• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: The Anime Network in Trouble?

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Toboe

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2004 6:53 pm Reply with quote
I'd like to see what Comcast would put together before going to bat for ADV. After that press release I'd be hard pressed to do anything for the Anime Network On Demand service.

We are not a nation of mindless consumers, zombies trained to do what ADV tells us. We are individuals and can make up our own damn minds based on our own interests. ADV isn't in this for "the love of anime", they're in it for the money, and that press release calling us "to arms" so we can continue making money for them makes me sick. It's a nice romantic concept, doing it "for the fans", but give me a damn break. I won't be taken for granted.

Bring it on Comcast, let's see what you've got. If it's better than Anime Network then cool, I'll take it. If not, I'll call and say I'd rather have TAN.

Anime fans: don't let any company try and exploit you like this. It's not right.
Poppycock

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2004 7:18 pm Reply with quote
Toboe wrote:

Bring it on Comcast, let's see what you've got. If it's better than Anime Network then cool, I'll take it. If not, I'll call and say I'd rather have TAN.

I think Comcast's anime on demand thing is called Anime Selects. I have checked out what they have, and I really was not intrested in any of it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Animefan16

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2004 7:18 pm Reply with quote
I have the Anime network VOD on StarPower. So I'm safe.............for now.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2004 7:20 pm Reply with quote
A bit off topic, but I think you guys messed up the link of the Discuss link of the "More on the Anime Network." Rolling Eyes
isaacada1

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2004 7:28 pm Reply with quote
Remember earlier this year that Comcast signed a deal with Sony, and Sony has two networks that play anime outside of North America(Animax and AXN). Could it be that Sony offered more money to get "their" anime network on comcast cable and displace the anime network? Time will tell.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
v1cious

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2004 7:48 pm Reply with quote
what happend to it becoming a linear network? i can see how it would be failing.
Stueypark

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2004 7:51 pm Reply with quote
McDonalds, meet Burger King

ain't competition great?
Pepperidge

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2004 7:57 pm Reply with quote
Screw them. Comcast and Animax all the way.
renmag

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2004 8:01 pm Reply with quote
Quote:

I have Comcast in NJ and it is called Anime Selects. I'm sorry, but Virgin Fleet pales in comparison to New Fist of the North Star.
And although I may agree with your assessment about ADV trying to get fan support to keep TAN running, without TAN I don't think I'll ever get Chobits or GetBackers. Hell, I don't think I would see most of those titles they have in the menu on CN or G4/Tech TV.
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2004 8:19 pm Reply with quote
I was under the impression that TAN had connections to most American anime distributors and with those connections, rights to air some of their anime. What anime does comcast have the airing rights to?

And heh, this is funny. I'm reminded of online pentitions like Sailor Moon SOS with this thing.
Kholdstare

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2004 8:21 pm Reply with quote
Virgin Fleet? Is that what Comcast is showing? *shudders* They should go back to TAN.

Can anyone here give me a full list of the Anime Selects animes? I'm interested to see what they are. Thanks.
Grico

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2004 8:38 pm Reply with quote
Regardless of what Comcast's anime network would show, losing the anime network would suck as losing it would meaning losing the ability to see basically any ADV shows on On demand. 2ndly, the loss of Comcast On demand could kill the Anime Network entirely, which would be a bad thing. Competition is fine, but when one competitior isn't able to broadcast anywhere it ain't a competion at all and that is what the situation is looking like. Two anime based networks would rule, but Comcast's plan smothers The Anime Network. Hopefully something can be worked out
AnimeHeretic

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2004 8:43 pm Reply with quote
Given that the availability is limited, it's all a moot point for me. Though I was wondering, why do they have to compete, instead of running side by side to bring it to more people.
DarkCntry

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2004 8:46 pm Reply with quote
Comcast's Anime Selects is direct from CPM, which as we all know, don't have very many quality titles to their name. There are a few gems, but for Comcast there are three options; TAN On Demand, Anime Selects (CPM), and Adult Swim On Demand.

Personally, I will go to bat for ADV on this one, for they were the first. Comcast decided to start their's after outsourcing to another company when they saw that there was a market with TAN.

I don't always agree with ADV's choices, but this is one I whole-heartedly agree with. I'm sorry, but Record of Lodoss War and Now and Then, Here and There do not make up for NGE, Chrono Crusade, RahXephon, or Chobits when it comes to decisions. CPM just doesn't have the resources or backlog of titles to carry itself as anything decent for any extended period of time.

As for anyone who wishes to see what Select On Demand offers for their Anime Selects, feel free to click here.
renmag

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2004 9:05 pm Reply with quote
Its about the lesser evil at this point.

I vote for the underdog (TAN).

Comcast better watch out. I'll drop them and go DBS if they pull TAN off the air because it means no competition = no choices = we lose.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 1 of 8