• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Pixar's Cars 2 Uses J-Pop's Perfume Song Worldwide

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Paploo

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 7:34 pm Reply with quote
They also popped up in an episode of American Dad as trendy japanese funk music from the future. Nice to see them pop up in Cars Smile
ZipZapZopTitania

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 7:52 pm Reply with quote
I APPROVE. Mater + Pixar + jpop + featured on ANN = tickets already as good as mine. Or...my whole family, really.

And John Lasseter is an anime fanboy? This is almost as good as when Leo DiCaprio announced it! Anime hyper
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 8:21 pm Reply with quote
ZipZapZopTitania wrote:

And John Lasseter is an anime fanboy? This is almost as good as when Leo DiCaprio announced it! Anime hyper

Well, Studio Ghibli at least. But he's an animator, so of course he's heard of it.
Lightning Leo

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 8:35 pm Reply with quote
John Lasseter played a big role in the release of Spirited Away. In the Special Edition release of Kiki's Delivery Service, he actually opens the video with a short introduction gushing his affection for Ghibli films. He's known for citing Miyazaki as his favorite animated film director, and from what I've heard they're pretty close friends.
spoony

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 8:45 pm Reply with quote
Lightning Leo wrote:
John Lasseter played a big role in the release of Spirited Away. In the Special Edition release of Kiki's Delivery Service, he actually opens the video with a short introduction gushing his affection for Ghibli films. He's known for citing Miyazaki as his favorite animated film director, and from what I've heard they're pretty close friends.

Not just Spirited Away: person#7373

I think he's the main reason Ponyo got such a big release in the U.S.
Siegel Clyne

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 9:02 pm Reply with quote
Ah, A~chan (Ayaka Nishiwaki), Nocchi (Ayano Oomoto), and Kashiyuka (Yuka Kashino)...

The three women from Hiroshima who make up Perfume...

So, Japan's most popular electropop/technopop act will be heard in an upcoming Disney/Pixar theatrical animated feature worldwide.

Good work, girls!

On the music forum of another anime website back in 2009, I mentioned Perfume a number of times on a "What song does get stuck in your head" thread and posted links to YouTube videos featuring them and their music.

A number of Perfume songs have interesting sounding titles, such as "Chocolate Disco," "One Room Disco," "Sweet Donuts," "Baby Cruising Love," "Macaroni," "Night Flight," "Fan Service (Sweet)," "Electro World," "Computer City," "Voice," "Ne," and "Dream Fighter."

Yasutaka Nakata, Perfume's producer since 2003, has been instrumental in shaping their current catchy cute girl electropop sound and and bringing them mainstream popularity in Japan.

By the way, according to Wikipedia, Nakata and Japanese seiyuu/voice actress Mamiko Noto, both Kanazawa natives, are childhood friends.
Animerican14

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 9:09 pm Reply with quote
From all that I've seen of John Lasseter, he really seems like the Friendliest Director on Earth... certainly can't think of any warmer directing personalities than him, anyway. He's also quite the family man, as I recall... as shown in a special feature of the Cars dvd, he took his family on a road trip from coast to coast in his mobile home along Route 66 (and beyond, probably).

Man, that's a cool (cute?) little thing to do to feature a J-Pop song in such a mainstream American release, on top of the whole part-of-Cars-2-being-set-in-Japan-thing. (still won't beat the Totoro stuffed toy in Toy Story 3, though!) Yet admittedly, it's all just icing on the cake that is the Pixar-Japan relationship, whether it's been Lasseter's relationship and investment in Miyazaki's films or, as enurtsol pointed out some weeks ago, that time when Gainax visited Pixar. Very Happy Hope anime fanboyism never leaves Pixar...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
RestLessone

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 9:35 pm Reply with quote
Aw, this is just making the film even more awesome!

I really admire Lasseter and, well, all of Pixar. I could go on and on about what makes them great, but it'd take to long.
prime_pm

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 9:36 pm Reply with quote
For those who have yet to look at my avatar, I am, in fact, looking forward to seeing this film.
YoSoyJaponesa

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 10:06 pm Reply with quote
Cool!
Now if I could just find that J-pop/techno song from that Mater short I'd be set for life. LOL. ^^
The Nerd Wonder

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 10:32 pm Reply with quote
The short is Tokyo Mater. The ending song can be found here on YouTube
cyberbeing

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 10:41 pm Reply with quote
I remember this song. I was first introduced to it when Danny Choo reviewed the Rolly back in 2008 (See the first youtube video he found):
http://www.dannychoo.com/post/en/1334/Rolly.html

Makes me wonder if the Pixar guys are going to do a parody of that Rolly dance in Cars 2. Probably not, but it'd be funny if they did.
Chowing

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 10:49 pm Reply with quote
Honestly, I hated Cars, but I will definitely look out for this scene when I watch Cars 2....

I hope this will get them recognized more internationally... It's my dream to see them live !!
YoSoyJaponesa

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 12:49 am Reply with quote
The Nerd Wonder wrote:
The short is Tokyo Mater. The ending song can be found here on YouTube

Thanks! I was wondering where I could find it! Appreciate it.
Bell02

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 2:15 am Reply with quote
Hilarious!.. but I thought they'd use a new, or at least newer song.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2