• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Why??? [No International Streaming]

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 2:29 pm Reply with quote
PetrifiedJello wrote:
DerekTheRed wrote:
My sarcasmometer may be malfunctioning, but Netflix does stream SF/S23 and some other miscellaneous anime stuff.

I did not know this, honestly. I was going to sign up for the free trial around December, when things slowed down a bit.

Now that I know... well, this isn't good for ANN. Netflix just took the lead.

Beyond the titles Derek posted I know my gf just added about a dozen titles herself to her Netflix queue for streaming. Have to ask her what titles she added but they're not the first. She's been doing it for a good 2 months now since she found out she could.
Fellistowe

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 4:51 am Reply with quote
Hmm... how much would I be willing to pay?

I'm on Crunchyrolls premium anime membership at the moment, and am quite happy to pay that for the current quantity of shows available.

On a pay per view basis? Hmm, bit harder to say; I guess on comparison to a DVD set, I'd be willing to pay up to 1/4 of a sets cost, but would prefer a tenth.
So if a 12 ep series is costing me £25 that's around £2 an episode divided down, working at 50p for the 1/4 and 20p for the tenth.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 9:49 am Reply with quote
Fellistowe wrote:
I'm on Crunchyrolls premium anime membership at the moment, and am quite happy to pay that for the current quantity of shows available.

Might you also be willing to pay for ANN's new Premium Service, if and when any accessible titles become available on it?

Although perhaps not as "fair" as a service incorporating multi-regional free-to-play content such as CR's simulcasts, being able to pay a small amount upfront to overcome the restrictions imposed by the lack of local advertising revenue might be the next best option.
(As in the case of Crunchyroll Premium content, one presumes such a service would not require the involvement of our local licensors.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Fellistowe

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 10:07 am Reply with quote
Zin5ki wrote:
Might you also be willing to pay for ANN's new Premium Service, if and when any accessible titles become available on it?

I'd have my mouse pointer paused and ready to click the big "Send Money Now" button the moment they announced we in the UK could have access to it too Wink

While you don't get as much "bang for your buck" as with CR, we all have to start somewhere and I'd love to be able to support ANN on the road to becoming an established streaming distributor. The more legal means for us in the UK to watch stuff, the better.
Shichimi

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 12:19 pm Reply with quote
Didn't really notice this thread before. I think...whatever Crunchy membership is ($6 a month or thereabouts isn't it?), I'll pay for if ANN ever came into the position to stream titles to other areas.

I'm not going to this season, but after that, I think Crunchy has earned my membership. They've gone to the effort to grab so many shows that I'm curious about, I do feel now that I should reward that going forward.

I mean seriously, wow. Good job, CR.

Last edited by Shichimi on Thu Oct 07, 2010 1:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 1:11 pm Reply with quote
Zin5ki wrote:
ANN's new Premium Service

When did this become available?

This is bad because if I missed it, I wonder how many others missed it.

I'm curious about the coupons and extras enough I may just have to give up two boxes of Pocky to check it out.

Especially if those coupons more than make up for the $5 cost.

Question: why is this not tied to subscriber services? Just asking, not requesting.
Fellistowe

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 2:41 am Reply with quote
PetrifiedJello wrote:
When did this become available?

This is bad because if I missed it, I wonder how many others missed it.

I noticed it via this front page article, which I can see your point is fairly easily missed as it's not a static article/notice on the site.
I'm guessing as we slowly get the 'new look' ANN frontpage then it'll become more prominent, but, if they want this venture to take off they really do need a big flashing neon advert for it up on the front page... Wink
tuxedocat

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 2:38 am Reply with quote
I signed up for one of the shows, but I don't think that I would regularly support a pay-per-show structure. At this point, however, I can see why ANN is doing it that way. Maybe in the future ANN will have enough content to support a system similar to what Crunchyroll is doing. I could see that this pay-per-show structure would be particularly useful for foreign regions, where ad supported streams aren't effective.

One thing I noticed was that I was able to pay by credit card for the show, though for some reason, the ANN subscription page is separate and only takes PayPal (which I won't use). That doesn't really make sense to me. I would think that ANN would want to take advantage of a customer with a credit card in hand, by selling subscriptions on the same page. Sort of like a "point of purchase" item that are placed near check out stands in B&Ms, my purchase would have been $25, instead of just $5 (if such a feature had been available to me).

In any case, I'm interested in seeing how ANN's entrance into the game will evolve. So far, I have subscriptions with Crunchy, TAN and Netflix. All of these in differing degrees are worth the money to me, since the subscriptions = ad free with good quality. Hulu is not getting my money until they offer an ad-free viewing experience.

Personally, I would suggest that ANN try for some of the older shows. I think they have more of the audience that would welcome that sort of content than the other sites.
Dan42
Chief Encyclopedist

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 5:48 am Reply with quote
tuxedocat wrote:
One thing I noticed was that I was able to pay by credit card for the show, though for some reason, the ANN subscription page is separate and only takes PayPal (which I won't use).

Actually on the Paypal page it says "No PayPal account? Pay using your credit or debit card".
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
tuxedocat

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 12:42 pm Reply with quote
Dan42 wrote:
tuxedocat wrote:
One thing I noticed was that I was able to pay by credit card for the show, though for some reason, the ANN subscription page is separate and only takes PayPal (which I won't use).

Actually on the Paypal page it says "No PayPal account? Pay using your credit or debit card".

Yes, it does. But it requires you to make a PayPal account which I don't want to do.
agila61

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 4:10 am Reply with quote
With respect to the pay per view option, I would indeed pay $5/season for a show I was following.

I will also be willing to pay $1 to get ads taken off a back catalog title for one month, and if that was an adjunct to the regular ANN subscription, I'd get the subscription and decide month by month which back catalog titles I wanted ad free, if any, for that month.
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 1:51 am Reply with quote
tuxedocat wrote:
One thing I noticed was that I was able to pay by credit card for the show, though for some reason, the ANN subscription page is separate and only takes PayPal (which I won't use). That doesn't really make sense to me. I would think that ANN would want to take advantage of a customer with a credit card in hand, by selling subscriptions on the same page. Sort of like a "point of purchase" item that are placed near check out stands in B&Ms, my purchase would have been $25, instead of just $5 (if such a feature had been available to me).
There are any number of reasons that a small business would want to avoid both credit and debit cards.
Please note that I do not mean to imply that ANN is necessarily influenced by any of the info. referenced to by the above links. I am merely highlighting the well-known pros & cons of the PayPal vs. credit card vs. debit card debate.
agila61

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 8:50 pm Reply with quote
... now that I have a Roku, I'd pay a $5/month subscription to get ANN's non-premium content on Roku. I prefer watching anime episodes on the Roku, but its mostly limited to Crunchyroll and dubs on Netflix, when I normally prefer subs.

Though I'd prefer if that was for an account that allowed watching the non-premium content ad-free in the same subscription.

Obviously adding international streaming is a step in complexity on top of that, because of the rights issues, but an ad-free subscription would at least address the problem of the underdeveloped streaming ad markets outside of North America, and might allow adding the most common Crunchyroll European markets of UK& Ireland, Iceland, Norway, Sweden, Finland and sometimes Denmark.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2