• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Section23, Maiden Japan Add Glass Maiden Mystery Anime

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pantsmca

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 8:56 am Reply with quote
Why am I just learning about this anime? It sounds positively awesome!
NJ_

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 9:02 am Reply with quote
This was known for a while since it was revealed 2 weeks ago that it would air on Anime Network this summer.

http://www.mania.com/aodvb/showthread.php?t=107670
Big Hed

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 9:09 am Reply with quote
What.

That must've been a tack-on.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 9:11 am Reply with quote
pantsmca wrote:

It's really not. The description is quite misleading.
agila61

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 9:40 am Reply with quote
pantsmca wrote:
Don't spend enough time looking through Crunchy's back catalog, maybe?

I finished it, but I only had it on my favorites to make it easy to find on the roku player ~ it went off again as soon as I finished it.

& ikillchicken is mostly right ~ the reason you haven't heard of it is because its not something you'd go on about after you've finished it.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 9:58 am Reply with quote
Crystal Blaze (my preferred title for Glass Maiden) was one of those weird titles for me in that I enjoyed it far more than it deserved. Couldn't even really tell you why - it just clicked with me. I'm happy to see it get a release. It joins the ever-expanding list of titles I'll be getting from Sentai ... some day.

I'm curious about Maiden Japan - anybody know if this is a Japanese company or is it part of Sentai? Any details would be appreciated.
_V_

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 10:12 am Reply with quote
This article is incorrect: "Maiden Japan" isn't "new" or anything.

They're Section 23's (spiritual) successor to the old Soft Cel Pictures/Happy Carrot line. That is, like "Kitty Media", they're the alternate label that they license hentai stuff under.

However, they only ever released one title so far with it: Papillon Rose. This was over a year ago, but at the time, there was indeed some discussion over at AnimeOnDVD where they had to spell out that Maiden Japan is legally a separate company, etc.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A.D._Vision#Soft_Cel_Pictures

So its not "new" at all, its apparently their hentai label. What's surprising is that this "Glass Maiden" show, while apparently featuring violence and nudity....isn't particularly an exploitation series.
Asrialys

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 10:18 am Reply with quote
_V_ wrote:
This article is incorrect: "Maiden Japan" isn't "new" or anything.

They're Section 23's (spiritual) successor to the old Soft Cel Pictures/Happy Carrot line. That is, like "Kitty Media", they're the alternate label that they license hentai stuff under.

However, they only ever released one title so far with it: Papillon Rose. This was over a year ago, but at the time, there was indeed some discussion over at AnimeOnDVD where they had to spell out that Maiden Japan is legally a separate company, etc.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A.D._Vision#Soft_Cel_Pictures

So its not "new" at all, its apparently their hentai label. What's surprising is that this "Glass Maiden" show, while apparently featuring violence and nudity....isn't particularly an exploitation series.

Erm...remember that Section23 and all that are formally treated as new companies. So yes, "new" would be the correct term, regardless of actual history.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 10:20 am Reply with quote
Ah, thanks for the background info _V_. Yeah, Crystal Blaze is no where close to hentai or even ecchi, really. I wonder why Sentai feels the need to release this title under that line. "Maiden Japan" sounds a bit misleading because it kind of seems like a line that would release shojo titles or something.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 10:29 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Crystal Blaze (my preferred title for Glass Maiden) was one of those weird titles for me in that I enjoyed it far more than it deserved. Couldn't even really tell you why - it just clicked with me. I'm happy to see it get a release. It joins the ever-expanding list of titles I'll be getting from Sentai ... some day.

I'm curious about Maiden Japan - anybody know if this is a Japanese company or is it part of Sentai? Any details would be appreciated.

Maiden Japan is the division of Switchblade that releases animated series. Their first release was Papillon Rose. This will be their second release.

So they are somewhat part of the greater Section 23 umbrella, but legally are separate. I never expected to see anything else from Maiden Japan since Switchblade has seemed to have stopped releasing titles, and it's final solicitations from April of last year never made it to market.

Like others said, this was accidentally revealed by Anime Network two weeks ago, though it wasn't confirmed for DVD release.
jmfsilenthill

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 11:19 am Reply with quote
Sounds interesting, might look into it someday. Strange why this is being released under the Maiden Japan line though.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 12:56 pm Reply with quote
jmfsilenthill wrote:
Sounds interesting, might look into it someday. Strange why this is being released under the Maiden Japan line though.

Switchblade Pictures and Maiden Japan have often been referred to as "someone else's baby". They actually have different people managing them behind the scenes than Sentai and Section 23, even though they still use S23 as a dsitributor. They still negotiate their contracts and licenses separately, so they are apparently the ones that acquired this one (and a few more judging by the PR.)

Matt Greenfield is usually listed as the Executive Producer on most Switchblade releases, as opposed to Sentai releases that list John Ledford.
mudduck454

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 3:48 pm Reply with quote
well I will pass on this release, but if they want to license something that I will buy, then they need to license Hanasakeru Seishonen, it's kinda like a thriller, but more of a reverse harem/drama, I just love kajika Twisted Evil
wandering-dreamer

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 4:35 pm Reply with quote
Well, the article made this sound interesting but the description on CR's website makes the show sound rather average actually, guess I'll pass on it unless I find some amazing reviews for it.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 4:38 pm Reply with quote
Crystal Blaze was pretty much a complete mess. I can only imagine this being one of those titles where the license is so cheap that they figure it only needs to sell a small amount to make a profit.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2