• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Summer Wars Gets Oscar-Qualifying Run in California

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sonickid101

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 11:17 am Reply with quote
FANTASTIC! I'm rooting for this one, sure Toy Story 3 will probably win, but a nomination will be great for anime recognition. Also, Secret of Kells should have one last year to, but Up was a great film so I'll let it slide. Im watching you academy, a foreign animated film will win one of these days!
zensunni

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 11:27 am Reply with quote
I loved UP, but The Secret of Kells is a masterpiece! It deserved the Oscar! I hope Summer Wars gets it's nomination and does well. I don't know that it has a chance to win with all of the big name US animation that came out this year, but I would be willing to bet it will be MY favorite! (I haven't seen TS3, since my kids didn't want to go. I would have liked to, but I expect I will Netflix-it.)
Otaku Teahouse

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 11:44 am Reply with quote
You know, I'm pretty sure that Toy Story 3 will win, but I eally want Summer Wars to get nominated, cause a nomination is sure to put a huge boost in sales for it and will ensure more people will see this amazing movie. Some of us anime fans may be jaded and call it another Digimon movie, but for the mainstream, this is one anime movie I am proud to show to people who aren't anime fans.
gartholamundi

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 11:58 am Reply with quote
totally agree with you on that one, Otaku Teahouse. this is great news.

=)
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 12:28 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
in order to qualify for the 83rd Annual Academy Awards, films must run commercially for at least seven consecutive days in a Los Angeles County theater.

Because as we all know, LA County is the only place in America that matters.

Personally, as of now, having seen Toy Story 3 and Despicable Me as well, I am rooting for How To Train Your Dragon. Man, that was a magnificent movie! I rented it thinking it might be a lightweight cute film, but it turned out to be a smart, thrilling adventure story. Both my mother and I had to admit, to our great surprise, that we preferred it to TS3.

Of course, I haven't seen Summer Wars to compare, and if it only runs in LA County (the only place in America that matters!) then I won't see it until it comes out on video. Meanwhile, though, I'm only one hold behind on Secret of Kells at the library, so I have that to look forward to. Very Happy
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 12:37 pm Reply with quote
So it got a dub then? Else it's already a non-starter. We had a yank on our BBC Breakfast pushing "Let Me In" the remake of the Swedish original "Let The Right One In". He was asked why a re-make when the original is so good. He replied "Americans don't like to read their movies. " Seems you sub only lot are an extreme minority. Wink Good luck with that.

Last edited by Mohawk52 on Thu Nov 11, 2010 12:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
gartholamundi

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 12:43 pm Reply with quote
@ Mohawk, from yesterday's news:

English dub of "official 2011 Oscar submission" premieres on November 20 in NYC
DarkCyradis

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 12:57 pm Reply with quote
Ooh, that AMC is near my work--will definitely be checking it out~ I just hope it'll still be the subbed version they show...

I would be thrilled if a non-Ghibli Japanese-animated film would win an Oscar! It kills me that Satoshi Kon was never recognized by the Academy for his outstanding work, so this is our chance to finally widen the western film world's view of the Japanese animantion world.
gartholamundi

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 1:09 pm Reply with quote
DarkCyradis wrote:
It kills me that Satoshi Kon was never recognized by the Academy for his outstanding work ...

I was thinking the same thing ... if only Millenium Actress had not been drop-kicked by the change in management at Dreamworks! (At least that's my understanding of the completely underwhelming release of MA.) It would have run against Shrek, Monsters Inc, and Jimmy Neutron, but man it would have been worth it just for the nomination. while the academy politics almost certainly would have kept it from winning, just the idea that Satoshi Kon would have gotten some of the wider recognition he deserved ... agh ... it burns, it burns!
bravetailor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 1:29 pm Reply with quote
zensunni wrote:
I loved UP, but The Secret of Kells is a masterpiece! It deserved the Oscar! I hope Summer Wars gets it's nomination and does well. I don't know that it has a chance to win with all of the big name US animation that came out this year, but I would be willing to bet it will be MY favorite! (I haven't seen TS3, since my kids didn't want to go. I would have liked to, but I expect I will Netflix-it.)

I might be the only person on this board (or in anime fandom) who thinks Ponyo was Miyazaki's best film since Porco Rosso, and that it was the best animated film I saw in 2009. (Although Kells and Coraline both come a close second. The more I see UP, the more I think it is one of Pixar's most overrated) Sad

Anyway, who cares if TS3 wins or not. Oscar is hardly an indication of quality (not saying that TS3 is bad, but I'd hardly consider it one of Pixar's best...sorry TS3 fans!). How many times did Scorsese get screwed out of an Oscar only to win it for his least-deserving film he ever made?

As long as Summer Wars gets some exposure, it's all good I guess.
lostinagoodbook

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 1:35 pm Reply with quote
I'm definitely going to be there to see this movie in theaters. I wanted to see it in Anaheim recently but my kid wants to see it too and he has trouble with subtitles. I'm assuming this is the dub since it will already have been released. This will be great!
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:05 pm Reply with quote
(posted in error, please ignore)

Last edited by Mohawk52 on Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:11 pm; edited 2 times in total
Kyogissun

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:06 pm Reply with quote
Maybe Funimation will luck out. Someone important and with a lot of money will see it and go 'OH MY GOD, THAT WAS GREAT, MORE PEOPLE NEED TO SEE THIS' and fund a small fortune to get it some marketing and theater runs.

Not highly likely, but I'm wishing the best for them.
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:21 pm Reply with quote
I'm hoping that's where actual AMPAS members live and/or watch movies, 'cus it sounds like the wrong place if the company wants to get their attention.

vash: The voters important to the contest live in L.A. County, so...

garth: It wasn't a change in management. It was the fact that the company thought House of Sand and Fog was a better bet. Again, though, try contacting the Oscars and Annies to see if you can get him a posthumous award.
ZipZapZopTitania

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 3:36 pm Reply with quote
Crud, I kept thinking about watching it because it was getting such a good response and EVERYBODY has watched it, but I never got to it. Now that they're pushing for an Oscar...oh, my flipping Haruhi. Just imagining an anime film getting an Oscar makes me want to do ze dance of joy. Anime hyper Not only that, but I had no idea it was FUNi that got it. Now I've gotta watch it. (Dang, I gotta look up the cast! Imagine Vic or Brina or freaking SOMEBODY in a movie that won an Oscar!)

...But...you're probably right, people. Let's face it, it's not gonna win against Toy Story. And, frankly, How to Train Your Dragon is my favorite movie evar, tied with Inception. So I'm going to be rooting for that more than Summer Wars. However, that's not saying I wouldn't be completely okay with it winning. I most certainly would. Anime deserves much better recognition than it's getting ('SUP I'M MISS OBVIOUS HOW YOU DOIN'?), and if it won an Oscar, well...see above paragraph. HTTYD gets enough recognition, anyhow~

Hmm. Maybe I will root for Summer Wars. I'll watch it when the dub comes out. Anime catgrin + sweatdrop
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3