• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Needless DVD Collection 1

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
R.G.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 12:15 am Reply with quote
Saw the first episode on Youtube.

I intend to get this one.
MeggieMay

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 12:32 am Reply with quote
Theron, you might want to look into Serena Gonzalaz being a newcomer. According to a poster at AnimeOnDVD she might actually be veteran Houston VA using a new last name due to getting married.
garfield15

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:30 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Girl's school uniforms or maid outfits are, bizarrely, the apparel of choice for most female characters associated with Simeon, while guys commonly wear apparel which shows off their rippling six-packs and sports impressively flared collars.

And I wouldn't want it any other way. Razz
Sanosuke_Inara

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:44 am Reply with quote
MeggieMay wrote:
Theron, you might want to look into Serena Gonzalaz being a newcomer. According to a poster at AnimeOnDVD she might actually be veteran Houston VA using a new last name due to getting married.
My thoughts exactly. I'm 100% that the voice is that of Serena Varghese, so marriage must be the cause of the name change.
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 10:30 am Reply with quote
Quote:
The source material comes from the older-skewing Ultra Jump, though, which means that this is actually a seinen series. To expect the greater degree of sophistication more typically seen in seinen series would be a big mistake, however, because for its age classification, Needless is as immature as they come.

Yeah, but when you look at other titles in Ultra Jump (Battle Angel Alita: Last Order, Tenjho Tenge), this should not necessarily surprise you. Not that I'm knocking all the titles that run in Ultra Jump, because certainly not all of them are immature, and immature or not I'm fan of a quite a few of their titles, but seinen does not necessarily mean sophisticated; sometimes it just means more violence and more T&A. Think about "R" rated movies in this country.
Key

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 11:06 am Reply with quote
MeggieMay wrote:

Various online sources now list her as Serena Varghese-Gonzalez. Apparently we will have to update her VA profile.

EDIT: The review has now been updated to reflect this.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
MeggieMay

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 4:06 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
MeggieMay wrote:

Various online sources now list her as Serena Varghese-Gonzalez. Apparently we will have to update her VA profile.

EDIT: The review has now been updated to reflect this.

Thanks for looking into this!
TC-man

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:00 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Although the animation production credits belong to MADHOUSE, one can be forgiven for mistaking this series for a Gainax production, as the animation style and certain artistic flairs are more indicative of past Gainax efforts (especially Gurren Lagann, from which the series takes some clear visual cues).

Well, the truth is that the Needless manga was first released in 2004, while Gurren Lagann (manga & anime) in 2007; the Needless anime adaptation's character design hasn't been changed, virtually it's very close to the manga counterpart (with minor changes, e.g. reduced violence and fanservice).

And for people who want to collect/buy this show (it's a decent show, not too bad at all, I would say, and there's some nice frenzy action and it's crazy funny if you don't mind the fanservice), BUT it has gotten the "Claymore" treatment by MadHouse, i.e. the show does get an anime original ending (perhaps a tad better than Claymore's anime ending in my opinion), because the manga at the time was not finished yet; well it's still ongoing.
Jrittmayer

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:18 pm Reply with quote
I remember loving this show, been meaning to pick up the BD and watch it a second time. I can only imagine how atrocious the English dub will be Very Happy
braves

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:52 pm Reply with quote
TC-man wrote:
Quote:
Although the animation production credits belong to MADHOUSE, one can be forgiven for mistaking this series for a Gainax production, as the animation style and certain artistic flairs are more indicative of past Gainax efforts (especially Gurren Lagann, from which the series takes some clear visual cues).

Well, the truth is that the Needless manga was first released in 2004, while Gurren Lagann (manga & anime) in 2007; the Needless anime adaptation's character design hasn't been changed, virtually it's very close to the manga counterpart (with minor changes, e.g. reduced violence and fanservice).
I'm sure he's talking about scenes like this (from ep. 15): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S7BdtdbqKs0

While TTGL has certainly been influential, all of it is part of the recent wave of animating in the Kanada style. It's not a GAINAX thing.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 3:55 pm Reply with quote
braves wrote:
TC-man wrote:
Quote:

I'm sure he's talking about scenes like this (from ep. 15): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S7BdtdbqKs0

While TTGL has certainly been influential, all of it is part of the recent wave of animating in the Kanada style. It's not a GAINAX thing.

If you mean the mangs-style art, try AIC & Steel Angel Kurumi which I believe ADV tried to explain as more an attempt to show action or cutting edge artistic sense or some such & not an attempt to cheap out. Kurumi aired in 1999 And one of the characters (the impaled one) is named Kurumi. And Solva's dress in reminiscent of the Kurumi costumes.
Again Mr. Martin dislikes a title I enjoyed immensely. I have far less hope for Black Butler set 2 which is waiting to be watched (probably after Megamind).
This is not as insane as Bobobo nor as weird as Dr Slump (though I've only read the manga). My interest is of course Koyasu who was also the lead in Bobobo so I spent most of my time on the Japanese track except for the couple eps so far he's had nothing to do in (like the 12th ep where Mr. Martin seems so fricken concerned about the impalement...actually considering Eve goes to drill hand for battle, there are lots of impalements. I just can't get that worked up about a 2-ep villain getting impaled when one of our hero team AND the hero have holes in their chests from said drill. The whole ep of 12 Adam's lying there with a gaping hole in his chest. However, he's the hero. I'm sure they'll fix him)
You know "Black Spot" is a joke. They say "Black Spot" in the Japanese track & not whatever it would be in Japanese.

Watching the first 12 eps, I saw refs to mech (drill hand), the whole set-up is the post apocalyptic worlds of Fist of the North Star & Trigun (The flashback with Solva's past really reminded me of Trigun), but mostly the powers thing consistantly hits on Scryed. Any given ep will ref 3 or more other titles in action or style which puts it solidly in spoof-land which I very much enjoy.
Hell, when Adam's chest is opened, we see metal so I assumed Dragonball Z Cyborgs, but actually the line was he's had metal & machines grafted into his body so more Wolverine which surprised me.
So maybe it's more enjoyable if one plays tie-the-bit-back-to-the-original, but it's in no way "stealing" ideas because the show knows it's all a joke.
R.G.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 1:45 pm Reply with quote
CCSYueh wrote:
braves wrote:
TC-man wrote:
Quote:

If you mean the mangs-style art, try AIC & Steel Angel Kurumi which I believe ADV tried to explain as more an attempt to show action or cutting edge artistic sense or some such & not an attempt to cheap out. Kurumi aired in 1999 And one of the characters (the impaled one) is named Kurumi. And Solva's dress in reminiscent of the Kurumi costumes.
Again Mr. Martin dislikes a title I enjoyed immensely. I have far less
hope for Black Butler set 2 which is waiting to be watched (probably after Megamind).
This is not as insane as Bobobo nor as weird as Dr Slump (though I've only read the manga). My interest is of course Koyasu who was also the lead in Bobobo so I spent most of my time on the Japanese track except for the couple eps so far he's had nothing to do in (like the 12th ep
where Mr. Martin seems so fricken concerned about the impalement...actually considering Eve goes to drill hand for battle, there are lots of impalements. I just can't get that worked up about a 2-ep villain getting impaled when one of our hero team AND the hero have holes in their chests from said drill. The whole ep of 12 Adam's lying there with a gaping hole in his chest. However, he's the hero. I'm sure they'll fix him)
You know "Black Spot" is a joke. They say "Black Spot" in the Japanese track & not whatever it would be in Japanese.

Watching the first 12 eps, I saw refs to mech (drill hand), the whole set-up is the post apocalyptic worlds of Fist of the North Star & Trigun (The flashback with Solva's past really reminded me of Trigun), but mostly the powers thing consistantly hits on Scryed. Any given ep will ref 3 or more other titles in action or style which puts it solidly in spoof-land which I very much enjoy.
Hell, when Adam's chest is opened, we see metal so I assumed
Dragonball Z Cyborgs, but actually the line was he's had metal & machines grafted into his body so more Wolverine which surprised me.
So maybe it's more enjoyable if one plays tie-the-bit-back-to-the-original, but it's in no way "stealing" ideas because the show knows it's all a joke.

Funny you should mention Scryed (about time somebody did) since it seems to me (and to a lot of people as well) that Needless is either a spiritual sucessor or (as far as its detractors are concerned) a ripoff of Scryed.

Your thoughts on this subject.
Xochoco

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 1:36 pm Reply with quote
I have been watching this on Anime Network on Demand. The series was bopping right along and I was enjoying it, until the heroes spoiler[infiltrate Simeon. The battle that ensues in the Safe Room takes about 10 epesodes (for one fight!) and seems to drag on forever. If you enjoy a blow by blow dissection of a fight with 15 min soliloquies in between each hit ], be my guest. I'll probably watch the rest, but I would not pay $ to watch this. Just MHO.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1