Columns - December 2013
- RIGHT TURN ONLY!! - Death and Rebirth ()
- The Mike Toole Show - Anime Sunday School ()
- The List - 7 Expert Anime Hackers ()
- Answerman - Hung Over ()
- Pile of Shame - Handsome Girl ()
- ANNCast Holiday Special 2013: Yankee Swap ()
- Shelf Life - Last Second Gift Guide ()
- Astro Toy - Cu-Poche Mami Tomoe ()
- The List - 7 Restaurant Spots Worth The Visit ()
- Answerman - Holiday Madness Edition ()
- ANNCast - Dork the Halls ()
- House of 1000 Manga - Chihayafuru ()
- The X Button - Littered Picks ()
- RIGHT TURN ONLY!! - Rhapsody in Pink ()
- Shelf Life - La Vie en Rogue ()
- The Mike Toole Show - The Thing About My Dokes ()
- The List - 7 Anime Set in America ()
- Answerman - The Hard Life of an Anime Director ()
- ANNCast - Funi Like How? ()
- House of 1000 Manga - Manga 2.5 ()
- The X Button - God Bothering ()
- Pile of Shame - The Sensualist ()
- Shelf Life - You Da Bomb ()
- Astro Toy - Figma Hatsune Miku 2.0 ()
- The List - 7 Christmas Anime To Ring In The Season ()
- ANNCast - The Legend of Game Show: A Link to the Podcast ()
- Answerman - Mmm, Crunchy! ()
- House of 1000 Manga - Mr. Arashi's Amazing Freak Show and The Strange Tale of Panorama Island ()
- The X Button - Neverland Knows Best ()
- RIGHT TURN ONLY!! - Tick Tick BTOOOM! ()
- The Mike Toole Show - The Box of Crap ()
After The Pillows' comeback tour across the U.S., Mike Toole is inspired to revisit the history of Japanese artists' attempts to make it big in the west, and how American music has affected anime in kind. ― Last week, I did something I'd been meaning to do for about sixteen years – I saw the Pillows perform live. The concert, at Boston's Royale nightclub, was part of a tour the storied alt-rock band ...
Magical Girls aren't just sugar, spice, and everything nice anymore! Here are just a few dark magical girl series to watch between your fingers with the lights off. ― One of the first Lists I ever wrote was titled "6 Trailblazing Shojo 'Deconstructions' You Should Be Watching." At the time, I wanted to write about other magical series that approached their formula the same way Madoka Magica was at t...
This quirky puzzle game for the Nintendo Switch and 3DS is sure to win over fans of absurd humor and fast-paced strategy. Branden Johnson elaborates. ― Nailing absurdist humor is tricky. If you wink too much at the audience, it can be eye roll-inducing, and if you aren't polished enough in your presentation, you run the risk of your audience laughing at you, not with you. But Nintendo has pulled it o...
If you ask an American manga publisher about whether or not they're going to license a title you love, they'll be super coy and weird about it even if they have every intention of releasing it. Why is that? Deb digs in. ― Just got back from Anime Expo, and I'm at San Diego Comic-Con as you read this, where I'll be doing more of the same: going to the manga publishers' panels and reporting on what I ...
Once you get past its oddball premise, Hinamatsuri offers plenty of laughs and charm throughout its unusual run. Nick Creamer has the details. ― You wouldn't think a show about a family composed of a yakuza mobster and a psychic alien girl could be described as “warm and relatable,” but Hinamatsuri is weird in more ways than that. Idly combining trenchant commentary on homelessness, running child lab...
F/E LE premiered on Netflix last month to plenty of head-scratching from even experienced Fate fanatics. We run down this show's often baffling plot and what went wrong in adaptation. ― Fate/Extra Last Encore premiered on Netflix last month to plenty of head-scratching from even experienced Fate fanatics. This week, Nick and Jacob run down this show's often baffling plot and what went wrong in adapta...
Heidi memorializes the distinct and uniquely evocative designs of Hiroshi Kajiyama, illustrator for Shining Force, Dragon Quest and more. PLUS: Dragon Ball FighterZ, Sonic Mania Plus, Granblue Fantasy and much more! ― I hate to start this week's column out on a downer note, but I feel like I need to make the most of an opportunity to eulogize a creator I really admired who suddenly passed on this wee...