• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - Encounter with the Mythical Surathkolb

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kawaiibunny3

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 4:05 pm Reply with quote
um...I think the one playing now is the one from last week...hearing Tim talk about the royal wedding again.

edit-never mind :3 all fixed! thanks

*sits and listens*
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 4:39 pm Reply with quote
they already know where Steins;Gate is going. The story is based on a game and there is a manga.
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 4:59 pm Reply with quote
By "frank discussion" do you mean "bashing the show without even watching one episode or readin one chapter"? Cause that's what I expect, really.
Dr. Osaka

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 5:47 pm Reply with quote
Riyoko isn't crazy, just misunderstood.

Last edited by Dr. Osaka on Thu Apr 14, 2011 5:59 pm; edited 2 times in total
Paploo

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 5:48 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, don't know how up I am for CatShitOne either. Being CGI might make it too realistic.
Great that you have Daryl and the AWO on again. His appearances are always entertaining.

btw Zac- re: Ponies- I think it's mostly the fact that Lauren Faust is helming the show- she's well known for her design work on shows like Foster's Home for Imaginary Firends. If anyonelse was helming it, it'd probably be pretty awful- we lucked out. As such the show is pretty cute/well made, though yeah, the whole internet sensation thing is confuddling.

I suppose it's like Avatar or Transformers Animated where people are like "Wait, what? A non-anime cartoon that's good? Wow!". Only with Ponies.

Last edited by Paploo on Thu Apr 14, 2011 7:35 pm; edited 3 times in total
egoist

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 6:14 pm Reply with quote
Dr. Osaka wrote:
Riyoko isn't crazy, just misunderstood.

And does that not apply to just about every maniac out there? Laughing
adam_omega

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 6:15 pm Reply with quote
So, I take it that Seven Seas shouldn't try to license the Astarotte's Toy manga?
Paploo

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 7:05 pm Reply with quote
Daryl-- I remind you yet again of my super awesome Rose of Versailles boxsets. Though the 2nd boxset seems to have gone OOP. It is indeed super awesome though, with it's crazy Dezaki stylings, shojo manga melodrama and craziness.

A dvd edition of DYRL would be quite awesome, but guessing any and all Macross is doomed.

re: Patlabor- rewatched the TV series recently,and it's quite fun as well. Though yeah, the first movie is a good spot to start.
Animehermit

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 7:32 pm Reply with quote
WoW both Daryl and Gerald's panels sound really interesting. I really wish i could go this year, i only went to one anime con in 06 when i was 16 and it was Anime Boston (didn't get to go to many panels then).
neocloud9

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 7:32 pm Reply with quote
The new My Little Pony show is genuinely awesome. I love it! (And yes, Pinkie Pie rocks.)
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 7:35 pm Reply with quote
adam_omega wrote:
So, I take it that Seven Seas shouldn't try to license the Astarotte's Toy manga?

doesn't follow on the premises but no it should stay in japan it really should, they already tried kodomo no jikan and we all now how that turned out >_>... that aside nice pod cast guys keep up the good work.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 7:38 pm Reply with quote
Zac, I'd say just check out episode 2 of SKET Dance, even if you're not going to follow the show. Episode 2 is very different from the first episode and has more of the crazy comedy stylings of Gintama, just without the continual references to pop culture that Gintama is famous for (which makes sense, as the creator of SKET Dance was originally an assistant to Gintama's creator). At the very least episode 2 should give you a better feel of what the show looks to be more along the lines of than episode 1.

A Sane Fan's Guide to Mecha Anime? That's actually a very novel idea, Gerald. Here's hoping that it works well for you. The Directors Who Aren't Miyazaki panel idea is also very novel; directors were something I did try to pay attention to, but I think the moment I saw the most obvious reason to pay attention to directors more is when you have different people directing different seasons of the same show or series.

For example, I watched Season 1 of Ring ni Kakero 1 and loved the action in it, even with the average-quality animation. Then came Season 2, which had better animation but the fights themselves weren't quite as good as before (they were still really good, though). When I looked at the staff list for Season 2 I saw that it had a different director and it all made sense. Then came Season 3, which brought back Season 1's director, and the fights were as good as Season 1's, and at time they were even better due to the even-better animation; but it did just re-assert that the director can make all the difference. It really showed that directors are important, since they all have their own styles and the result is very different executions.

Remakes? I still want to see Ashita no Joe get an anime remake. It just got a live-action movie recently, but I still want a new anime adaptation. Such a great story and such a great main character... It truly deserves a new version.

As for Discotek licenses, I'd love to see them tackle Saint Seiya TV in the same fashion of Fist of the North Star TV and maybe even get to the movies. Considering how the only way to watch Saint Seiya past episode 60 with English subs is through badly-done bootleg subs I think it could be worth releasing the rest of the show, especially if they can do so at a good price, again ala Fist TV. Also, I'd love to see them do more newer anime based on older properties, like when they released Lupin the 3rd: Episode 0 First Contact. Stuff like Re: Cutie Honey, Ring ni Kakero 1, the Saint Seiya Hades OVAs and even the Tenkai-hen movie (naturally, they would have to do the TV first), or even just more Lupin specials (I'd love to see Green vs. Red) would be cool as hell to see released as it's always cool to see older stuff get new leases on life.

Another great episode with Daryl & Gerald, as usual.
underlock

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 7:51 pm Reply with quote
I thought episode 2 of Sket Dance was weaker, but that could be just me. Once it lost the characters' flavor (guy speaking through laptop, violent woman, and, uhm, focused [at times] leader) it became mediocre. So far I could list 4-5 better shows from this season (personal opinion aside); Tiger £ Habbit, Steins:Gate, Girl goes to obasan's inn, Azazel-san, and Ordinary life (possibly add Kaiji 2 and Enma-kun to that). Of course, ignoring Gintama', Blue Exorcist, Deadman Wonderland, and Shaft's loli. Oh, crap, just make it 10th best so I don't have to keep editing my reply as my memory pops up.
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 8:03 pm Reply with quote
Regarding Steins;Gate, one encouraging sign is that this series is not an original series, it's one based on a visual novel, and every single comment I've heard from those familiar with it have praised the later parts of the game, especially it's ending.

So assuming the anime manages to be a half competent adaption, it shouldn't fall apart as it goes on, it should in fact come together nicely. That's assuming I can trust said comments on the VN.
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 8:06 pm Reply with quote
Mad_Scientist wrote:
Regarding Steins;Gate, one encouraging sign is that this series is not an original series, it's one based on a visual novel, and every single comment I've heard from those familiar with it have praised the later parts of the game, especially it's ending.

So assuming the anime manages to be a half competent adaption, it shouldn't fall apart as it goes on, it should in fact come together nicely. That's assuming I can trust said comments on the VN.

well the higurashi vn anime adaption did it well and since it's around the same as many episodes as the 1st season, so I think it can be pulled off successfully.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4