• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sentai Offers Clannad After Story Dub Upgrade Program

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Redlinks

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 1:29 am Reply with quote
Hopefully Sentai is finally getting it that a lot of people want bilingual options on their DVDs. This is great news!
KENZICHI

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 1:29 am Reply with quote
Ah, this is really nice! I think this is a good idea. I know if I had purchased the sub-only release, (expecting it to be the ONLY release) I would have felt cheated when the dub was released months later.
nhat

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 1:44 am Reply with quote
Worth it. This series is amazing and getting a dub will make it easier to show it to people.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 2:04 am Reply with quote
Awesome. I'll definitely be taking advantage of it and swaping mine out for the upgrade.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 2:07 am Reply with quote
nhat wrote:
Worth it. This series is amazing and getting a dub will make it easier to show it to people.

Which dub-loving mainstream** people could you show this moe to?! Laughing

[** Non-mainstream people would know to buy this on their own.]
Kurohei

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 2:48 am Reply with quote
That means there is hope for a Gintama dub Very Happy
Sakura-Alchemist

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 3:03 am Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
nhat wrote:

Which dub-loving mainstream** people could you show this moe to?! Laughing

[** Non-mainstream people would know to buy this on their own.]

derp, well i kinda wanted to Show my Dad/Mom Clannad After Story, but I know they don't like subs so i never did. so... that's who for me. :M

Still, I likely won't be exchanging my DVDs, it'll screw up the fit my Taiwanese art box.
Sailor S

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 3:06 am Reply with quote
Redlinks wrote:
Hopefully Sentai is finally getting it that a lot of people want bilingual options on their DVDs. This is great news!

Sentai has understood that from the start, but this business model of theirs makes sense. Do you think that a show like, say Kampfer, would sell enough to recoup the costs of dubbing it? I don't, but I could be wrong. It could become a good seller. In which case they can go back and dub it. But, if it does the kind of sales that I think it will (not hating on Kampfer, for the record, I kinda enjoyed it) then dubbing it from the onset would have been financially foolish. Could they have assumed that Clannad would post good sales? Well, I think it's a great anime, so if you ask me, it should have. But, considering all that they went through, they can't afford to take the risk of dubbing indiscriminately.

Anways, I think it's great that it's getting a dub. Not because I like dubs, far from it, but because now hopefully people who were interested but refuse to watch subtitled anime will go out and purchase this show. I may be a strict subbie, but I support people getting to watch shows how they please as long as it doesn't affect me. Plus, if it's getting a dub, that means it's posted good sales numbers, and that's always a good thing.
Finny-chan

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 5:29 am Reply with quote
Thats cool I can't wait I'm enjoying the dub so far.

I will always have hope that Special A and Shigofumi will get one in the future as well as their other licenses once they get the ball rolling and make even more money. When it comes to DVDs I'd rather have them dubbed, but if I really have to buy something subbed only then I will especially if its my favorite series. Very Happy
vulcanraven01

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 6:19 am Reply with quote
Kurohei wrote:

Erm, no... lol
You're comparing a short, yet very popular series with a 201 ep, very otaku-aimed show.
Gintama just wouldn't be proitable to dub unless the sub-only sets sold like hot cakes and the show magically got offered a prime TV slot.
Be thankfuly we even get such series over here.
I think at least now, Sentai have the experience to know what to dub and what not to dub.
Reaper gI

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 7:24 am Reply with quote
vulcanraven01 wrote:
Kurohei wrote:

Erm, no... lol
You're comparing a short, yet very popular series with a 201 ep, very otaku-aimed show.

Popular 201 ep show, with fujoshi fanbase, and short otaku show.
Both are very highly rated.

Gintama isn't aimed at otaku. It makes references ocasionaly but they're nothing like the ones in Lucky Star, Hayate no Gotoku or the visual gags SHAFT uses.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 9:33 am Reply with quote
Reaper gI wrote:
Gintama isn't aimed at otaku. It makes references ocasionaly but they're nothing like the ones in Lucky Star, Hayate no Gotoku or the visual gags SHAFT uses.

You're talking about a show that parodied the last 2 minutes or so of the TV series ending of Evangelion. It goes beyond the simple references in Hayate or Lucky Star.

Although I do agree that it has a heavy fujoshi fanbase. But simple enough, if Gintama sells well enough for Sentai then they will dub it. Though I haven't heard that Sentai has even picked up past episode 50 or whatever the first chunk that they licensed. So who knows if we'll even get past that.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:57 am Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
Reaper gI wrote:

You're talking about a show that parodied the last 2 minutes or so of the TV series ending of Evangelion. It goes beyond the simple references in Hayate or Lucky Star.

Although I do agree that it has a heavy fujoshi fanbase. But simple enough, if Gintama sells well enough for Sentai then they will dub it. Though I haven't heard that Sentai has even picked up past episode 50 or whatever the first chunk that they licensed. So who knows if we'll even get past that.

According to Rob Pereyda, female-oriented shows get a lot a lot of views on Crunchyroll, but mostly from non-subscribers. It is the otaku shows that get the most paid subscriber views. Make of that what you will.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 12:20 pm Reply with quote
I hope that this time they do use the stack packing this time it make it much harder to get the disc out
aeolus23

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 12:31 pm Reply with quote
Sailor S wrote:
Anways, I think it's great that it's getting a dub. Not because I like dubs, far from it, but because now hopefully people who were interested but refuse to watch subtitled anime will go out and purchase this show. I may be a strict subbie, but I support people getting to watch shows how they please as long as it doesn't affect me. Plus, if it's getting a dub, that means it's posted good sales numbers, and that's always a good thing.

This is almost like saying that most dub fans always have to hold their breath for a dub version and cannot tolerate anime in subtitles. Surely, you're not implying that dub fans are this stubborn. Wink

I consider myself a pretty adamant dub fan, but that didn't stop me from purchasing the subtitled DVDs for both seasons.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3