• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Toei Animaton: Overseas Licensing Income Jumps 66%

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Primus

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 11:31 pm Reply with quote
No Dragon Ball. Sad

No Toriko. Twisted Evil
JDuks

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 11:41 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Toei Animation reported earlier this month that its operating income from overseas copyright licensing is increasing 66% or about 500 million yen (about US$6 million) during the fiscal year ending in March of 2012,
Araki

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 12:11 am Reply with quote
Primus wrote:
No Dragon Ball. Sad

No Toriko. Twisted Evil

Of course they were not mentioned. Toriko is just too recent to count, and Dragonball is Toei's eternal cash cow, especially from overseas. The report highlighted new releases or franchises that are rising in popularity.
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 12:14 am Reply with quote
And that number would be higher if Toei stops being jerks and releases a Region 1 Bayside Shakedown, among other things.
kgw

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 4:52 am Reply with quote
Sunday Silence wrote:
And that number would be higher if Toei stops being jerks and releases a Region 1 Bayside Shakedown, among other things.

I am sure. Lord knows overseas' broadcasters -at least European ones- are always keen for real-action TV series.
configspace

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 7:30 am Reply with quote
Referring to his involvement in his studio Ordet animating Black Rock Shooter last year, Yamakan had stated that character goods/merchandise is increasingly where the money's at.
Psycho_Despair

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 2:15 pm Reply with quote
Damn, why is China getting Saint Seiya t-shirts Sad I want one too!
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 2:24 pm Reply with quote
When I saw this I had small hope one of the many sellers of Chinese goods at Comic-con might have the Saint Seiya shirts.
And of course it depends who is on the shirt. Some Gold saints would be nice.
Daimao Raki

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 2:37 pm Reply with quote
Anime merchandise will never be that big in the US. It's a niche in a niche.
Guren Alchemist4

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 7:32 pm Reply with quote
That's great for them....now I hope they reach an agreement with Funimation to release season 4 and beyond.
Reaper gI

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 10:13 pm Reply with quote
configspace wrote:
Referring to his involvement in his studio Ordet animating Black Rock Shooter last year, Yamakan had stated that character goods/merchandise is increasingly where the money's at.
Didn't think that had been in doubt for the last decade.
Wasn't the issue Yamakan was talking about, was who got the cuts from the merchandise. Studios traditionaly only get the dvd/BD royalties, with the potentialy more valuable rights often going to other production comitee members. He was talking about studios trying to get some chara goods rights (like Toei has anyway).
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 6:45 am Reply with quote
If they re-release all the Sailor Moon franchises uncut with a fresh dub I can guarantee it'll jump 1 or 2 percentages more as well. Wink
Lightning Leo

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 10:47 am Reply with quote
Hey, that's pretty good news, good for Toei. Very Happy It's tough turning profits these days considering the market, so this is a pretty cool thing to hear about.
abdallhkritm

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 5:36 pm Reply with quote
I just Wandering and not sure i will get answer or not?

how much Anime title series cost to make a licensing for regions as Dragon Ball or new animes?

i know Japanese studios they don't give the license for any one but i wonder how much it cost
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Lightning Leo

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:56 pm Reply with quote
abdallhkritm wrote:
I just Wandering and not sure i will get answer or not?

how much Anime title series cost to make a licensing for regions as Dragon Ball or new animes?

i know Japanese studios they don't give the license for any one but i wonder how much it cost

I have no idea myself, but I've heard some people say a license can range from $10,000 - $1,000,000 (though I've also heard it's a closely guarded trade secret Confused ) . The price will probably change depending on the situation, like what series is being licensed, the studio that owns the series, the current state of the market, the demographics of the region it's being licensed for, and how well negotiations go. You'd probably have to have an established company with a good reputation, and have experienced reps to negotiate the license.

If you want to ask people in the industry, you could probably send a question to the "Ask John" letters section at AnimeNation, I think they licensed a series once (RiskySafety iirc) so they'd probably have a good idea. That Robert fellow from Roberts Anime Corner also might know, he's pretty experienced in the industry, you could probably ask on his blog. Or you might be able to ask AnimEigo too, I heard they're pretty cool/approachable anime fans.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1