• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: CG Artist Interviewed on Prelim. Battle Angel Designs

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GATSU

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 7:18 am Reply with quote
I thought it was confirmed as early as 2000, when ADV was forced to discontinue the dvds. [Technically 2001, but the story was earlier, if I'm not mistaken.] Doesn't matter, though, since it's been taking too long, either way.
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 10:43 am Reply with quote
Ah, I wish they would make up there mind. From the last news ANN reported I figured Battle Angel went to the scrap heap. Or at least James wasn't interested anymore. Argh.

Well at least the pictures look cool.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
The Xenos

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 12:29 pm Reply with quote
Well, this is pretty standard for a film in development and pre-production. I hope it won't happen, but many films get to this stage and then never get made. Hell, Warner Brothers sunk 60 million dollars into a Superman movie starring Nic Cage, directed by Tim Burton, with a script (originally) by Kevin Smith. I know designs were made. (Horrible designs.) I forget if sets were even built. Yet that film never saw the light of day. (Thankfully.)

Right now Cameron is focusing on his own creation Avatar. Even that, which has actually film and has a ton of post production has very little news on it. Camron is kinda a quirky filmmaker. I think he plays things close to his chest. Plus he went off for a few years to film documentaries about deep sea exploration. (And I really need to check those out.) So, news about Alita has been long coming.

Plus Cameron is experimenting with new cameras and trailblazing new 3D filming techniques. That stuff makes the production even longer.

Meanwhile, breadcrumbs like this give me hope. Stuff is going on. Even if it's on a back burner in favor of his other films, the project is still not cold. Plus it's nice that the interviewer sounds like a fan of the series. The artist seems to have some nice and fitting work on there. Seems like a good fit.

Plus nuggets like this give me hope.
Quote:
With Battle Angel, there was an underlying consensus from our small crew that Alita needed to retain her inherent style and subtle personality as well as that of most of the secondary characters. Key sets and technology represented in the architecture and robotics were also seen as essential.

Anyone else getting excited to see live action deckmen?
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 4:18 pm Reply with quote
Dargonxtc wrote:
Well at least the pictures look cool.

These backdrops certainly look the part, but as soon as we start seeing character designs and learning of potential actors I'll most probably drop any interest these pictures have aroused.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1