• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
RIGHT TURN ONLY!! - Kuro-Jack-uro

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Generic #757858

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 6:37 am Reply with quote
I fully agree with your criticism of Black Jack Carlo, but I still love it. Even the wildly inconsistent quality of the stories just somehow adds to the series' oddball charm.

Also, thanks for your review of Junketsu no Maria, definetily looks like something I might want to check out.
TheRoyalFamily

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 8:24 pm Reply with quote
Yet another edition of "ANN reviewers focus on the completely wrong thing in Gunslinger Girl."

Let's see, we had moe-hate. We had the old-and-busted canard of "eww there's men around non-relative children; must be pedo."

The Pinnochio arc might have seemed long...and it's not over at the end of v.3. It's actually one of the major arcs in the series, and it also serves as Triella's character arc, with her backstory and everything. This continues to v.5 (of course broken up by other girls' stories).

As for the art complaint...I wasn't bothered by it at all. It's been years since I've seen it though, and I don't seem to have my books handy to check up on it though.
Failachu

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:01 pm Reply with quote
TheRoyalFamily wrote:
moe-hate.

I have never understood this criticism towards GSG at all. I was always under the impression that 'moe' was all about atmosphere. And the idea of children being involved in counter-terrorism, the analyzing of north-side/south-side Italian politics, and touching on the 'nature vs. nurture' debate doesn't seem very 'moe' to me. As for it being 'only for Creeps?' I guess that makes my aunt a creep, because she loves the series.

Unless its about the characters themselves being children. In which case, Lain is a very moe show because it focuses entirely on a little girl using computers. Screw the undertones pertaining toward human transcendence and heavy sci-fi elements, it has a little girl as the main character and is aimed towards pedo- I mean adults, so it must be moe! Oh wait, moe didn't exist in the 90's right? Bad comparison.
ss-hikaru

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:59 pm Reply with quote
Wow! Kurozakuro is up to volume 3 already? For some reason I thought it was released just before Itsuwaribito and the next volume of that is only out in April. I thought the premise of Kurozakuro sounded good but I read somewhere (Wikipedia maybe?) that it was canceled by the Japanese magazine it was running in, so I've been waiting and reading reviews to see whether it's worth buying or not... I think I'll wait a bit more before deciding whether or not to commit to this series or not.
bglassbrook

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 1:44 am Reply with quote
As a re-release, it bears asking: Any take on the "brand-new translation" that Seven Seas was supposed to be bringing to these Gunslinger Girl omnibi?
belvadeer

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 3:11 pm Reply with quote
Maria sounds like a Mary Sue, but I hope I'm way off on this one.

Ah good ol' Tenchi Muyo, one of the true classics!
mufurc

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 6:48 pm Reply with quote
Failachu wrote:
I have never understood this criticism towards GSG at all. I was always under the impression that 'moe' was all about atmosphere. And the idea of children being involved in counter-terrorism, the analyzing of north-side/south-side Italian politics, and touching on the 'nature vs. nurture' debate doesn't seem very 'moe' to me.

Right. Let's look at it from another perspective. You have a show about poor young orphan girls who went through horrible traumas, and whose innocence and fragile soul is/was broken by the cruel, cruel world, their only human connection is their oniichan... sorry, "fratello," whose approval and love the girls crave like nothing else.

Yeah, sorry, but I can see where the critics are coming from.

Also, why do you think they're all little girls? (Yes, I know there's a boy, too. In a teeny-tiny role.) And why the handlers are men? (Don't you think it would make more sense to assign them to female handlers?)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1