• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
PR: FUNimation Entertainment Acquires Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Paploo

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 4:08 pm Reply with quote
Wow, looks like we'll be getting some crazy english dubbed super shiny animation Smile Wonder if it'll get a TV broadcast? Either way, should be fun
cohenmarioman

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 4:19 pm Reply with quote
I see this as a terrible move ... sorry for those who feel it isn't. The ONLY way for it to do well is to be an after South Park show (like Tosh.O was)
Rukiia

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 4:37 pm Reply with quote
OMG yes! Yes yes yes!!! Definitely buying it. I hope they will also release it on Blu-ray.

I bleeping love Funimation. 2012 is going to be a good year for buying Anime.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Dagon123

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 4:40 pm Reply with quote
coming in 2012, should put late 2012 FUNimation dont exactly break land speed records with their release schedules, lol Rolling Eyes
SonicRenegade84

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 4:57 pm Reply with quote
Stop complaining about the release date. At least we're getting the show!

If Funimation can put this on Adult Swim, lord knows how many barriers anime could re-break...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
jr240483

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 7:40 pm Reply with quote
SonicRenegade84 wrote:
Stop complaining about the release date. At least we're getting the show!

If Funimation can put this on Adult Swim, lord knows how many barriers anime could re-break...

That there is an understatement and a half.

It would definitely open the doors if it's on AS , along that it don't get a crappy ass timeslot like other series have gotten over the years.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Ryujin99

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 7:57 pm Reply with quote
Great to hear that it got licensed. Thought I must admit that I'm somewhat surprised. After all... even for anime, there sure is a lot of sex, I mean sex jokes, in the series.

Either way, I guess I'll pick it up when it gets released. It's definitely one of the most unique series I've seen in quite a while.

For those that have finished it, spoiler[it also has one of the most "What the F*** just happened?!" endings too.] At least, that's what I thought when I finished it.

On the topic of Adult Swim... it would certainly fit right in with Robot Chicken and ATHF. Maybe if enough people watched it, then it might get more people to reconsider their opinions about animated movies and TV shows.
thefuturemrsuzumaki

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 8:58 pm Reply with quote
Oh my God...this is amazing! I can't wait to get it, and it'd be awesome to have it on AS. X33

Hoping they'll put together a wonderful cast~~
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Dagon123

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:33 pm Reply with quote
Don't want to bust anybodies bubbles but it'll never be on Adult Swim and if it is, it won't get the advertisement it needs to make an impact, this is post 2007 adult swim were talking about people, they give more about the dump they took in the john during lunch then anime now
TitanXL

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 12:13 am Reply with quote
It'd be funny if it aired on Adult Swim considering it's making fun of all the junk that airs on Adult Swim
enurtsol

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 2:48 am Reply with quote
Ya guys wanna know a funny story?
Ya guys wouldn't believe what inspired Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt.
Go ahead, guess. Very Happy

spoiler[ Drawn Together ]

No, really. Don't believe me?

About a month ago, Gainax visited Pixar studio at California.

Quote:

Hiromi Wakabayashi is the twisted mind behind the initial idea for Panty and Stocking. I immediately asked who was responsible for episode 7 the transformers episode. It was him who wrote the script! Hahaha. Someone asked him about the inspiration behind the show. “ A few years ago I along with other Gainax staffers at an american convention were watching the American tv animation “drawn together” and we couldn’t believe they were showing such explicit things on tv….. I thought…why don’t we do that!” Haha. Everyone laughed.

Hiromi also sighted Power Puff Girls and his love for American shows like Glee and Gossip Girl. Hiromi is also a huge fan of American comics!

And there ya go. Laughing

As a bonus, if ya guys wanna know the story about Gurren Lagann:

Quote:

I also got an explanation about the big blow-up during Gurren Lagann production in which Takami Akai stepped down from his position Gainax.

Hiromi explained, “…the fans were upset at the quality of animation, but it was completely intentional on the part of Imaishi (series director). He wanted to parody the common occurance, in many productions of the past, to have huge dips in quality during the course of a shows tv production.” That is a great tidbit to know!

I assumed it had to be intentional, because a studio like Gainax could have easily executed Episode 4 just as the rest.

EDIT: A better way to translate what Wakabayashi was trying to say, instead of describing it as “low production quality“, it makes better sense to say that Imaishi was trying to homage the common occurance of TV animation drawings of the past, to go “off model” from scene to scene and sometimes episode to episode.

This could be taken as a drop in quality at the hands of less talented animators(and would be considered so by a director or animation checker) but is also sometimes tied to the strong individual style of animator's who were more concerned with great movement or action than about maintaining a characters likeness. This makes all the more sense coming from Imaishi as his biggest influence is none other than Yoshinori Kanada, one of the true “individuals” in animation history. Kanada was someone who frequently tossed out “likeness”, drawing off model, in favor of some dynamic movement or action.

Doujin with animation cuts from [Sushio's] Gurren Lagann Parallel Works short film “Kittan Zero”! Killer!

Later when we were all hanging out I asked Otsuka-san if there would be another season of Gurren Lagann and sadly he said “..I think it is done.”
Rukiia

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 5:07 am Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
Ya guys wanna know a funny story?
Ya guys wouldn't believe what inspired Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt.
Go ahead, guess. Very Happy

spoiler[ Drawn Together ]

No, really. Don't believe me?

About a month ago, Gainax visited Pixar studio at California.

Quote:

Hiromi Wakabayashi is the twisted mind behind the initial idea for Panty and Stocking. I immediately asked who was responsible for episode 7 the transformers episode. It was him who wrote the script! Hahaha. Someone asked him about the inspiration behind the show. “ A few years ago I along with other Gainax staffers at an american convention were watching the American tv animation “drawn together” and we couldn’t believe they were showing such explicit things on tv….. I thought…why don’t we do that!” Haha. Everyone laughed.

Hiromi also sighted Power Puff Girls and his love for American shows like Glee and Gossip Girl. Hiromi is also a huge fan of American comics!

And there ya go. Laughing

As a bonus, if ya guys wanna know the story about Gurren Lagann:

Quote:

I also got an explanation about the big blow-up during Gurren Lagann production in which Takami Akai stepped down from his position Gainax.

Hiromi explained, “…the fans were upset at the quality of animation, but it was completely intentional on the part of Imaishi (series director). He wanted to parody the common occurance, in many productions of the past, to have huge dips in quality during the course of a shows tv production.” That is a great tidbit to know!

I assumed it had to be intentional, because a studio like Gainax could have easily executed Episode 4 just as the rest.

EDIT: A better way to translate what Wakabayashi was trying to say, instead of describing it as “low production quality“, it makes better sense to say that Imaishi was trying to homage the common occurance of TV animation drawings of the past, to go “off model” from scene to scene and sometimes episode to episode.

This could be taken as a drop in quality at the hands of less talented animators(and would be considered so by a director or animation checker) but is also sometimes tied to the strong individual style of animator's who were more concerned with great movement or action than about maintaining a characters likeness. This makes all the more sense coming from Imaishi as his biggest influence is none other than Yoshinori Kanada, one of the true “individuals” in animation history. Kanada was someone who frequently tossed out “likeness”, drawing off model, in favor of some dynamic movement or action.

Doujin with animation cuts from [Sushio's] Gurren Lagann Parallel Works short film “Kittan Zero”! Killer!

Later when we were all hanging out I asked Otsuka-san if there would be another season of Gurren Lagann and sadly he said “..I think it is done.”

Didn't you already post this in another thread? >.>
asiandramanerd

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 9:08 pm Reply with quote
I was somewhat surprised when I heard FUNimation had licensed this show. It's one of my favorites, right up there with Soul Eater, Ouran HSHC, (and etc of almost all of those fan-crazed shows) Becuase they've worked on shows that contain nudity and foul mouths (such as RIN: D.o.M.) I wasn't at all surprised that a different company got it (like Viz Media or... what else is there? =_=)

But the casting I am worried about. FUNimation doesn't always choose the best actors or directors for shows. Or if they do, the director was okay on how the voices should have been done (like in Black Butler, I was dissapointed to hear Sebbys voice. My dream cast (for the main parts) were mostly fulfilled, but I think the director could've made Sebby's voice more playful and dark. He sounds like a sophisticated Brit in stead of a sexy demon butler in my opinion. Anyways, back to P&S)

I'm sooo glad that FUNimation licensed it, but I hope they don't screw it up. I can picture the cast going as:

Panty- Jamie Marchi (sp?)
Stocking- maybe Brina Palencia, Monica Rial, or Trina Nishimura (Stocking's a hard girl to put a voice with in my opinion)
Breif- Todd Haberkorn
Garterbelt- Michael Tatum or Travis Willingham
Scanty- Alexis (?)
Kneesocks- Collen (?)

I'm not sure on Kneesocks and Scanty :/ they seem kind of hard to put a voice to
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 11:19 pm Reply with quote
Stocking is so Monica Rial. It will be like a crime if not.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 5:03 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Stocking is so Monica Rial. It will be like a crime if not.

I don't know. I'd be more in favor of Cherami Leigh for one reason: Carrie Savage as Penny from Shin Chan. That super cute voice saying those evil, evil things was one of the most hilarious things I've ever heard, and I think a Cherami x Stockings could have a very similar effect. Now, of course, I think Cherami's voice is cuter than Monica's (mostly because it's natural), so that's another reason for her. Monica's "sly voice" is perfect for one of the Demon Sister's, though; I'm thinking Scanty.

Quote:
Panty- Jamie Marchi

Please, don't ever ask for Jamie Marchi to have a lead role, especially one that either Brina or Luci should have.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1