News 1st Godzilla Anime Film Debuts on Netflix in 190 Countries on January 17
posted on 2018-01-07 04:00 EST by Crystalyn Hodgkins
Netflix announced on Sunday that it will stream the first film in the Godzilla anime trilogy, Godzilla: Kaijū Wakusei, in 190 countries starting on January 17. The film will be available in Japanese and seven other dubbed languages, and in 23 subtitled languages.
The official website describes the first film's story:
The planet is beset by the emergence of colossal creatures that roam the earth, and king among them is “Godzilla”. For a half a century, these beasts engage in ferocious battle with each other and mankind. But humans, unable to compete, prepare for exile from their home planet. In the year 2048, a select few humans are chosen by the central government's artificial intelligence infrastructure to set out on an interstellar emigration vessel, the Aratrum, on an 11.9-lightyear journey for the planet Tau-e in the Cetus constellation. But when they arrive after 20 years of space travel, the remnants of mankind find the environmental conditions on Tau-e to be much different than expected, and basically uninhabitable by humans.
One youth on board the emigration vessel, Haruo, had seen his parents killed by Godzilla before his eyes when he was only 4 years old. Ever since, he has thought of nothing but returning to Earth to defeat Godzilla. With the doors to emigration now closed, Haruo and other crew spearhead a “return to Earth” decision despite severely attenuated and hazardous conditions on board for such a long trip back.
Somehow, the Aratrum makes the return journey in one piece, but the home they return to has become an alien planet. 20,000 years have elapsed, and a new ecosystem has emerged with Godzilla atop the food chain. Can mankind take back its native planet? Will Haruo get his revenge?
The films star:
- Mamoru Miyano as Haruo Sakaki, the protagonist
- Takahiro Sakurai as Metphies, the Exif alien who understands Haruo well
- Kana Hanazawa as the heroine Yuko Tani, who grew up with Haruo after he was orphaned
- Tomokazu Sugita as Martin Lazzari, an optimistic environmental biologist working with the military
- Yuuki Kaji as Adam Bindewald, a young landing ship pilot who respects Haruo
- Junichi Suwabe as Mulu-Elu Galu-gu, a Bilsard alien
- Daisuke Ono as Eliott Leland, Haruo's superior officer and military commander
- Kenta Miyake as Rilu-Elu Belu-be, a Bilsard alien veteran soldier and Haruo's instructor
- Kenyuu Horiuchi as Unberto Mori, emigrant spaceship Aratrum captain
- Kazuya Nakai as Halu-Elu Dolu-do, a Bilsard alien patriarch riding Aratrum
- Kazuhiro Yamaji as Endurph, an Exif alien riding Aratrum
Kobun Shizuno (Detective Conan: The Darkest Nightmare and other Detective Conan movies, Fist of the North Star: The Legend of Kenshirô, Fist of the North Star: The Legend of Toki) and Hiroyuki Seshita (Ajin, Knights of Sidonia) are directing the films at Polygon Pictures. Gen Urobuchi (Puella Magi Madoka Magica, Fate/Zero, Psycho-Pass) of Nitroplus is credited with the story concept and screenplay. Urobuchi is also responsible for series composition with Yūsuke Kozaki.
Hiroyuki Morita is serving as assistant director, and Naohiro Yoshihira ("Tady") is the technical director. Naoya Tanaka and Ferdinando Patulli are production designers, and Yuki Moriyama is designing the characters in CG. Mitsunori Kataama is the model director. Yukihiro Shibutani is the art director, and Hironori Nochi is the color key artist. Satoshi Motoyama is the sound director. XAI performed the first film's theme song "White Out."
Source: MoCa News