• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Forum Suggestion: AMV/Original Animation Thread?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bento-Box

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 11:05 am Reply with quote
While there are many people who dislike AMVs (Anime Music Videos), they have become a staple in the anime community for years and I think a thread with links to ones we love or some we've made could be a nice perk for the forums.

I understand we are not supposed to "self-promote" or provide links to "online streaming sites", etc. But this is something completely different and, throughout the boards, AMVs do pop up from time to time. It would be nice if we could have a central, official place to share them with each other.

I make AMVs every now and then and I enjoy getting feedback from people or just providing a link and letting people watch if they want to. I don't personally gain from it in any way, I just enjoy sharing. I would actually be interested in seeing what other people on the boards like or have created.

This would also be a place where people could post questions about making videos and the process of editing, what programs are good for what effects, and even how to create original animation productions. This would not support people posting links to raws or torrent sites, ect. People asking questions about where to get footage would not be encouraged to post those types of questions either.

Not sure if this has been suggested before or if it's been tried and failed miserably, but I thought I'd just throw it out there. And, if you don't like it, you can just throw it right back.

Thanks for listening.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 11:26 am Reply with quote
Already have a thread for AMVs.
Bento-Box

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 11:36 am Reply with quote
LOL - thanks.

Even funnier - I've posted there... *sigh* I think I'm having one of "those days". Embarassed
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 11:49 am Reply with quote
I'm just going to blurt out all my thoughts instead of making writing an essay, so lets hope it makes sense:

@Tony K.
I think a thread similar to that of the ANN Series Discussion thread is more of what Bento-Box is talking about. A place where there's easy access to all the different AMVs out there.

Now then, if we do do one like the Discussion thread, it has to be organized so it's not a big jumble of links and mass confusion.

Here's what I'm thinking: Do it like recommendations. We have a Main Thread that holds links to Individual Threads. These individual threads are the shows themselves. In the Individual Threads are links to AMVs. Ideally the first post would be updated to have all the links in it. There will also be discussion in this thread. So if someone wants a certain scene to use, someone else gives a timecode to a scene that may work for what that person wants.

So it's like this: I want to see a Claymore AMV. I go to the Main thread and click Claymore. That then takes me to the Claymore Individual Thread and from there a I look through the AMVs. It works just like the Recommendation system.

Also, lets say I want to use a scene for my own AMV and I want a lot of blood. I go to the Claymore thread and ask for a recommendation. Then someone else chimes and says something like, "On episode 17 at about 12:30 Rakki's head explodes [not a real spoiler]. That should work".

That thread TK linked to could be included on the Main Thread as well so that if people want to talk about AMV's in general they know where to go.

We would also need someone designated with task of updating the Main Thread (Bento-Box) when Individual Threads pop up.

However, this may or may not be more stress on the Mods. While there are a lot of shows, there aren't AMVs for every single one of them. Also, this idea may not spark like wildfire anyways (no offense), making it easy to maintain.

Here's the forum procedure. There's a link to the Main thread in the Anime and Manga Sections so that people who don't venture in to the Music Section (like myself) know about it, but all the action (individual threads) takes place in the Music Section.

I think that's all I've got right now. Now then, lets see if you can make heads or tails of it.

-----------------------------------------------------------

EDIT: Just read Bento-Box's post, but I still leave my idea on the table in case anyone wants to do it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Bento-Box

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 1:28 pm Reply with quote
Actually, King of Hearts, I was referring to just a thread, but I agree with you that I would like to see something more... well, involved and less "link oriented". Of course, there would actually have to be an interest for something like this.

It might be possible to have a thread devoted to AMVs for particular series and then a miscellaneous thread as well for titles that aren't as popular. Like King mentioned, it probably would take a lot of work. I wouldn't mind checking in on the thread and updating the main page to the best of my abilities either - if you guys really needed someone to do it.

It could be a place for people to browse like a library for AMVs from particular series without resorting to searching "Naruto AMV" in a search engine.

At the same time, there may not be enough interest out there....

To be honest, I thought you were about to tease me, King, so I came back to the thread to see what you had written and then copy/paste into the "memorable quotes" thread. Razz

Also - something I just noticed, the other thread hasn't been used in nearly a year because there isn't really much "discussion". If the topics were designed to promote discussion vs. link posting the thread may or may not do better.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1