• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Arrietty U.S Dub's "Summertime" Music Video Previewed

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
madlaxNoir2001

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 12:38 pm Reply with quote
OK ?
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 2:22 pm Reply with quote
This is what I was afraid of, a completely unfitting and wrong song for the tone and flow of the film. It's not a bad song on its own, it's just not really appropriate for Arrietty.
Romuska
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 2:26 pm Reply with quote
Okay, I'm not going to complain about the song because I only listened to it for a few seconds. But I hope they don't change the soundtrack. It was one of the best parts about the movie. Seriously, "The Neglected Garden" is one of my favorite songs now. I'd really hate to see it cut just because the singer doesn't have an American accent or because she sings the ending theme in Japanese.
koinosuke

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 2:45 pm Reply with quote
Like was said above, this isn't a bad song on it's own...but dear god, it's not appropriate for Arrietty. The soundtrack is already so damn good, and fits the tone of the movie so well. It's one of my personal favorites. If this song ends up being in the end credits or something, it wouldn't be as bad as that atrocious Disney-Bop autotune Ponyo song they made, but it would still be pretty unfortunate.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 3:31 pm Reply with quote
So they're basically trying to appeal to their Disney Channel market by using one of their teen pop starlets and forcing one of her songs into the film. I suppose that's why the names were Americanized as well, got to stamp out all that foreign culture.

Wasn't there some agreement Disney wouldn't mess around with Ghibli's stuff? Something involving a samurai sword being sent to threaten them?
FLCLGainax

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 3:47 pm Reply with quote
Romuska wrote:
Okay, I'm not going to complain about the song because I only listened to it for a few seconds. But I hope they don't change the soundtrack. It was one of the best parts about the movie. Seriously, "The Neglected Garden" is one of my favorite songs now. I'd really hate to see it cut just because the singer doesn't have an American accent or because she sings the ending theme in Japanese.
I too hope they don't change the music. The original singer has recorded an English version of "Arrietty's Song", so Disney can't use the excuse that the songs only exist in Japanese.

Quote:
Wasn't there some agreement Disney wouldn't mess around with Ghibli's stuff? Something involving a samurai sword being sent to threaten them?
That may only apply to actual footage being cut. Whenever they've made changes to the soundtrack in the past (Kiki), they had to get the OK from Ghibli.
Kyjin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 5:41 pm Reply with quote
Guys, remember the dub version of the song for Ponyo? Yeah, this isn't that bad. (Not an awful pop song, but again, not right tone for the movie.)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
GhostShell

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 7:00 pm Reply with quote
Okay, I'm usually one who will listen through a song at least a good part way through to give it a fair chance. With this song, I couldn't even do that. I didn't find very much appealing about it...neither the voice of the singer, nor the music itself. If this song is part of the soundtrack, I'll most likely be picking up the U.K. Blu-ray version of the movie.

Interestingly, I just checked the YouTube page for the the video and it had 57 likes, 47 dislikes.
machetecat

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 7:58 pm Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
So they're basically trying to appeal to their Disney Channel market by using one of their teen pop starlets and forcing one of her songs into the film. I suppose that's why the names were Americanized as well, got to stamp out all that foreign culture.

I think that rule only applies to Miyazaki's stuff.
Amethyst Alchemist
Former ANN Editor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 8:59 pm Reply with quote
machetecat wrote:
TitanXL wrote:

I think that rule only applies to Miyazaki's stuff.

I'm not sure of the rules about the Ghibli-Disney agreement, but don't forget that Hayao Miyazaki did write the screenplay for the film. In that sense, it's still "Miyazaki's."
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 9:05 pm Reply with quote
Romuska wrote:

Well said, mate.

Personally I like this song. As someone who's yet to see the original Japanese version, I can't give an opinion on its music, but I hope Disney makes the soundtrack available, given Ghibli's and The Borrowers' following. Perhaps an extra long CD which includes both the English songs and the original Japanese ones? Or maybe 2 separate CDs, whichever.
TurnerJ

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 9:24 pm Reply with quote
Guys please, let's calm down. I agree that this is a rather weird marketing ploy for Disney, but I don't think it means it'll be in the film. Besides, from the clips I've heard, Cecile Corbel's score is unaltered. I don't think it's time to hit the panic button yet.

For the record, I do attest that I enjoyed the "Laputa" rescore because it was still done by the original composer, used the same themes, and made the overall movie arguably stronger than its (still beautiful) but somewhat dated synth counterpart.

But I think that was just an exception to the rule; even Ponyo's dub, despite the pop song, still had Joe Hisaishi's score in the film.
grooven

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 10:21 pm Reply with quote
LOL the stupid mug on the bridge had me laughing Anime hyper
kakoishii

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 1:30 am Reply with quote
I suspect Bridgit Mendler is not a natural born singer (never understood why Disney tries to force all their teen stars into pretending to be popstars, talent be damned), that said I've heard worse, and though maybe not completely appropriate, it isn't completely inappropriate for the movie. Anyway people are overreacting as usual, and I will not feed the fires of fan rage Rolling Eyes
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 1:49 am Reply with quote
Bloody'ell. I can't believe Lassetter approved this. I hope it's just an extra that one can skip. Rolling Eyes
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2