• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Aniplex USA to Release Baccano! Blu-ray Box in May

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DeityofDestiny

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 11:59 pm Reply with quote
The Japanese release actually included the English dub as well, so that isn't an inclusion to Aniplex USA's release.

Really the only differences I see so far are the price, a reduction in special features (going off of Aniplex USA's page on their site), digipack (Japan) vs BD cases (Aniplex USA), and the possibility of Aniplex USA's release being region A (unless their R.O.D. box was region free, in which case I assume their Baccano! box will be as well) while Japan's was region free like practically all their other BD releases.
darcerin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 12:11 am Reply with quote
Errr, maybe someone can unconfuse me.

Funimation had the license as of last year. Did Aniplex take it away from them? If so, why? I didn't pick up the Funi release (figured I had some time...) so is this release going to be better than the Funi one?

I must have missed a new article on this somewhere...
Pepperidge

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 12:22 am Reply with quote
FUNi never had the BD rights to Baccano!, only DVD.

While it's going to be an upscale, I might pick this up just for the sake of supporting sane price points from Aniplex. $70 for the series on BD is a great deal, let alone $60. It's silly that it has to be across three discs, though; two BD-50s would be more than adequate to hold the entire series plus extras.

Last edited by Pepperidge on Mon Apr 04, 2011 2:59 am; edited 1 time in total
Anime Remix

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 12:36 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Aniplex also indicated that R.O.D -The TV- and Bandai Entertainment titles Ghost Slayers Ayashi and Toward the Terra will be made available on the PSN soon.
Just checked PSN and they are already on there.

Currently you can buy:
Ghost Slayers Ayashi episodes 1 - 8 for $1.99
R.O.D. -The TV- episodes 1 - 10 for $1.99
Toward The Terra episodes 1 - 8 for $1.99

Anyways, I already bought the first Durarara!! episode and need to buy the rest that are available. I also don't know what's with Aniplex releasing the BD version of Baccano! when FUNiamtion already released the DVD version.[/quote]
bglassbrook

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 12:58 am Reply with quote
Pepperidge wrote:
While it's going to be an upscale, I might pick this up just for the sake of releasing sane price points from Aniplex. $70 for the series on BD is a great deal, let alone $60. It's silly that it has to be across three discs, though; two BD-50s would be more than adequate to hold the entire series plus extras.

Maybe at SD resolutions, but upscales or no, more pixels take up more space. Hopefully there will also be some lossless soundtracks to chew up even more room. Price is actually quite a bit steeper than I was hoping for when they inevitably came out, which really causes a concern as to just how limited a quantity they printed, and whether we can safely wait for the market to correct it. (PS - Can't wait until this hits the encylcopedia page, so we can price watch.)
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 1:30 am Reply with quote
Good for them. I may have complained plenty about the KnK release. However, I've never had an inherent problem with Aniplex. In fact, in principle, I like their business model. A nice collector's set at a premium price*. To me, this is a great way to release anime. The Funimation model of high volume low price is okay for people who just want to watch anime for cheap. I generally only encounter a couple shows a year I'd actually like to own though so I don't need a series to cost $20. In fact, I'm happy to pay more for something nicer than a cheap thin-pack because if I am buying a show in the first place, it's something especially good that I want a nice collector's set of. Hopefully this is a sign that they're going to be offering more premium sets in the future, but will bring it down to the realm of reality in terms of price.

*I'd still call this a premium price given that it's a four year old show. For a newer show, somewhere in the $100-$120 range would be fair I think.
Pepperidge

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 3:02 am Reply with quote
bglassbrook wrote:
Pepperidge wrote:
While it's going to be an upscale, I might pick this up just for the sake of releasing sane price points from Aniplex. $70 for the series on BD is a great deal, let alone $60. It's silly that it has to be across three discs, though; two BD-50s would be more than adequate to hold the entire series plus extras.

Maybe at SD resolutions, but upscales or no, more pixels take up more space. Hopefully there will also be some lossless soundtracks to chew up even more room. Price is actually quite a bit steeper than I was hoping for when they inevitably came out, which really causes a concern as to just how limited a quantity they printed, and whether we can safely wait for the market to correct it. (PS - Can't wait until this hits the encylcopedia page, so we can price watch.)

Even with two lossless audio tracks, one BD layer can comfortably hold around 5 anime episodes with no loss in quality. The only reason I can imagine that they'd put the series on more than two discs is to artificially increase the physical value of the product to make customers feel like they're getting their money's worth.
Kalessin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 7:03 am Reply with quote
I think that this is horrible news. Funimation licensed the show. They dubbed it. They should be the ones releasing the Blu-ray. Instead, Aniplex is releasing it at a higher price (the MSRP isn't tons higher, but it is higher, and the fact that it's Aniplex means that it's impossible to get a good deal on it). Not only that, it's a limited release. So, unless you buy it on Blu-ray now, you'll never be able to buy it on Blu-ray (unless they actually let Funimation license it for Blu-ray in the future).

As ridiculous as the situation was with The Garden of Sinners, at least it was a true collectors release, and it hadn't been licensed by another R1 anime company already. From the looks of it, the only thing even vaguely collector-ish about this one is that the box is probably of better quality than is normal these days. And the fact that they're releasing it themselves instead of letting Funimation release it really seems off. I'd be shocked if Funimation didn't want to release this on Blu-ray themselves. And they'd do it at a better price.

I like collector's editions as long as they're really collector's editions and as long as they're not the only edition. Here, it looks like we're going to get a slightly better release than would be normal, but as a result it's the only Blu-ray release, and we have to pay a fair bit more.

I've got to say that it seems just plain wrong that Funimation isn't releasing Baccano on Blu-ray, since they're the ones with the R1 license. It looks like they lose out just because the original contract didn't explicitly mention Blu-ray. Yuck.

I'm glad that Baccano is getting released on Blu-ray, but it's just plain stupid that it's not Funimation that's releasing it.
sepherest

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 7:48 am Reply with quote
I'm glad Toward the Terra's getting put up for downloading (and pretty cheap at that) it was an awesome series that deserves more attention than what it got.

The price for the Baccano set is kind of much, but it is a collector's version BD so I guess it can slide. I already had the first DVD release with the box and singles though (and even then Funimation did another re-release that had more extras anyway. Boo!). Maybe I'll get it sometime, but I don't really know right now.
Jrittmayer

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:44 am Reply with quote
I am completely behind this! I think its a fantastic idea.

All these limited edition collectors edition BD's are amazing. Especially since Funi hasn't made many good collectors sets in a while opting instead for the ugly yet affordable S.A.V.E. line.
reanimator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 8:06 am Reply with quote
I did some comparison between Japanese version and US version. Although it's far cheaper than Japanese counterpart, they seem to exclude other bonus materials except the box. Perhaps Aniplex figured that US fans don't care much about bonus materials in general? Still they're trying balance out price and being collectible, so not having one or two features doesn't affect me much.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1