Columns - October 2017
- Vice & Luna - The Top 5 Most Kissable Anime Skeletons ()
- This Week in Anime - What the Heck was ID-0 About? ()
- Shelf Life - Love, Chunibyo & Other Delusions! Rikka Version ()
- Answerman - Quick Answers Part 5 ()
- The Mike Toole Show - The Anime-Ville Horror ()
- The List - 13 Terrifying Anime You Can Stream for Halloween This Year ()
- Answerman - How Tough Is It To Get Into College In Japan? ()
- This Week in Anime - What Does Vanishing Line Have to Offer GARO Fans and Newbies? ()
- This Week in Games - Nights of Azure 2: Bride of the New Moon ()
- Answerman - Where Do "Seasons" On Long-Running Anime Begin And End? ()
- Vice & Luna - A-Rank Cosplay ()
- This Week in Anime - Why is Recovery of an MMO Junkie So Relatable? ()
- Shelf Life - Ushio & Tora ()
- Answerman - Why Do Japanese-Owned Publishers Still Have To Pay For Licenses? ()
- The List - 7 Anime Genre Trends of 2017 ()
- ANNCast - Danganronpa Deep Dive ()
- Answerman - Are There Really Gangs In Japanese Schools? ()
- This Week in Anime - Why You Should Watch Blood Blockade Battlefront ()
- This Week in Games - Bad Apple Wars ()
- Answerman - Why Do Westerners Make Assumptions About Japan Because of Anime? ()
- This Week in Anime - How Does the Kino's Journey Remake Compare to the Original Series? ()
- Vice & Luna - "I'm Watching It Ironically" ()
- Answerman - Why Does Anime Occasionally Use English Songs? ()
- Shelf Life - Occultic;Nine Part 1 ()
- The List - 7 Anime That Almost Were ()
- ANNCast - Fall 2017 Anime Roundup ()
- Answerman - Is Anime Streaming Consumer-Friendly Right Now? ()
- This Week in Anime - Why You Should Watch Mr. Osomatsu ()
- This Week in Games - Seven Months With Nintendo Switch ()
- Answerman: Why Don't Streaming Sites Work Together? ()
- Vice & Luna - All In The Family ()
- This Week in Anime - Why You Should Watch Food Wars! ()
- Answerman - What Is "Digipaint"? ()
- Shelf Life - Shin Godzilla ()
- The List - 6 Unique Takes on Edogawa Ranpo ()
- Answerman - Where Did The Idea Of 100 Ghost Stories Come From? ()
- This Week in Anime - Will Bakugo Become a Hero or a Villain? ()
- This Week in Games - Gundam Versus ()
- Answerman - Why Are Sentai Titles Showing Up On Anime Strike? ()
- Vice & Luna - "Vice Writes an Isekai Novel" ()
- This Week in Anime - Made in Abyss Made Us Cry Like Little Babies ()
- Answerman - Why Do Dub Voice Actors Stick To The Same Studios? ()
- Shelf Life - The Boy and the Beast ()
- The Mike Toole Show - Cool Runnings 2049 ()
Loading next article...
How come other cable networks never bet on anime programming the way Cartoon Network did? Justin digs in. ― Jake asked: One thing I always found strange looking back at the anime boom was the lack of anime on Nickelodeon. At the time Nickelodeon was the second largest children to young adult network after Cartoon Network, which was in full swing with Toonami and later Adult Swim programming block. A...
James shotguns all 49 episodes of Kyoto Animation's beloved visual novel adaptation, while Paul breaks down all this week's new anime releases! ― My daily streaming review shows this season are A Place Further Than the Universe and Laid-Back Camp, which would normally give me a monopoly on all the comfy slice of life stuff. This ain't no ordinary season, though, and there are more shows in that genr...
Sailor Moon Crystal Part III is an improvement over the previous seasons with the addition of Sailors Uranus and Neptune. Rebecca Silverman has the details. ― The third season of Sailor Moon Crystal brings a few changes to the table even as it embarks on the difficult task of retelling a fan-favorite storyline from the classic series. Among the most noticeable shifts is the art – falling somewhere be...
Mike goes on a treasure hunt for short-form anime and uncovers a show about a sentient fart, which means the hunt was an enormous success. ― It's January, which means that I just killed the mid-month holiday weekend off at Arisia, Boston's largest science fiction and fantasy convention. This year, not only did I sit on panels on the furious Evangelion debate, fanservice, and other anime-related topic...
Whether you're already a fan of the anime version or not, Made in Abyss' manga is a journey worth undertaking. Rebecca Silverman dives into this fantasy manga's dark and fascinating world. ― At this point, the anime adaptation of Akihito Tsukushi's fantasy manga is better known to English-speakers, since its release predates that of the source manga. For the curious, this first volume covers the anim...
Watching anime doesn't have to be purely a shut-in pursuit! Here are six titles that encourage you to explore the wonders of the natural world. ― One of my favorite anime airing this season is Laid-Back Camp, a story that looks like another "cute girls doing cute things" anime on the surface but ended up delivering more for me. That's not to say that it doesn't star cute girls who mostly hang out do...
This manga spinoff of the surprise hit franchise brings some great art to the table but falls short on story. Rebecca Silverman has the details. ― The surprise hit anime of last year, Kemono Friends, is only one portion of a multimedia franchise – there are games, apps, and a variety of other bits and bobs to accompany the anime. Fly's two-volume manga Welcome to Japari Park, collected into a single ...
The Eureka Seven art contest has been extended, and we're adding new prizes! ― The Eureka Seven Hi-Evolution film series lands in theaters later this year. The original staff, chief director Tomoki Kyoda, screenplay writer Dai Sato, and character designer Kenichi Yoshida, have all returned. Other staff members from the past series, including character animation director Ayumi Kurashima, Shigeru Fujit...
Zac, Jacob and special guest Gabriella Ekens fiendishly devour as many of the 2018 winter premieres as they can, plus Godzilla: Planet of the Monsters! ― ANNCast Episode 317 - Winter 2018 Anime Roundup Zac, Jacob and special guest Gabriella Ekens fiendishly devour as many of the 2018 winter premieres as they can, plus Godzilla: Planet of the Monsters! You can listen to the show on our player here, d...
Older anime like Evangelion frequently have strange "jumps" in between edits - why is that, and what can be done about it? Justin goes in deep! ― K.o.R asked: Why, on a lot of older anime series, does the picture appear to jerk sideways whenever there is a cut? It's noticeable on things like the original release of Evangelion, for example. In the years before anime went all-digital, TV shows were ed...
One of the only American artists to ever serialize a manga in Japan, Part I of our interview with Peepo Choo mangaka Felipe Smith goes in-depth on the manga industry and his incredible career. ― “Unlike most manga-inspired artists I know, I wasn't so much wowed by the [style of] manga as I was by its incredible abundance of ordinary, lifelike, slice-of-life scenarios and characters.” Inspired by that...
The most popular Gundam series in the Western hemisphere finally comes to Blu-ray in this extravagant set filled with bonus goodies. But does the show still hold up 20 years later? Lauren Orsini finds out. ― Gundam Wing was one of the first anime I ever saw, and I'm not alone. When the show first aired on Cartoon Network's Toonami in 2000, it created a wave of brand new-anime fans who are now in thei...
To celebrate the release of the live action GINTAMA film, we are giving away awesome prize packs including exclusive merchandise only available in Japan! ― To celebrate the release of this laugh-out-loud Sci-Fi Samurai Comedy, we are giving away two awesome GINTAMA prize packs including exclusive merchandise only available in Japan! Get ready to laugh your brains out with the Yorozuya Crew! The inter...