• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Bandai to Replace Haruhi Season 2, Haruhi-chan Discs

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Splitter

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 9:39 pm Reply with quote
Amazing. Bandai will never learn.
Big Hed

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 10:42 pm Reply with quote
Uh-oh, I've only listened to the dub so far.
John Casey

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 10:42 pm Reply with quote
Another Bandai defect. What a surprise.
RoverTX

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 11:58 pm Reply with quote
I have about a 1000 DVD/Blu collection.

I have had 1 defective Funimation disc

I have had 1 defect ADV/Sentia disc

I have had 1 defect Media Blaster's disc

I have had at least at least 5 or 6 defective Bandia discs...... and a number of other ones that will only play on certain players from Bandia.... When I get a disc in the mail from Bandia first thing I do is run it through the DVD player at 5X to check for any defects......

PS: if it matters any I just checked my season 2 disc and its stero
AJMkarate717

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 1:18 am Reply with quote
At the risk of sounding ignorant, how would one check whether the audio stream is stereo or mono? I've tried listening to it, but I honestly don't know what to listen for... Any help is greatly appreciated. Smile
RoverTX

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 1:25 am Reply with quote
Download VLC

Open up the DVD and play, once your in the main title go to Window ---> media information ---> tracks and open them up till you find one that says Audio Japanese or Audio 日本語. If it says 2 or Stereo your disc is fine if it says 1 or Mono you got a bad one.

I am sure there is some one to do this with most built in players but this is an easy way that works for all platforms since VLC runs on just about anything.
Ingraman

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 1:53 am Reply with quote
RoverTX wrote:
Download VLC

Open up the DVD and play, once your in the main title go to Window ---> media information ---> tracks and open them up till you find one that says Audio Japanese or Audio 日本語. If it says 2 or Stereo your disc is fine if it says 1 or Mono you got a bad one.

I had another look at the thread on AoD to be sure that I was remembering correctly... Based upon what's stated there, your method won't work. The issue isn't that there is only 1 audio channel on the Japanese side. The problem is that while it's 2.0 audio, the left and right channels are identical. You'll have to listen the discs to tell if you've got the appropriate left and right sound...
RoverTX

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 2:01 am Reply with quote
Great.... did they mention a moment that it would be real clear that it was happening at?

Also is it that they merged the audio tracks or left one out?

In other words is it

if

R + L is correct

is the problem with the bad disc

R + R

or

(RL) + (RL)
Cyan Bloodbane

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 11:41 am Reply with quote
People are bigger fools than I thought if they "paid" for Season 2.

Endless 8 is a crime.
MAIKU69

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 1:06 pm Reply with quote
This is one of the many reasons why I switched from R1 to R2 in 05! You get what you pay for when it comes to products and services. Even if it does cost a lot more Cool .
Ingraman

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 1:38 pm Reply with quote
RoverTX wrote:
Great.... did they mention a moment that it would be real clear that it was happening at?

Two posts seem to indicate that the OP is the best place...

Quote:

This post seems to be the one that might answer your question. If it doesn't, the glance through the thread. I might have overlooked something.

Cyan Bloodbane wrote:
People are bigger fools than I thought if they "paid" for Season 2.

Endless 8 is a crime.

I watched the digisubs as the series was airing, and the varying levels of frustration from the viewers were entertaining.

It might be annoying, but it's not a crime. I might have preferred Endless 8 to have been an episode or two shorter, but I'm not bothered by it. I enjoyed both the 2006 and 2009 series enough to buy the BD release. I'm more disappointed that the Japanese BD release of Disappearance didn't include an English subtitle track after both the 2009 TV DVDs and the TV BD set had one. It's not like they didn't have a translation to put on the disc, after all.
RoverTX

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 4:35 pm Reply with quote
Ingraman wrote:
Quote:

This post seems to be the one that might answer your question. If it doesn't, the glance through the thread. I might have overlooked something.

It says the surround channels are missing but its only 2.0, not 2.1 even, so there shouldn't be any surround unless that means that the Japanese Audio was a downmix and what they left out was the surround channels and merge the first two.....

On a second note the first link you posted is perfect for testing. If your on a mac you can use Sound Studio

Its trial ware but should do the job

http://felttip.com/ss/
Dumnerd

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 4:22 pm Reply with quote
I just checked my Haruhi-chan & Haruhi: Season 2 DVDs. The audio on the Japanese track only came from my center speaker. I've had them on my shelf, unwatched, for months and Bandai Ent. is just now doing somthing about this?! Confused

Oh well, I was considering importing the Haruhi Blu-ray set anyway. I guess I have even more reason too now. Just wish that the Haruhi-chan Blu-ray set had an English track.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1