• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Master Keaton Manga to Get Sequel After 18 Years

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pajmo9

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 11:16 am Reply with quote
This is cool news!
Dragynstorm

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 11:27 am Reply with quote
Goodness goodness, this is something I never thought would happen! I'm just… so happy!!! This is wonderful news!
vinamara

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 12:14 pm Reply with quote
Holy smokes! Is this real? The Master Keaton?

Damn, the anime was a masterpiece. One of the most realistic shows I've ever seen to date. A walking Swiss army knife.

But if its set after twenty years then he must be an old man. His daughter might've been married by now, which makes him a granddad.

Shinichiro is making a comeback with Apollon and even Avatar is getting a new series. Life is good.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 1:29 pm Reply with quote
Naoki Urasawa is my favorite manga-ka. I wish Viz or somebody would bring over Billy Bat.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
xScar

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 3:37 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Naoki Urasawa is my favorite manga-ka. I wish Viz or somebody would bring over Billy Bat.

I think the problem with Billy Bat is that it's Kodansha and not Shogakukan, so it's not a series that Viz would be handed, especially since Kodansha is sticking its hands into the American market with its own publishing company and then Vertical.

I keep poking Vertical about it, but I don't think they (Ed) is too into it because of its discombobulated plot.

I've never got around to reading Keaton yet, mainly because I was under the impression that someone else was the driving force behind it and Urasawa only did the art. Now, Urasawa's name is the biggest on the new reprints, though apparently not without controversy. Might give it another go now that it's continuing.
ShaolinWolf

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 3:47 pm Reply with quote
YES!! I never imagined this would happen. This is like waking up and reading Inoue is doing a sequel to Slam Dunk or Toriyama is continuing DragonBall. I always considered Monster a sort of spiritual successor to Master Keaton, but I'll happily take the real thing, too.

So obviously we're gonna be dealing with a much older Master Keaton now, but I wonder what other changes they'll be to the story. Urasawa has changed a lot as a writer since then: Master Keaton was written as an episodic series, like his first work, Pineapple Army, but all of his series since then have focused on major, epic, story arcs.

penguintruth wrote:

I'm sure Viz is going to bring it over, Urasawa is one of the few mangaka with name value and his last three series have been critically acclaimed. They're probably just waiting for a decent amount of Billy Bat to get released first so they don't rush themselves into doing those dreaded single annual releases.

Last edited by ShaolinWolf on Wed Feb 29, 2012 5:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
Tratious

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 3:56 pm Reply with quote
xScar wrote:
penguintruth wrote:

I think the problem with Billy Bat is that it's Kodansha and not Shogakukan, so it's not a series that Viz would be handed, especially since Kodansha is sticking its hands into the American market with its own publishing company and then Vertical.

I keep poking Vertical about it, but I don't think they (Ed) is too into it because of its discombobulated plot.

I've never got around to reading Keaton yet, mainly because I was under the impression that someone else was the driving force behind it and Urasawa only did the art. Now, Urasawa's name is the biggest on the new reprints, though apparently not without controversy. Might give it another go now that it's continuing.

While Viz is a majority owned company by Sho-Pro, Shuiesha, and Shogakukan they can license properties outside those companies they have licensed Moyacco Anno's Flower & Bees from Kodansha and Medabots so while it's rare it has happened
nicomorr

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 7:27 pm Reply with quote
The manga & anime have such good alignment of style, Keaton is unmistakeable, Yuriko beautifully represented, the locations, from the Taklamakan Desert to East Germany, faithful & researched, this is such a superior product, for adults.

Another anime that with similar international depth is "Gallery Fake", I prefer Keaton.

Look forward to this.

Nico M Very Happy
London
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 8:11 pm Reply with quote
xScar wrote:
I've never got around to reading Keaton yet, mainly because I was under the impression that someone else was the driving force behind it and Urasawa only did the art. Now, Urasawa's name is the biggest on the new reprints, though apparently not without controversy.

Apparently Urasawa claims that the original writer, Hokusei Katsushika (pseudonym of Golgo 13's Hajime Kimura) basically quit working on the project partway through and let him write the rest while keeping his name on it. Urasawa then demanded that in the re-release his name get preference. Unfortunately he only made this demand after Kimura died, and one of Kimura's friend vehemently protested, and there was a big legal dispute. Apparently Urasawa won, given that it's now being published again with his name front-and-center (seriously, every book shop I've been to here in Japan has Master Keaton on big display).

Regardless, it doesn't sound like he got along well with Kimura.

Quote:
But if its set after twenty years then he must be an old man. His daughter might've been married by now, which makes him a granddad.

Urasawa made pretty badass grandpa-aged guys in 20th Century Boys, so hopefully he can handle it.

I have some of Master Keaton in Japanese, and a lot of Yawara! as well. I don't know how well 20th Century Boys and Pluto have been selling (I bought them), but I do hope companies look back at his older stuff for licenses and not just his more recent projects (i.e. Billy Bat). I know they're both dated in setting, but the stories are still really good. I mean, Yawara! is rife with fan service and I don't care, that's how much I like the story and characters.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 5:27 am Reply with quote
Return of a middle-aged protagonist!

Wonder if it'll be moe this time. Laughing
Crisha

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 9:19 am Reply with quote
This is awesome. I love Urasawa. I own all of Viz's release of Monster, and I'm currently collecting 20th Century Boys. I'll probably start Pluto once I'm done with CB (as long as it's still in print). I'd love for them to pick up Happy!, Yawara!, and Master Keaton, especially now since MK is going to continue. I like the idea of an older MK - it has the potential to be really interesting.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Darnell11

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 11:15 am Reply with quote
This is wonderful news!I've never got around to reading Keaton yet, mainly because I was under the impression that someone else was the driving force behind it and Urasawa only did the art.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1