• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Discotek Adds Locke the Superman Anime

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 12:24 am Reply with quote
Must have been cheap, because while it may have been popular in the VHS days (I doubt it), I've only come across it twice in any recent time span. Once when I was searching Ishiguro projects (and that was a sequel OVA), and another time when the Destroy All Podcasts guys likened it to Cosmo Police Justy. There's also that Mike Toole article, but I hadn't read it until just a minute ago. It's definitely not some old warm nostalgic title that people remember well like some of the other shows these guys have brought back from the depths.

Back to Toole's article, I'm sad I missed it because I would have enjoyed talking about Leda and that it would be awesome to see it licensed again. The remaster is gorgeous, the lines are sharp and colors pop. It's probably one of the most visually attractive OVAs from that era.
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 12:33 am Reply with quote
I did not see that one coming.

I had heard the title once or twice over the years, but I knew nothing about it until I read Mike Toole's column about anime that were never released on DVD. I'll certainly consider it; the film could be interesting to watch, I find things from that era particularly interesting, and I'd like to reward DiscoTek for good behavior.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 12:52 am Reply with quote
The only time I've ever heard that name (Locke) before was during Final Fantasy III. I first played this game several years after 1994 Square Enix (back in those days, Square Soft owned Final Fantasy, as everyone knows, Enix and Square soft merged years ago.)

While I did recently (year or so ago) bought this game for my Nintendo Wii, It's actually been over an entire decade since I last heard that name come up at all.

Last time I talked about Final Fantasy III was during the time Enix was it's own company and had forums. What are the chances of me finding an anime series with the same name of a Final Fantasy character that has only been used once in Final Fantasy games released so far?

Here is link to the Final Fantasy character, Locke, just to show anyone who hasn't played Final Fantasy 3 some basic information. http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Locke_Cole

On topic: As anyone could guess, this is the first time I've ever heard of this anime. I forgot that Discotek is still around, I've only heard news of them maybe once or twice.

Nice work though Discotek, don't really hear news of any company picking up older series from the 80's that never went into dvd form.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 3:41 am Reply with quote
Haha, most Gringos probably haven't heard of this! Laughing

Used to be, you'd often encounter Locke in discussions about the most powerful beings in the world, along with Goku, Cthulhu, various Marvel and DC characters pre-retcon, etc.

Last edited by enurtsol on Fri Jan 20, 2012 3:48 am; edited 1 time in total
R.G.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 3:44 am Reply with quote
Did you know that this was renamed Locke the Superpower in order to avoid confusion with a certain Man of Steel . . .

(and possible lawsuits from DC as well)
Myaow

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 10:03 am Reply with quote
~*~No horrible Hong Kong dub, no buy~*~

Just kidding. Discotek is such a rock star among licensors!
kawaiibunny3

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 10:48 am Reply with quote
I'm honestly hoping it comes with that old wacky dub

I mean c'mon http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TsKP4v7FcGg

I'll still buy it regardless, but y'know, it would make a nice bonus.

love you lots Discotek~<3
Chrno2

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 1:37 pm Reply with quote
AH SHEEEEEEEET!!! Now we can replace the donated VHS tape we have. Now they should grab 'Cosmo Justy' and 'Ai City'. More classics Discotek.
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 2:08 pm Reply with quote
I was planning on watching the Locke animes soon, but it looks like I'll wait for Discotek's release now. Hopefully the other three Locke animes will come after this one.
chojinnlocke

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 6:09 pm Reply with quote
YES!!!!! I own the Japanese DVD but it doesn't have subs (ouch that one was expensive!)
I do hope they include the terrible dub as well. My brother and I used to use the line "You Can't imagine the deadly time I had on that hellhole Star!" when we had a bad day at work or school. And "You're Quite CRAZY!!" is my Xbox tagline. So far, only a few people have gotten it.
I wish Diskotek would give Dallos a sub release as well.
TheHTRO

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 7:16 pm Reply with quote
R.G. wrote:
Did you know that this was renamed Locke the Superpower in order to avoid confusion with a certain Man of Steel . . .

(and possible lawsuits from DC as well)

Moreover, before CPM had it, it was released by Celebrity Home Entertainment under their "Just For Kids" imprint under the very name you mention.

EDIT: Anime Nation is saying that Best Film and Video released it in 1995. However, I can't be sure if it was them instead of CHE, or if they licensed it after CHE but before CPM.
JuicyB

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 7:39 pm Reply with quote
Never heard of this one, but I'm interested. I've got a weakness for these old anime movies.
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 8:17 pm Reply with quote
chojinnlocke wrote:
I do hope they include the terrible dub as well. My brother and I used to use the line "You Can't imagine the deadly time I had on that hellhole Star!" when we had a bad day at work or school. And "You're Quite CRAZY!!" is my Xbox tagline. So far, only a few people have gotten it.

Discotek answered this on Facebook. Locke will be a dual-audio release.
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 10:49 pm Reply with quote
Maybe we need to play Disco Inferno every time Discotek gets a new anime license. Smile
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 10:54 pm Reply with quote
Lord Geo wrote:
chojinnlocke wrote:

Discotek answered this on Facebook. Locke will be a dual-audio release.

Boss. That's like twice the entertainment, even if it's not all entertaining in the way intended.

What these releases could really use is some extra features. I know that it probably doesn't in most cases behoove Discotek to go to the expense, but I think that they could add a lot of value for the cost of buying Mike Toole a bottle of Jack Daniels.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2