Columns - November 2010
- Brain Diving: Fujoshi and the Pussycats ()
- Shelf Life - Magica the Gathering ()
- Astro Toy - Super Robot Chogokin Alt Eisen ()
- US Premiere: Oreimo Ep. 8 ()
- Video: New Funimation Dubs posted ()
- Jason Thompson's House of 1000 Manga - From Eroica With Love ()
- The X Button - Historia Lessons ()
- ANNCast - NERVous Breakdown ()
- US Premiere: togainu no chi ~Bloody Curs~ 7 (s) ()
- Brain Diving: Legacies of Hiroshima ()
- Shelf Life - Metal Mania ()
- RIGHT TURN ONLY!! - Exactly According to Genkaku ()
- Now Streaming: Persona -trinity soul- 1-4 (free), 5-25 (premium) ()
- Now Streaming: Toradora! 1-4 (free), 5-25 (premium) ()
- The Mike Toole Show - Join The Club ()
- US Premiere: Oreimo 7 (sub) ()
- Now Streaming: Mobile Suit Gundam Z (subtitled) ()
- ANNCast - Viewers Like You VII: Adviewnt Children ()
- Hey, Answerman! - Predatory Lending ()
- Jason Thompson's House of 1000 Manga - Saint Seiya: Knights of the Zodiac ()
- US Premiere: togainu no chi ~Bloody Curs~ 5-6 (s) ()
- The X Button - Yet More Heroes ()
- Anime News Nina! - 2010-11-17 ()
- Brain Diving: Can't Kamishibai Me Love ()
- Now Streaming: Mobile Suit Gundam (dubbed, TV ver.) ()
- Shelf Life - Dirty Dancing ()
- Astro Toy - Black Rock Shooter Figma ()
- Now Streaming: Shigurui - Death Frenzy (1-12 s/1-2 d) ()
- Now Streaming: Oreimo 5-6 (s) ()
- Hey, Answerman! - Hentai Schmentai ()
- ANNCast - Staff Infection II: Outbreak! ()
- Jason Thompson's House of 1000 Manga - Cobra ()
- US PREMIERE: togainu no chi ~Bloody Curs~ 1-4 (s) ()
- Anime News Nina! - 2010-11-10 ()
- The X Button - Fist Bumps ()
- Brain Diving: The Youkai Show ()
- RIGHT TURN ONLY!! - Cross Your Heart ()
- Shelf Life - Golgo Apparatus ()
- GLORIOUS RETURN: Oreimo #1-4 ()
- The Mike Toole Show - Gundam Infinity ()
- ANNtv - Inside Satelight ()
- Hey, Answerman! - Back From Another Dimension ()
- Jason Thompson's House of 1000 Manga - Immortal Rain ()
- The X Button - Sola Survivor ()
- Anime News Nina! - 2010-11-03 ()
- Brain Diving: A Lovely Angel ()
- Shelf Life - Princess Bride ()
Mike picks over the bones of the Hollywood Ghost in the Shell, catalogs the best adaptations so far, and wonders where live-action anime might go after this. ― This year's convention season is rockin' and rollin'. This week, I'm on show number three of 2017, enjoying the sights and sounds of Anime North up in Toronto. I come up to Canada for this show, and it's always an interesting time. I admire Ca...
Food Wars is still going strong as the Polaris Dorm gets ready to take on Azami Nakiri's corrupt new administration. Rebecca Silverman has the details. ― There is rarely a dull moment in Yuto Tsukuda and Shun Saeki's Food Wars! Shokugeki no Soma manga, and while there's a small breather between storylines of this volume, the action is as intense as ever despite the climbing volume numbers. This eight...
Being surrounded by sexy love interests might seem like paradise to some, but one fan's heaven is another fan's hell. Here are seven harems with no good apples to choose from! ― Harem anime is a well-established romance sub-genre, and while most incarnations these days put our hero into a magical world outside of his own, romance options have spanned trains, transforming soda cans, and potential lit...
UQ Holder’s ninth volume makes the most of its prolonged training arc material. Nick Creamer weighs the pros and cons of Ken Akamatsu's latest series. ― UQ Holder has always been an inherently strange shounen property. With its focus on a team of heroes who are all gifted with some form of immortality, the manga has at time had trouble offering compelling opponents for its protagonists. And main char...
Could Netflix's influence solve the many production and salary woes plaguing the anime industry? Justin considers the angles. ― Earl asks: The trailer for the new Castlevania anime came out today and my coworkers and I were remarking on the animation quality. It's an American production (despite what I thought initially), but it got me thinking... Would Netflix-style contracts/production be a way ou...
From fearsome warriors to gluttonous goofballs, Attack on Titan's cast is filled with a variety of colorful female characters. Rose Bridges explains what makes its cast of ladies so unique. ― Spoiler Warning: This article contains spoilers for the Attack on Titan anime up through episode 31, and also vaguely alludes to events from the Attack on Titan light novel "Lost Girls." Since the first season's...
Zac, Jacob and special guest Gabriella Ekens stitch their brains together for a deep dive on the entirety of PSYCHO-PASS - both seasons (yes, both seasons) and the film. ― ANNCast Episode 297 - Psycho-Pass Zac, Jacob and special guest Gabriella Ekens stitch their brains together for a deep dive on the entirety of PSYCHO-PASS - both seasons (yes, both seasons) and the film! You can listen to the show...
Miss Hokusai demonstrates the power of articulating life as it is lived, presenting a rich portrait of both its historical moment and its charming heroine. ― The great painter Hokusai is one of the most famous and internationally renowned artists in Japanese history. Responsible for works as recognized as The Great Wave off Kanigawa (itself an element of the vastly influential 36 Views of Mount Fuji)...
The world-famous composer behind the music of Silent Hill discusses his long career making scary games scarier, along with his latest, the score for Let It Die. ― Japanese composer Akira Yamaoka, renowned for his work on Silent Hill's soundtrack, attended this year's Granada FicZone. He's also credited for many other video game scores such as Shadows of the Damned, Lollipop Chainsaw, and Killer Is De...
An ancient Fire Emblem game from the depths of the Famicom library gets resurrected on the 3DS - but is it worth your time? PLUS: Mario's got a gun, Netflix for games and much more! ― If you've followed this column for a while, you've probably noticed that I've got a taste for a lot of the games Nintendo puts out. Yet I've never delved deep into Fire Emblem. I played the first Western release when it...
This princess is more interested in actually ruling and political intrigue than finding a prince in this first volume of Aya Shirosaki's shoujo manga. Rebecca Silverman has the details. ― Gleam is the second manga release from e-publisher Cross Infinite World (the first being Little Hero), and a totally different bird from their usual fare. Where before all of their series featured ordinary girls bei...
just for fun
Nobody expected the titans to be felled by tanuki - The Eccentric Family slides into #1! See how your favorite shows fared in our weekly user rankings! ― Our team of reviewers are following 27 anime series of the Spring 2017 season and readers are rating each episode as the reviews go up. So let's have a look at what ANN readers consider the best (and worst) of the season. Keep in mind that these ra...
Anime on bluray sometimes looks very different from the way we might remember it - Justin explains how it's a little less scientific than we might think. ― Stanley asks: I have a technical question about Blu-ray transfers, particularly the film to Blu-Ray ones. I've been starting up a Blu-Ray collection recently and was looking at some comparison screenshots from a lot of classic anime titles and fi...
After 25 years of OVAs and spinoffs, is there "no need for Tenchi" after all? Theron Martin runs down the franchise history and what still stands out after so many other harem series have come and gone. ― When it comes to convoluted anime franchises, few short of Gundam can rival the endurance of the Tenchi Muyo! franchise. Over the course of 25 years, it has spawned two main 26-episode TV series, th...