind as much. I assume the same would be true for many of the Japanese viewers, since the manga has been out for quite some time. So I'm not sure how much that really hurts the anime. But I can see how someone who had no idea of the basic premise could be turned off at the beginning.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 4:37 pm Reply with quote
marie-antoinette wrote:

I was reading Carlo's review in the season preview, and I have to say that I may agree that it kept the real hook of the series from being shown for too long. That being said, I already knew about this hook, so I didn't mind as much. I assume the same would be true for many of the Japanese viewers, since the manga has been out for quite some time. So I'm not sure how much that really hurts the anime. But I can see how someone who had no idea of the basic premise could be turned off at the beginning.

Yeah, I can definitely see why people would want to walk away. They probably should have found a way to get to the hook quicker than they did, or at least hint ahead of time that this was very temporary, but you need to see it and get those feelings to really appreciate the transformation and direction the series go.

The thing is, I'm not sure how much they could have shortened it and even if they did, I'm not sure they would have been able to have a decent stopping point for the episode. I think this may have just been an unfortunate necessity and the only thing they really could have done was start the episode off with a brief glimpse of Kyoko overhearing Sho, or some other hints early on that things would change soon.
suchibu

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 5:22 pm Reply with quote
its sad this anime will probably be done before the real meat of the story is told. I have to admit i am one of the avid manga readers that will wait impatiently for each new chapter, so is my wife. so far they haven't skipped even one chapter and for the most part every detail from the manga has been kept. spoiler[if it is a 24 episode series and it keeps to the 2 chapters per episode its been going at right now it will end just after sho's music video. the real meat and potatoes of this series starts with the dark moon arc. there we get real action like ren falling in love with kyoko, sho protecting kyoko from a staker and truly starting to show real interest in her as well... ] this is a series which i dont know if it will be a good fit for anime because every chapter would need to be done as there are very few that could be skipped without missing some small but important part of the story.
there has only been 2 female manga charicters who have had a seroius impact on me. kyoko is one and the other is tohru from fruits basket.
gibbage

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 2:19 pm Reply with quote
I also notice the animation is on the low end, compaired to something like Index or Toradora, but the story is very fun, so I look past it! Im REALLY enjoying this series! I hope there is a 2nd season, but I doubt it. Its attracting very little attention.
Aylinn

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 3:36 pm Reply with quote
It seems not to be popular because it‘s not widely discussed but it means nothing. If DVD sales are good, Skip Beat may have a second season. I hope it will I want Kuu arc to be animated.

The ratings are not good but it’s on Sunday night at 2am, so it’s hard to expect high ratings.

I enjoy ainme. However, I don’t like how they changed the scene in episode 10, this thumb down was Confused really, one would think why Kyoko makes a lot of fuss over it, it’s not even remotely as vulgar as flipping someone off.
gibbage

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 3:01 pm Reply with quote
I was trying to figure out that thumbs down thing myself. I figured it was a cultural thing. I can understand what it means, its rather universal, but it seems to have such an effect on her, that she seems rather remorseful for doing it. It seems to be haunting her way more then any bird flippage would.
Webbmaster62

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 3:43 pm Reply with quote
That's probably also why there going mainstream on Cr to get more views and product to see how Skip Beat is doing over here. The fans here might be able to get going better. Cool
Aylinn

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 5:12 pm Reply with quote
gibbage wrote:
I was trying to figure out that thumbs down thing myself. I figured it was a cultural thing. I can understand what it means, its rather universal, but it seems to have such an effect on her, that she seems rather remorseful for doing it. It seems to be haunting her way more then any bird flippage would.

Actually, this thumbs down was put instead of flipping someone off which is a gesture she used in the manga. It is the reason why Kyoko avoided Ren and was paranoid about encountering him. I don't know why flipping someone off was changed into thumbs down. Skip Beat is airing on late-night timeslot, so the baleful influence on children is out of question.

Episode 11
I like the male sounding voice Kyoko (Marina Inoue) is using for Bo Smile
azn_animelover

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 7:11 pm Reply with quote
i love skip beat! it's a great manga and anime!^^ Mr. Green
Hentai_JP

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 12:41 am Reply with quote
I was pleasantly surprised to find Skip Beat! so involving and fun to watch. Maraphoning through 25 episodes in one day takes some dedication you know Wink . This is a very good series in comedy & drama and some romance mix of genres. "Acting" theme is a plus for me as well since I was in the drama club and performed in highschool.

Skip Beat! deserves a recommendation as it's comedy part is on par with Minami-Ke, Strawberry Marshmallow and even School Rumble. Story doesn't lag anywhere and animation is above average as well. Just give it 2-3 episodes and you'll get hooked, finding it difficult to stop watching. Skip Beat! deserves more attention in my opinion so fans of the genres ought to check it out, watch it at Crunchyroll. Oh and yes... it is a little girly...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2