• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Mobile Software Company Aplix Buys Anime Studio AIC

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 2:12 pm Reply with quote
Ah, been a long time since AIC's heyday and "rubber" character animation in the 90's. With just 95 million yen (US$1.1 million) in capital, shows how weak Japanese anime studios typically are.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 2:16 pm Reply with quote
No, shows you how big AIC actually was. I wonder if Miura will still be kept.
ArthurFrDent

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 3:53 pm Reply with quote
interesting... AIC+ did Asobi Ni Ikuyo recently, and that looked quite good to me. Hopefully this won't mess with any of the work they are currently doing.
ScruffyKiwi

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 4:34 pm Reply with quote
Considering that Oremo has been on the top sellers on the BluRay I think AIC must be doing fairly well atm. Looks more like their parent company (makes gambling games?) just decided that they wern't really a good fit.
reanimator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 5:11 pm Reply with quote
ArthurFrDent wrote:
interesting... AIC+ did Asobi Ni Ikuyo recently, and that looked quite good to me. Hopefully this won't mess with any of the work they are currently doing.

I understand your concern. You're afraid that this new parent company may dictate creative policy.

I'm no expert on the industry. However, looking at the history of Japanese animation studios, I'm sure whole acquisition is pretty much about if AIC is making money for parent company or not. If AIC doesn't make money for this mobile app company, then it'll sell AIC to someone else. It's all business and it happens to any industry.

Madhouse was owned by a parent company, but it didn't affect their creative output.
SonicRenegade84

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 7:22 pm Reply with quote
Hmm, AIC did Oreimo? Then why did they need to be bought out when so many hardcore collectors were predicted to go out and buy anything of this show? Oh well. I guess unless you're Kyoto Animation or JC Staff, you're not guaranteed for anything.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
TJR

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 10:35 pm Reply with quote
Regarding Oreimo, AIC isn't entitled to any of the profits since they never joined the production committee. They made the show, they got their fixed production fee. Meanwhile, Aniplex et al. cheer as the money rolls on in.

AIC has had a few other hits (the biggie being Strike Witches 2), for which they invested a little in. However, it seems pretty clear that they were never rolling in the dough.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 11:36 pm Reply with quote
reanimator wrote:
ArthurFrDent wrote:

I understand your concern. You're afraid that this new parent company may dictate creative policy.

I'm no expert on the industry. However, looking at the history of Japanese animation studios, I'm sure whole acquisition is pretty much about if AIC is making money for parent company or not. If AIC doesn't make money for this mobile app company, then it'll sell AIC to someone else. It's all business and it happens to any industry.

Or they could sell their soul and make films like Xi Avant which "is tied to the NTT Docomo mobile phone network's next-generation Xi service," or Michael Bay's Transformers which sold its soul to General Motors. Laughing
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1