• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: New U.S. Speed Racer Comic Announced

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 2:30 am Reply with quote
You mention the crappy live-action film, yet fail to mention The New Adventures of Speed Racer, Speed Racer X, and Speed Racer: the Next Generation. An editorial oversight?
E-Master

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 3:06 am Reply with quote
I liked the live action version a lot.

It was just "Speed Racer: Next Generation" that was bad. Despite it being a sequal to the anime, the characters and universe don't feel like it was part of the original.

For this comic I hope they know what they're doing. They could either make something that is as good as the anime was, or it could end up the same mistake as the Next Generation sequal.
torinostu351

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:19 am Reply with quote
As a fan from the 70's, I thought the movie was great and I enjoyed the 90's comic adaptation, but I don't know what the motivation for this is. I figured the movie had pretty much killed any marketing potential for the franchise. Regardless, I'll keep an eye on this.
E-Master

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 5:04 am Reply with quote
There's a lot of things that haven't been experimented on any Speed Racer sequals or spin offs. i could make a list of them, but that would be boring. But there are a lot of possibilities for making a Speed Racer related story, more character development or alternate realities.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 1:12 pm Reply with quote
I don't get why America still cares about Macho Go Go... probably the same reason they still care about GoLion I guess.
bravetailor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 1:38 pm Reply with quote
The live action movie was formally daring in a number of ways. I'm lukewarm about the final product, but I do admire the risks it took from a narrative and technical standpoint.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1