• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - One Hit Child Wonders [2004-08-13]

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kagemusha

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2004 2:25 am Reply with quote
This is one of the few anime review columns that I actually can agree with. Keep them coming.
Fallen Embers

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2004 6:37 am Reply with quote
How come I'm the only one who thinks this was the best volume of Azumanga Daioh? It's weird (my friends too). I mean there wasn't a single moment that wasn't funny or endearing. As opposed to previous volumes, it didn't have that awkward bit where things seem drawn out.

As for RahXephon the movie...in my opinion it's just an excuse to buy the new, better box. The movie isn't worth it. If you've seen the series, you already know most of what's presented (like 12 minutes of significant new footage). If you haven't, it butchers character development worse than the X/1999 movie so bad that you wouldn't want to see it after this movie.

But then I've come to take these reviews with a grain of salt lately. Still, thanks for the reviews Anime smile;
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2004 7:38 am Reply with quote
Fallen Embers wrote:
How come I'm the only one who thinks this was the best volume of Azumanga Daioh?

Well, I happen to be of the opinion that there is no such thing as a "best volume" or "best episode" of Azumanga Daioh. They're all about equally good - and that "equally good" means, in their case, "among the best that anime can be".

- abunai
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Animefreak08

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2004 10:34 am Reply with quote
Kagemusha wrote:
This is one of the few anime review columns that I actually can agree with. Keep them coming.
I agree also I like the humor in it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2004 11:36 am Reply with quote
Fallen Embers wrote:
But then I've come to take these reviews with a grain of salt lately. Still, thanks for the reviews Anime smile;

Heh, we can't all agree with each other. If that happened, then there'd be no point in me ever writing ever again. But thanks for reading anyway, I appreciate it. Anime smile

Thanks for the other comments, guys.
Conorvansmack

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2004 11:39 am Reply with quote
I remember that obnixous little bastard Jordy. Hearing the clip of that song was probably as close as I'll get to an acid flashback, but that's definitely close enough.

Great column, I look forward to it every week.
Shiki MSHTS

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2004 2:31 pm Reply with quote
Conorvansmack wrote:
I remember that obnixous little bastard Jordy. Hearing the clip of that song was probably as close as I'll get to an acid flashback, but that's definitely close enough.

Great column, I look forward to it every week.

Agreed. That was... terrible. It's like lil'G unit, in french. A terrible comparison, but that was... terrible.

A fine shelf life this week. Azumanga is drop dead adorible. Not to mention funny. =D
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Tenchi

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2004 3:07 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, they played both Jordy videos for the longest time in "A rotation" (I think that means once every two hours) on Musique Plus, the French-language version of Much Music. I still think of what they did to that kid as borderline child abuse.

Fortunately, Musique Plus also played Renaud videos a lot, which were always visually interesting, to counteract the suckiness. ("P'tit Voleur" had Renaud and a kid break out of this weird prison where the guards were morphed animal/human hybrids, "La Mère à Titi" showed an entire universe in a wastepaper basket, and, of course, "Morgane de Toi" is the video which would likely never be shown on MTV with about a dozen kids running nude on a beach. Peorth in Oh My Goddess! actually has a swimsuit that says "Morgan[sic] de Toi", so Kosuke Fujishima must be a Renaud fan, as "Morgane" is a very obscure word for "amoreux" I don't think he'd have likely come across elsewhere.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Koe

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2004 4:54 pm Reply with quote
0_0 I cannot stand Jordy... Must... KILL!!! Now that song is stuck in my head!!! Anime cry

Great column, by the way... Anime smile
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2004 7:37 pm Reply with quote
Tenchi wrote:
Yeah, they played both Jordy videos for the longest time in "A rotation" (I think that means once every two hours) on Musique Plus, the French-language version of Much Music. I still think of what they did to that kid as borderline child abuse.

Wow, I've never seen a Jordy music video (fortunately). What were they like?

Thanks for all the feedback guys; I really appreciate it!
darkhunter

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2004 5:42 pm Reply with quote
The column has always been great. RAhxephon the Movie is definitely worth it if you're a fan. I don't see what's the big deal with Azumanga. It has its funny moments but a lot of it is like so lame, like those "only dorks would laugh at stuff like that." But maybe I'm just not into those cutesy and sometimes funny anime.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1