Columns - May 2017
- Answerman - How Are Anime Opening And Ending Themes Chosen? ()
- Vice & Luna - 05/30/2017 ()
- This Week in Anime - Silent But Deadly ()
- Shelf Life - Crusher Joe: The Movie ()
- Answerman - How Is Coffee Brewed In Japan? ()
- The Mike Toole Show - Hollywood Blues ()
- The List - 7 Harem Anime Where All the Choices Are Insane ()
- ANNCast (Video) - Psycho-Pass ()
- Answerman - Is The "Netflix" Way Of Making Shows A Savior For The Anime Business? ()
- This Week In Games - Fire Emblem Echoes ()
- Answerman - Why Do Colors In Blu-ray Re-Releases Of Classic Anime Look Different? ()
- Vice & Luna - 05/23/2017 ()
- This Week in Anime - The Mouth of Madness ()
- Answerman - What Are Those Radio Exercises Kids Do In Japan? ()
- Shelf Life - Ajin: Demi-Human ()
- The List - 6 Villains That Saved the Day ()
- ANNCast - Supernerds United ()
- Answerman - Why Is Random English Used So Much In Japan? ()
- This Week in Games - Utawarerumono: Mask of Deception ()
- Answerman - Why Aren't New Dubs Made For Old-School Shows? ()
- Vice & Luna - 05/16/2017 ()
- This Week in Anime - Worst Pun Contest ()
- Answerman - Is My Sushi Authentic? ()
- Shelf Life - Girls Beyond the Wasteland ()
- The Mike Toole Show - The Soundtrack and the Fury ()
- The List - 7 Superb Anime Moms ()
- Answerman - Who Are Subtitles Written For? ()
- This Week in Games - Birthdays the Beginning ()
- Answerman - Why Do All The Kids Want To Move To Tokyo? ()
- Vice & Luna - 05/09/2017 ()
- This Week in Anime - Hot Dads ()
- Shelf Life - Actually, I Am... ()
- Answerman - How Do I Introduce Anime To My Kids? ()
- The List - 6 "Bad" Endings that Were Actually Fitting ()
- ANNCast - The Sacred Scrolls of Wall ()
- Answerman - Why Doesn't Yaoi Anime Get Dubbed? ()
- This Week in Games - Mario Kart 8 Deluxe ()
- Answerman - Why Are Anime Torrent Sites Disappearing? ()
- Vice & Luna - 05/02/2017 ()
- This Week in Anime - How to Cook (for Forty) Humans ()
- Answerman - What Are Those Flavored Breads In Japanese School Lunches? ()
- Shelf Life - Is the Order a Rabbit? season 2 ()
Loading next article...
just for fun
Time's running out to find the perfect gift for the otaku in your life - our massive holiday gift guide is here for you, with six pages of the year's best figures, games, tech, blurays and more! ―
This collection of retold stories from the Brothers Grimm delivers some unusual choices and creative twists. Rebecca Silverman sorts through the best and worst of this anthology. ― Fairy tale retellings have been in vogue for quite some time now, and that's actually very much in keeping with the nature of the beast – by definition, fairy tales are stories that exist in multiple cultures and are passe...
You've heard of ship girls (KanColle) and sword boys (Touken Ranbu), but these anthropomorphized anime characters are on another level of weirdness. ― When I first wrote about wacky dating sims, it seemed like the anthro-craze was just starting to get off the ground. Ship girls and sword boys weren't quite mainstream and the weirdest examples to come stateside involved pigeons and llamas. At the tim...
While the Madarame harem arc has gone on far too long, this volume manages to find some of this series' strongest nuggets of drama in its twists and turns. Nick Creamer digs in. ― Genshiken's Madarame harem arc has gone on for a long, long time. It felt like an unrealistic nod to the original Genshiken's breakout character from the start, and since then, it's wound through so many repetitive turns th...
2017 was a HUGE year for video games, so we've got a HUGE podcast counting down our Top 5 Games of 2017, with an all-star panel! ― ANNCast Episode 314 - Games of the Year 2017 2017 was a HUGE year for video games, so we've got a HUGE podcast counting down our Top 5 Games of 2017, featuring Dave and Graziella from Friends from the Internet, Dustin Bailey, formerly of This Week in Games, and Heidi Kem...
Fox has the merchandise rights for Alita: Battle Angel, but James Cameron's company has the film rights. How does all of this work, anyway? Justin gets into it. ― Jason asked: Fox had Alita: Battle Angel available at Licensing Expo in Vegas. Which parts of James Cameron's agreement with manga artist Yukito Kishiro is between him & Kishiro, compared to james cameron's a:ba merch agreement with fox? D...
From the East Blue to Whole Cake Island, Sam Leach breaks down the top ten adventures of the Straw Hat crew and invites you to share your own favorite episodes of this legendary series. ― If there's a series that seeks to challenge the theory of diminishing returns, it's One Piece. Eiichiro Oda's monstrous epic is the highest selling manga of all time, but its absurd length still keeps plenty of peop...
The series stumbles a bit with this poorly paced volume, but Naofumi's rise nonetheless continues. Rebecca Silverman has the details. ― It's a good thing that this is the final book in the “other other world” arc, because while there is technically enough plot to round the volume out, it is feeling a little thin. The book is focused on Naofumi and his party finally taking out Kyo, the maniac with the...
Blood Blockade Battlefront & Beyond reaches for the top of the charts with a standout episode, while Dragon Ball Super comes down from its recent high. Find out where all your favorite series ranked this week! ― Our team of reviewers are following 31 anime series of the Fall 2017 season and readers are rating each episode as the reviews go up. So let's have a look at what ANN readers consider the be...
Welcome to the Ballroom began as one of the most anticipated shows of the summer, but enthusiasm has dropped off sharply since then. We look back on what went wrong as the series waltzes toward its conclusion. ― Welcome to the Ballroom began as one of the most anticipated shows of last summer season, but enthusiasm has dropped off sharply since then. This week in anime, Nick and Jake track the series...
The director of this summer's steampunk spy smash success Princess Principal goes in-depth on the show - and even discusses sequel potential! ― Princess Principal is an anime set in an alternate-history steampunk version of Victorian London, following a group of five ladies, professional spies who find themselves embroiled in a game of mistaken identities and political intrigue. The show's incredible...
Heidi breaks down this week's explosion of news following The Game Awards: Street Fighter EX, new Soul Calibur, and Norman Reedus's fantastic fetus! ― THIS WEEK IN GAMES: IT'S A NEWZAPALOOZA Jeez, I expected to have a whole ton of news to write about this week, but somehow news kept on flooding in even after the Game Awards and the PSX keynote! (Which, by the way, I was totally wrong about – the Game...
This isekai story starts a cut above the rest with a focus on multiple protagonists and one very unfortunate eight-legged reincarnation. Theron Martin explains what makes this series an engrossing read. ― Isekai (“transported to another world”) stories have dominated the Japanese light novel market over the past few years. This take on the concept is the second to be released recently in English in r...