• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The X Button - Get Serious

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ninjaclown

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 1:43 am Reply with quote
I don't see it. Versus XIII doesn't look generic at all.
Forte-sama

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 1:53 am Reply with quote
Quote:
"Remember when Electronic Gaming Monthly put together a fake Square-Nintendo crossover game called Kingdom Mushroom Hearts?"

For the record, the "game" that EGM reported on was called "Mushroom Kingdom Hearts", not "Kingdom Mushroom Hearts". Just pointing that out.

Anyways, while I know the release of MVC3 is right around the corner, I'm still a little annoyed that there's no MegaMan of any kind. At least give us Star Force or .EXE MegaMan. I know Zero is a nice addition, but he just can't replace the Blue Bomber.
edzieba

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 3:57 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Final Fantasy XIII's preparation-heavy battles
What.
XII, yes, you had Gambits to prepare and equipment to, well, equip. XIII? Hit the 'auto attack' button until the enemy dies. Maybe select a specific target if you're thinking unusually strategically. You don't even need to heal before battles!
Penguin_Factory

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 5:14 am Reply with quote
Final Fantasy is starting to remind me of the stuck-up posers my brother deals with in his English course in college. If the game titles alone get any more pretentious they're going to collapse into some sort of singularity.

Versus XIII actually looks interesting, but the protagonist is worryingly bland. Also, "Noctis" and "Stella"? That makes Cloud and Aerith look subtle.
Shenl742

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 6:19 am Reply with quote
:Waits patiently for Bandai-Namco to announce Tales of Graces f and Vesperia PS3 at their press even today:
naninanino

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 6:44 am Reply with quote
Shenl742 wrote:
:Waits patiently for Bandai-Namco to announce Tales of Graces f and Vesperia PS3 at their press even today:

I'm anticipating a troll announcement of epic proportions. This is Bandai Namco we're talking about here.
John Casey

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 10:04 am Reply with quote
I'm sorry, but I found a lot of problems with this week's column, which hopefully will be addressed...

1-Versus XIII is a Tetsuya Nomura game. So of course, it'll be generic fanboy bullshit. Why are we caring two ass' rats for this, and not the REAL DEAL like Final Fantasy Type-0? It's insulting that, even as an...erm, insult, spotlight is being shined on the talentless hack that is Failmura. I DEMAND that Type-0 be covered next time. I hate the fact that it's getting largely ignored by...pretty much everyone thanks to Nomura's jackassery, and by far and large it's shaping up to be the better game. By lightyears.

2-SE would have to be majorly, MAJORLY **** if they're to omit VI and IX. So don't worry - they're extremely stupid, but not totally hopeless.

3-No one is going to call The 3rd Birthday "Parasite Eve 3" for several reasons. Aside from Aya...this game IS NOTHING like the PE games, and has NOTHING TO DO WITH THEM. Secondly, the game frickin sucks. Thirdly, the gameplay makes Generic Shooter #495 feel like a godamn god-send. Everyone but Square will forget this game ever existed in like a week.

Shenl742 wrote:

Pacefalm.

[EDIT: So you found a way around the site's harsh language filter. Congrats, you get an official warning for that. You're really pushing the line on tolerable posts here, JC. - Key]
Generic #757858

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 10:15 am Reply with quote
Man, I don't know. I hate the main character already, but aside from that I thought that Versus actually looked surprisingly good! Not quite enough to make me want to get a PS3, but enough to make me jealous if it stays an exclusive.

Oh well, at least Dark Souls is coming to the Crapbox too. Though I'm a little annoyed that it's being published by Bamco, meaning that it'll be region locked and take forever coming to Europe.

Last edited by Generic #757858 on Wed Feb 02, 2011 1:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
Shenl742

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 10:51 am Reply with quote
John Casey wrote:
Shenl742 wrote:

Pacefalm.

And this is for...what exactly? If you have an issue with what I've said, why don't you use actual words to express it?

Last edited by Shenl742 on Wed Feb 02, 2011 11:01 am; edited 1 time in total
asimpson2006

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 10:59 am Reply with quote
John Casey wrote:
I'm sorry, but I found a lot of problems with this week's column, which hopefully will be addressed...

1-Versus XIII is a Tetsuya Nomura game. So of course, it'll be generic fanboy bullshit. Why are we caring two ass' rats for this, and not the REAL DEAL like Final Fantasy Type-0? It's insulting that, even as an...erm, insult, spotlight is being shined on the talentless hack that is Failmura. I DEMAND that Type-0 be covered next time. I hate the fact that it's getting largely ignored by...pretty much everyone thanks to Nomura's jackassery, and by far and large it's shaping up to be the better game. By lightyears.

It's just a video game calm down.

Generic can fun sometimes.

EDIT:

Since I though XIII was not that bad of game I do look forward to Vs XIII.

The more I hear about MvC3 the happier I am that I pre-ordered it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Jrittmayer

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 11:43 am Reply with quote
XBL Indie games actually pretty fun, there are alot of undiscovered gems! I just wish it had achievements since they give me more of an incentive to play them (Sorry for being shallow Wink )
Letthemeatraep

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 12:38 pm Reply with quote
Wow, really forcing the anti-FF agenda down our throats this week, eh?

Considering some of the generic garbage (Hello Megaman) that seems to be aggressively championed in these articles, I find it extremely rich that something like FF VS XIII is getting slammed when by all accounts it is looking likely to avoid the pitfalls that made so many hate FFXIII so much.

Believe it or not, people like John Casey are not your primary audience, so not just feeding into the bias of the embittered minority would be greatly appreciated in future.
sepherest

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 1:10 pm Reply with quote
Looking at the Dissidia alt outfits (most of which are acceptable but jeebus Kain's are awful) it looks like they actually combined two of Amano's drawings of Cloud that had two separate outfits that looked slightly similar. And unfortunately cut out the second suspender that was in one of them (though I don't mind the missing coattail pieces).

I was a little tentative on how Versus was going to turn out, and I did like some other news I heard about the story, but the gameplay kind of squashed any interest I had in it. I can't be the only person that just wants just a plain ol' FF that isn't dreary, sci-fi, sequel/prequel/remake/spin-off, MMO, or...Nomura and Wada related.

And seeing all this reminded me of a certain article on Destructoid earlier this week...

But heck yeah, MvC3! The roster turned out pretty good aside no Megaman, but maybe him and some other missing characters will return on DLC. Though it seems it's still too soon to wish for someone from Rival Schools Crying or Very sad
Player No. 3

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 3:11 pm Reply with quote
Penguin_Factory wrote:
worryingly bland. Also, "Noctis" and "Stella"? That makes Cloud and Aerith look subtle.

It gets worse if you know Latin. His full name is Nocits Lucis Caelum which translates to - if my Latin is correct - "Sky of Night Light". What fills the sky with light at night? Stars. *cough* Stella *cough*
Generic #757858

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 3:26 pm Reply with quote
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3