• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 20% Less Booths at Tokyo Anime Fair as Talks Continue

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Divineking

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 8:01 am Reply with quote
TAF is falling down, falling down, falling down...
Ranmah

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 8:02 am Reply with quote
I am not surprised by that. I've been a strong supporter of TAF since 2006. I will continue the boycott along with my colleagues until this stupid law is rescinded.

The law makes no sense and the wording is too complicated for a layman to fully understand. I don't know if the governor is being mental or stupid. The governor in my opinion is shooting himself in the foot for passing a stupid law.

Time will tell if TAF will have any real huge negative effects in the spring.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Shii

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:16 am Reply with quote
If anyone knows people at those companies, tell them to pull out!
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:05 am Reply with quote
So Good Smile Company is going to be at ACE but not TAF?
TAF is fu**ed! Laughing
Fletcher1991

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:50 am Reply with quote
Divineking wrote:
TAF is falling down, falling down, falling down...

I doubt that many will care when some of the smaller companies pull out, look at the companies in comparison that will still be there. If I had the option to go to one I think TAF sounds more appealing.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 11:27 am Reply with quote
Good. I hope that TAF falls hard. It's ridiculous. The creators are taking a stand on this. Lot of big names are pissed off. Though I wonder how the new fair will affect the TAF in revenue. Wouldn't anything that the new fair make still be taxed in any way and make it back to source?
mogiks

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 11:29 am Reply with quote
Time to nitpick grammar! In the title and the short summary on the front page, both "20% less booths" and "37% fewer exhibitors" are used. Only the latter is correct. (Google less vs. fewer). Booths and exhibitors are both quantifiable so it should be "20% fewer booths".

Still, cookies for getting one right.
Jrittmayer

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 11:33 am Reply with quote
There are alot of people hoping TAF fails hard, and while I don't want the comapanies attending TAF to suffer, I want the message to get across. I hope ACE is a big sucess!
Kohii

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 11:36 am Reply with quote
Ishihara has said "worry not, they'll come back". I hope not. Nothing positive will come out of this. This is all his fault and I hope someone in his family is a closet otaku.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 11:38 am Reply with quote
Sorry to disappoint but...

TAF was very expensive. For many companies this is more about taking a stand against TAF's high prices than it is about taking a stand against the new law.

-t
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 11:50 am Reply with quote
Chrno2 wrote:
Wouldn't anything that the new fair make still be taxed in any way and make it back to source?

ACE isn't in Tokyo. Money earned by Makuhari Messe (the convention center) will be taxed by Chiba, not Tokyo. Shohizei (Consumption Tax) is national, to Tokyo never got that int he first place.

I have no idea where the organizing committee is located (assuming they incorporated an independent company for this), but if it was incorporated outside of Tokyo, then non of its revenue will be taxed by Tokyo.

Finally... profit ? Honestly, I highly doubt ACE will turn a profit. And while a profit would be nice, it isn't the principal goal. The goal is to promote the industry and get more people watching anime.

-t
Egan Loo

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 11:51 am Reply with quote
mogiks wrote:
Time to nitpick grammar! In the title and the short summary on the front page, both "20% less booths" and "37% fewer exhibitors" are used. Only the latter is correct. (Google less vs. fewer). Booths and exhibitors are both quantifiable so it should be "20% fewer booths".

As The Chicago Manual of Style notes, the issue is idiomatic rather than strictly grammatical. In this case, the reason "less" was used in the title but not in the article intro is simple: "less" has fewer characters than "fewer," and titles have a maximum character limit.
bayoab

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:07 pm Reply with quote
Looking at the list of who is attending what, TAF has a clear family and kids focused and ACE is looking like everyone else focused. There's still enough time for the companies to print more limited edition merchandise to cover the costs for ACE since that's the target audience for that stuff right?
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:26 pm Reply with quote
Well that the youth bill for you they did say they wont come
configspace

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 1:49 pm Reply with quote
With the anime studios attending TAF prohibited from displaying series owned by the publishers pulling out and with that recent news about FES Anime Song event also held next to it, ACE is looking to capture more of the core audience.

bayoab wrote:
Looking at the list of who is attending what, TAF has a clear family and kids focused and ACE is looking like everyone else focused. There's still enough time for the companies to print more limited edition merchandise to cover the costs for ACE since that's the target audience for that stuff right?

lol, ACE-special figures and artbooks? Maybe a DVD of the FES event afterwards?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2