• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Yu-Gi-Oh! Card on eBay

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2004 11:18 am Reply with quote
The sad thing is that two years from now, that card will be worth $3.
Zeiram

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2004 11:54 am Reply with quote
nah, it'll be rereleased as a cheaper card like magic 4th edition etc

y'know? I love the card game, really, i actually had a lot of fun playing it back in the day and i don't regret it a bit heck i was pretty good at the game. Was fun fighting a guy who had a whole bunch of the then new level 4 high attack monsters without any residual bad effects that are now outclassed. I won, but meh, that's strategy versus strength for ya. I dun liek that deck much, made a better one later on until a new set came out and backed out of it cause my deck wa smade obsolete and i needed the money for anime <.<;;

also y'know? 25,300 dollars? <.< i wouldn't get it for 100 dollars, it's a nice card and all, but i play for the fun of it, not the money in it. I hope it ain't being spiked, 114 bids, yeh it prolly safe
quincyarcher

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2004 12:05 pm Reply with quote
Well, kudos to the kid who's selling to the card. If it's produced state-side, he can pick it up again and he gets $25,000 for it. Laughing Lucky.
Sword of Whedon

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2004 12:08 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
y'know? I love the card game, really, i actually had a lot of fun playing it back in the day

Back in the day? That was like 3 years ago

Whoever bid $25,000 on it is the ultimate sucker. The fad is just about to run its course.
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2004 12:14 pm Reply with quote
I'd like to know where the money's gonna come from. I mean, that's a Ford Mustang Deluxe Convertible going up in smoke there.

Who wants to bet that this same person(s) eventually bids on other collectibles soon thereafther?

Perhaps we'd like to guess what it's going to sell for. Remember, the one of you nearest to the Actual Retail Price without going over is the winner.
cubs2084

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2004 1:38 pm Reply with quote
I'm sorry, but anyone who pays that much for a trading card game is a ****ing idiot.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Zeiram

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2004 1:54 pm Reply with quote
eh yugioh is not going out of fashion anytime soon. People like you prolly thought the same as pokemon as did i

anyways, back in the day some guy in the middle east paid a million for a Black Lotus card, they not as rare
cyrax777

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2004 2:13 pm Reply with quote
Sword of Whedon wrote:
Quote:
y'know? I love the card game, really, i actually had a lot of fun playing it back in the day

Back in the day? That was like 3 years ago

Whoever bid $25,000 on it is the ultimate sucker. The fad is just about to run its course.
I doubt whoever bidded 25k will pay up.

I've seen this happen all the time on ebay people will get in a bid war and it escaltes into insane amounts then someone else posts really high as a joke.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Haiseikoh 1973

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2004 2:47 pm Reply with quote
The high bidder has 8 positive feedbacks, no negatives, and the last time he bid was in feburary to a seller no longer registered.

Seems pretty much okay....so far...
tropical_kit

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2004 4:45 pm Reply with quote
I'll bid yimbomballaboo sixpence.
Necros Antiquor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2004 6:23 pm Reply with quote
Zeiram wrote:
y'know? I love the card game, really, i actually had a lot of fun playing it back in the day and i don't regret it a bit heck i was pretty good at the game.

I hear ya, it was a pretty fun game. Not as deep as some other games, but still a lot of fun to play. What is funny is that I have a friend in college who is still an active player, buying new cards and making really solid dueling strategies. However, I can still beat him with a slightly modified Yugi Starter Deck from when the game first came out, along with a couple of cards I bought back then and some that Shonen Jump gives away. Even worse, another friend can beat him with only a Yugi deck, and he doesn't even know all the aspects of the game. It's sad.

Still, I can never condone paying that much for a card that will be worthless once the game is no longer popular and no one plays it. Then, it'll sit in a binder and do nothing. Yeah, it'll be rare, but no one will care. (I can rhyme!)
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2004 6:49 pm Reply with quote
This just in: It somehow got back down to only $23,100
tropical_kit

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2004 6:52 pm Reply with quote
I might pay that much for something that would: remotely open my front door, whiten my teeth while I sleep, make me look 20 again *sigh*, and make the stereo of the metal-mushhead next door die. Otherwise, no dice.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2004 7:02 pm Reply with quote
cubs2084 wrote:
I'm sorry, but anyone who pays that much for a trading card game is a ****ing idiot.

You know, I keep hearing people say things like that, "whoever spends $$$ on yyy is an idiot," or "yyy is never worth $$$."

Of course, if you go to a poor country, you're likely to hear that "Whoever pays more than 50 cents for a shirt is an idiot."

The point being, that value is relative. There are a lot of rich people in North America, for whom $25,000 quite literally is an insignificant amount of money. There are others, for whom it is a significant, but affordable amount for something that they really want. This person may not care what the resale value will be in 3 years, because he may not have any intention of reselling it...

My personal method of deciding how expensive something is, has to do with what kind of sacrifice I need to make to afford it. Anything that can be bought without sacrifice is, "cheap." Right now there are things that are "cheap" that were completely out of my budget 10 years ago...

-t
Shingen

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2004 8:16 pm Reply with quote
Well, guess this will answer the question...

"How much is the infamous one-turn kill of Devil Franken/Cyber-Stein + Megamorph + Blue Eyes Ultimate Dragon worth in North America?"

Answer: More than I'm willing to spend.

Last edited by Shingen on Tue Dec 14, 2004 9:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2