• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - The 2.22nd Coming

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Faiga_Raisa

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 2:04 pm Reply with quote
@Julian, whoa bro, I'm impressed. You're the type of fan that makes us proud.
Oh how I hate those teenyboopers at cons who boast about their collections when they've never had a job in their life. >_>

And...is that a AZZA Solano 1000 computer tower I see? Y/Y?
Lol, I have the same. Except I had to remount the side fan externally because the Cooler Master V8 I installed was too damn big.
Goodness, it's so rare to see people with towers anymore. Laptops just don't cut it for me.
maaya

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 2:15 pm Reply with quote
I don't think Mari is supposed to be American (at least it wasn't stated in the movie, she only happens to be in the US). Apparently on the leaflet of the japanese DVD/BD it says that she is from Britain. And character designer Sadamoto said he designed her to "look british". Probably another mixed one, since she has a Japanese name as well.

Asuka is the American one (+ german + japanese) Very Happy

Quote:
Much to my delight, the already wonderful soundtrack is augmented with a generous number of musical pieces from His and Her Circumstances, which is another of my favorite anime series of all time. The Kare Kano pieces used in this film all seem to fit perfectly.

Huh? Which pieces do you mean?
SaiyanHero16

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 2:47 pm Reply with quote
You've got so many awesome posters, man. You've got some great titles in their. You can be proud of that collection, that's for sure.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ArthurFrDent

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 2:57 pm Reply with quote
"I don't think Mari is supposed to be American (at least it wasn't stated in the movie, she only happens to be in the US). Apparently on the leaflet of the japanese DVD/BD it says that she is from Britain." maaya...

Indeed, this is in the booklet... perhaps she sounds American in the dub? or or more American.
also, seemed like the base was in the Arctic, not necessarily in the US...

but, those are minor quibbles... I don't think so much that Mari is there for fan-service, but to be a competing agenda from someone else... I anticipate that we will find out a great deal more about her in the next one...
Racheldoublemm

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 3:52 pm Reply with quote
I'm actually a tid bit surprised that Vampire Knight didn't end up as perishable. >.>
I've not enjoyed the series since its appearance in Shoujo Beat.
You were much more fair than I would have been.

Oh Julian...how I hate you.
That is an amazing collection and POKEMON VHS TAPES.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 3:54 pm Reply with quote
I would have been tempted to title this Shelf Life "Catch 2.22" but hey, that's just me.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 4:01 pm Reply with quote
Clearly they created Mari for a reason. If you ever look up "Book of the Lord" which was mentioned at the end of the first movie as "Book of Lord" than it's heavily implied that Mari will be one of Shinji's 5 spouses along side Rei, Asuka, Misato, and Kaworu.

Last edited by Charred Knight on Mon Apr 18, 2011 4:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
MaxSouth

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 4:01 pm Reply with quote
Racheldoublemm wrote:
I'm actually a tid bit surprised that Vampire Knight didn't end up as perishable. >.>
I've not enjoyed the series since its appearance in Shoujo Beat.
You were much more fair than I would have been.

No, the reviewer was much more kind rather than fair.

This show, among more than 300 anime titles I watched, has possibly the most stupid heroine. What was even worse, is that in the show she has tried to "self-analyse" herself, which was another level of pain to watch besides her regular cretinism.

She was not portrayed as cutely as being "just a bit silly"; no, she was presented as seriously idiotic person. For many viewers, this aspect of the show ruined show's chances to be perceived as "believable", basically depriving it's story and heroes of actual empathy.
Jrittmayer

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 4:03 pm Reply with quote
Faiga_Raisa wrote:
@Julian, whoa bro, I'm impressed. You're the type of fan that makes us proud.
Oh how I hate those teenyboopers at cons who boast about their collections when they've never had a job in their life. >_>

Thanks! My parents never really approved of me amassing so much anime related "crap" so I decided to fund my own hobbies. Plus thanks to online shopping alot of stuff is very affordable.

Faiga_Raisa wrote:
And...is that a AZZA Solano 1000 computer tower I see? Y/Y?
Lol, I have the same. Except I had to remount the side fan externally because the Cooler Master V8 I installed was too damn big.
Goodness, it's so rare to see people with towers anymore. Laptops just don't cut it for me.

Yeah standard laptops just don't have enough power to do what I want (graphic intense gaming and 1080p video playback and editing), I built it myself, I fancy myself a bit of tech nut. In addition to the six fans its also got a liquid cooling system. I need the extra cooling because my graphics cards runs quite hot, especially when playing games like Crysis. Only has 6gb of RAM but 3.5TB of HDD space and a quad core processor. Running Windows 7. Razz

Plus, who doesn't like a nice big glowy box full with all sorts of electrical goodies Very Happy

Racheldoublemm wrote:
Oh Julian...how I hate you.
That is an amazing collection and POKEMON VHS TAPES.

Thats actually the only part of my collection that I haven't bought in the last 4-5 years. Loved Pokemon as a kid and kept a couple for nostalgia purposes. Wish I had the DVD's though, seeing as some of them are worth a few hundred dollars now. Smile
Melanchthon

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 5:23 pm Reply with quote
Mr. Justin,
You sir, are a scholar and a gentleman, and I salute you in respect.

Personally, I think that Ms. Finnegan was far too soft on Vampire Knight. While vampires are moody and melodramatic by nature, Vampire Knight took it to extreme levels. Basically, it was moeblob for the ladies, with added romantic angst and over-the-top sexualization. Vampire Knight is the equivalent of a trashy dime-store romance novel -- while it might be a guilty pleasure for some, it wouldn't exactly be something you'd recommend to others.

/And don't get yourself down, Ms. Finnegan, you are nothing like Armond White. You're just too kind and polite about things while he's just a epic-level troll. Unless your kind and polite ways are just a trick to better troll with...
penguintruth

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 5:34 pm Reply with quote
I'd like to think Mari will have some actual purpose in the next film, aside from action figure.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
zawa113

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 6:23 pm Reply with quote
Pokemon VHS tapes!! The nostalgia! It's overwhelming!
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 6:29 pm Reply with quote
MaxSouth wrote:

This show, among more than 300 anime titles I watched, has possibly the most stupid heroine. What was even worse, is that in the show she has tried to "self-analyse" herself, which was another level of pain to watch besides her regular cretinism.

She was not portrayed as cutely as being "just a bit silly"; no, she was presented as seriously idiotic person. For many viewers, this aspect of the show ruined show's chances to be perceived as "believable", basically depriving it's story and heroes of actual empathy.

I find with Yuki that things make more sense if you think of her as being mentally/emotionally ten years old, rather than 15, because really, she pretty much is. As we see, after the event when she lost her memory, she has to relearn how to do just about everything.

That said, I can understand why people have issues with her and she's definitely not my favourite heroine to say the least. But there is more than meets the eye with her and I think it's a bit unfair to dismiss her completely as just stupid.
erinfinnegan
ANN Columnist

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 6:43 pm Reply with quote
maaya wrote:
I don't think Mari is supposed to be American (at least it wasn't stated in the movie, she only happens to be in the US). Apparently on the leaflet of the japanese DVD/BD it says that she is from Britain. And character designer Sadamoto said he designed her to "look british". Probably another mixed one, since she has a Japanese name as well.

Aww.. Booklet?! I didn't get a booklet. I think you're right though, she is British.

Charred Knight wrote:
Clearly they created Mari for a reason. If you ever look up "Book of the Lord" which was mentioned at the end of the first movie as "Book of Lord" than it's heavily implied that Mari will be one of Shinji's 5 spouses along side Rei, Asuka, Misato, and Kaworu.

Wait... what? Yikes. Ewww.... I can't unread that.
rinmackie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 6:57 pm Reply with quote
Don't bother, Marie. i think we're part of a small handful that likes Vampire Knight. I could tell from the review that Erin was doing or at least thinking of other things while she watched the show; it was so painfully half-hearted. But when it's obvious a reviewer doesn't like a certain genre there's no point in really reading it. But that's ok, I know it's pointless to expect anything else. But I think Erin's going to find Guilty a bit confusing though since she didn't really pay attention to what went on in the first season.

Course, the ending won't be much of a surprise (well, except maybe for one thing), Yuuki ends up with "that guy". (Fans know which one but I won't spoil it.) But that's because I think the anime might be a love letter for the fans of that relationship. Those who continue following the manga know that their relationship isn't exactly "happily ever after."
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5