• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Astarotte's Toy episodes 1-6

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nagatoka_Morito

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 11:08 pm Reply with quote
Spot-on review, Theron. I went into this show with the exact expectations you note, and came out of episode 2 with the notion that Rotte could be the kind of charming, heartwarming comedy that I've been sitting through so many failed attempts to find as of late.

There's definitely some ecchi elements left over from the original author's previous works, but as long as they're kept for a quick gag and not really expanded upon, I'm happy enough.
Otaking09

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 11:24 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
except possibly Madoka

No... not you too Key!!!

Still, I'll have to watch Asobi first to completely get what Astarotte's quality stands for.
Still... I'm getting burnt out on Rie. It's rivaling my climbing distaste of Yui Horie, but I blame the industry more than the actors so I guess there's that.
jeroz

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 2:30 am Reply with quote
So happy to see a review that actually focuses on the true positive sides than to mindlessly bashing it being a lolicon series.

It caught me by complete surprise as well as I didn't expect to be more than the usual fanservice loli anime.......well it can still be classified as that, but with a lot more substances.

I got to say though, this show probably has the worst synopsis/opening episode that puts off a lot of people from even giving it a try.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 2:58 am Reply with quote
Ironically, I dropped it because there was no semen drinking to be found after I was promised it by the synopsis. Wink
asimpson2006

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 6:07 am Reply with quote
I have not seen episode 6 yet, but I do agree with the review. Now it is not going to be the best of season by a long shot, but if it continues out to be good I think it could be a top 10 show of the season.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Cosplaybunny

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 2:55 pm Reply with quote
After reading this review, I decided to give it a shot. Normally I don't touch loli shows with a ten foot pole, but this one has left me pleasantly surprised. While I still get weirded out by some of the fan service, it's easy enough to ignore. I just hope it stays this way.
ConanSan

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 4:00 pm Reply with quote
So is it better than the manga was at not depicting young females in bugger all clothing?
hunterLanda

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 8:02 pm Reply with quote
I dropped it because I prefer to see a lolicon hentai version.
Smile
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 9:57 pm Reply with quote
I like this show far less than Theron does - I find it pretty relentlessly mediocre, but with juuuuuust enough of ... something ... to keep me from dropping it. However, what I like about the review is that it once again demonstrates that Theron is always prepared to put aside his preconceptions if what he sees onscreen warrants it. It is one of the qualities that makes him my favourite ANN reviewer.
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 10:10 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
I like this show far less than Theron does - I find it pretty relentlessly mediocre, but with juuuuuust enough of ... something ... to keep me from dropping it. However, what I like about the review is that it once again demonstrates that Theron is always prepared to put aside his preconceptions if what he sees onscreen warrants it. It is one of the qualities that makes him my favourite ANN reviewer.
And then there's those of us that feel there never should have been any such preconceptions in the first place. Actually I think Key falls under this category too, but it's obvious there are many of us who don't. Reading a book by it's cover seems all too much the norm.

Anyway, I don't want to stir up that can of worms again. Thanks for the review Key, although a rating I would have given it might be more reflective of one of the top shows this season.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 10:27 pm Reply with quote
Aside from the background art there seem to be a lot of glossing over background details that I find a little annoying. For example the gate between worlds seems very selective when it doesn't want to open. If only the princess or her mother can open it (and they seemed to be not aware of this fact up through Ep 6) then how did Naoya casually go back to fetch Asura? Or for that matter how did they send those spirit servants to take care of Naoya's apartment? How did Lotte find the place and get installed there? how did Judit know how to pay Naoya in "human money" (i.e. yen)?

It kind of goes on and on that way, but it doesn't matter.

The racy innuendo bits don't bother me, even when ambiguously attached to a 10 year old character. The story makes pretty clear early on that the harem isn't intended to provide sexual services for Astarotte and that they were just messing with you to start out, Regardless, I'll pass on an H version.
TheSwedishElf

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 2:55 am Reply with quote
Sorry, but after watching several episodes of it, I still find it incredibly disturbing, especially with its shallow attempts at fanservice that make it VERY clear who the intended audience is. But I think even some hardcore loli fanatics might have trouble enjoying this one.

Not to mention the designs are inconsistant with each other, the animation is subpar and sloppy, and the dialogue seems like mostly yelling.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 6:12 am Reply with quote
Past wrote:
Blood- wrote:
And then there's those of us that feel there never should have been any such preconceptions in the first place. Actually I think Key falls under this category too, but it's obvious there are many of us who don't. Reading a book by it's cover seems all too much the norm.

Anyway, I don't want to stir up that can of worms again.
Thanks for the review Key, although a rating I would have given it might be more reflective of one of the top shows this season.

Yeah, because God knows creating a world where 10-year-old succubi need to guzzle jizz shouldn't lead to ANY preconceptions, right? Oh and here's a little advice: if you truly don't want to "stir up" a can of worms, don't make statements that are automatically and inevitably going to "stir up" the can of worms you claim you want to avoid ... unless you don't mind being seen as a raging hypocrite or mental defective.
Key

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 8:32 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Yeah, because God knows creating a world where 10-year-old succubi need to guzzle jizz shouldn't lead to ANY preconceptions, right? Oh and here's a little advice: if you truly don't want to "stir up" a can of worms, don't make statements that are automatically and inevitably going to "stir up" the can of worms you claim you want to avoid ... unless you don't mind being seen as a raging hypocrite or mental defective.

Down, boy. Down!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
njprogfan
Collector Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 8:47 am Reply with quote
Won't win points for style, or originality but for sweetness it's hands down a winner, (pajammas not withstanding Shocked ).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6