Columns - November 2011
- The X Button - Interstellar Assault ()
- The Stream - Card Captor Chihaya ()
- Shelf Life - The Fifth Element ()
- UK Premiere: Maken-ki! 7-8 ()
- UK Premiere: Mirai Nikki 6-7 ()
- UK Premiere: Persona 4 The Animation 7 - Subconscious Tropical Paradise ()
- UK Premiere: Un-Go 7 - Daydream ()
- Australian Premiere: Un-Go 7 - Daydream ()
- Astro Toy - Figutto Marisa Kirisame ()
- Hey, Answerman! - Simply Cel-ular ()
- Jason Thompson's House of 1000 Manga - Midori Days ()
- The X Button - Excellent Saga ()
- Anime News Nina! - 2011-11-23 ()
- ANNCast - Game Show II: Sons of Liberty ()
- RIGHT TURN ONLY!! - The Princess Diaries ()
- Shelf Life - NY Noir ()
- The Mike Toole Show - The Melancholy of Yoshinobu Nishizaki ()
- UK Premiere: Persona 4 The Animation 6 - I'll beat you, and beat you good ()
- Gia's List: Anime's 7 Most Awkward Proposals ()
- UK Premiere: Maken-ki! 6 - Like Rain on a Sunny Day ()
- ANNCast - Gym, TAN, Laundry ()
- Hey, Answerman! - In the Name of the Moon ()
- UK Premiere: Un-Go 6 - The Code Too Simple ()
- Australian Premiere: Un-Go 6 - The Code Too Simple ()
- Jason Thompson's House of 1000 Manga - Special Guest Edition: Chobits ()
- UK Premiere: Mirai Nikki 5 - Voice Memo ()
- The X Button - 3-D Test ()
- The Stream - Back to the Future ()
- Shelf Life - Digital Love ()
- Astro Toy - Super Robot Chogokin Gaogaigar and Key Of Victory Set 1 ()
- UK Premiere: Persona 4 The Animation 5 - Would You Love Me? ()
- ANNCast - Viewers Like You: The Brave and the Old ()
- Hey, Answerman! - Double Dip ()
- Australian Premiere: Un-Go 5 - The Statue of Illusion ()
- UK Premiere: Un-Go 5 - The Statue of Illusion ()
- UK Premiere: Persona 4 The Animation 4 - Somewhere not here ()
- UK Premiere: Makken-ki! 3-5 ()
- Jason Thompson's House of 1000 Manga - Dodekain ()
- The X Button - Guardian Force ()
- Anime News Nina! - 2011-11-09 ()
- UK Premiere: Mirai Nikki 3-4 ()
- RIGHT TURN ONLY!! - Scrambled X ()
- Shelf Life - Ninja Nonsense ()
- The Mike Toole Show - War Stories ()
- Gia's List: The 6 Most-Abused Anime Protagonists ()
- UK Premiere: Mystic Archives of Dantalian 10-12 (finale) ()
- Hey, Answerman! - Tooting One's Horn ()
- Jason Thompson's House of 1000 Manga - Gojin ()
- ANNCast - Guy Kiley ()
- UK premiere: Un-Go 4 - House, Unmasked ()
- Australian premiere: Un-Go 4 - House, Unmasked ()
- The X Button - Stratus Symbol ()
- The Stream - Genesis Project ()
Loading next article...
Wow! Hundreds of millions of dollars are flowing into the anime industry thanks to streaming! Is any of that money going to the people who actually make anime? Justin gets into it. ― Custom Gundam asked: With ANN recently reporting that Crunchyroll royalties to the Japanese industry exceed US $100 million and also the huge amount recieved from global companies like Netflix and Amazon and also the va...
Take a journey back in time with Daryl Surat, when many people were introduced to anime through heartwarming films like My Neighbor Totoro and Grave of the Fireflies. But what forgotten gems lie sleeping in this long-ago year? ― Every so often, I get questions regarding what the value is in observing what works of popular culture remain worth watching, decades after their creation. But nearly three m...
This beloved 2000s megahit is the newest to get a live-action update to the big screen, now available on Netflix after its theatrical run in Japan. Theron Martin finds out if this movie can live up to fans' expectations. ― Fullmetal Alchemist was one of the most popular and successful anime/manga franchises of the 2000s, so the only surprise surrounding this live-action adaptation might be that it di...
Citrus has turned a few heads with its incestuous twist on lesbian romance. We suss out whether this makes for a juicy love story or just sour pulp. ― Citrus has turned a few heads with its incestuous twist on lesbian romance. This week in anime, Michelle and Steve suss out whether this makes for a juicy love story or just sour pulp. Disclaimer: The views and opinions expressed by the participants in...
Hiromu Arakawa's pastoral drama about the highs and lows of farm living at an agricultural college is a far cry from Fullmetal Alchemist, but just as rewarding. Rebecca Silverman has the details. ― Hiromu Arakawa's agricultural coming of age tale's anime adaptation reached English-speakers long before now, which makes it feel like a real treat to finally get the chance to read the manga. Based roughl...
just for fun
Vice wants his next costume to reel in the ladies, but he's fresh out of sexy ideas. Thankfully, Perry has some great advice! ―
Paul discovers a hidden gem in a surprisingly lazy package with this lovely slice-of-life comedy. Plus, all this week's new anime releases and a brand-new Shelf Obsessed! ― I've been working on putting together a Star Wars model kit recently, and holy heck that process is easier if you have a decent set of the appropriate tools. It's almost a relaxing experience when you don't have to threaten each ...
This attempt at a gritty action spectacle falls prey to confusing storytelling and baffling editing. Theron Martin examines what went wrong. ― In the Summer 2016 Preview Guide, I gave the first episode of this manga adaptation a middling score, saying that it isn't without potential. Rarely have I looked back at a review and been more perplexed at what I wrote, as on a second view that first episode ...
There sure are a lot of gambling anime, but what's it actually like to gamble in Japan? Does anime paint an accurate picture? Justin gets into it. ― Jake asked: I have recently been watching Kakegurui Compulsive Gambler on Netflix and it has me curious about gambling in Japan. Gambling is in a ton of anime from Samurai Champloo to Kaiji. Mostly I am familiar with the basic odd even dice game as well...
Mike digs into the legendary and idiosyncratic career of Ryousuke Takahashi, from Cyborg 009 to Armored Trooper Votoms to Phoenix. ― A few weeks back, the Right Stuf folks were running some sort of cheap-o blowout sale, and one of the items for sale, along with a still-absurdly-large quantity of Geneon and ADV Films DVD backstock, was this hat. Yep, for just one dollar, you could be the proud owner o...
This adaptation makes great use of its difficult source material to tell a trapped-in-a-game/escape room story worth digging into. Rebecca Silverman explains why. ― If you've played the original game of Ao Oni (“blue demon”) or watched the series of anime shorts, Kenji Kuroda's novelization may come as a surprise. That's not a bad thing, though – Kuroda's reimagining of the source material not only c...