• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: 2012 Berserk Film Trilogy's Main Cast, Staff Listed

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Araki

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 5:29 am Reply with quote
Guts: Hiroaki Iwanaga

Really? I watch Kamen Rider OOO and his voice isn't deep enough..far from it, actually. It's really hard to picture him voicing Guts.
Mai Yukino

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 8:00 am Reply with quote
WTF is this?!

Why are they not using the original seiyuu(Nobutoshi Canna as Guts, Toshiyuki Morikawa as Griffith, and Yuko Miyamura as Casca)? Why in the hell did they have to recast their roles? This is highly disappointing.
plague1ftw

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 8:24 am Reply with quote
And apparently a noob got casted as casca ...
malvarez1

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 9:19 am Reply with quote
Oh, so this is like the Hunter x Hunter remake, where all the characters will have new voice actors.
Kit-Tsukasa

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 11:36 am Reply with quote
mai yukino wrote:
WTF is this?!

Why are they not using the original seiyuu(Nobutoshi Canna as Guts, Toshiyuki Morikawa as Griffith, and Yuko Miyamura as Casca)? Why in the hell did they have to recast their roles? This is highly disappointing.

Nobutoshi Hayashi does not look like he's working in the industry any longer. Yuuko Miyamura (Asuka's seiyuu) just had a baby and hence why Evangelion 3.0 and 4.0 have both been delayed...likely until 2013 or late 2012.

Toshiyuki Morikawa....I don't know, he's still voice acting but it may be because he left his original talent agency earlier this year to start his own with Jun Fukuyama.

Hunter x Hunter is a slightly different story likely because it's under a different staff and studio this time so the contracts and relationships may be different on who gets first dibs. Hunter x Hunter may have some seiyuu who are no longer in the business but the former case is more likely.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 12:01 pm Reply with quote
????

Toshiyuki Kubooka?

I know that Miura like iM@S and all, but that's just taking it too far. Giving this to someone who has never been a director before... just no. I can get over the seiyuu changes, but the staff does not make me interested in it whatsoever.
plague1ftw

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 12:42 pm Reply with quote
I agree. I'm all for giving new talents a chance, but for my berserk baby I would have prefered a more experienced crew to make this the sucess it deservs to be.
DarkCyradis

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 12:42 pm Reply with quote
I'm a bit tickled by the fact that Cloud (Takahiro Sakurai) has stolen the role of Griffith from Sephiroth (Toshiyuki Morkiawa). It's especially hurtful, I think, because I think this was the role that actually won Sephiroth for Morikawa (think about it: strong and beautiful silver-haired general, once regarded a hero, turns evil due to corrupting external forces, does something terrible to the main heroine midway through the story, then fights his betrayed former brother-in-arms who happens to wield an over-large sword...Hmm...).

Okay, it actually makes me sad. I adore Toshiyuki Morikawa's voice, and it's a shame his type of smooth, manly, non-nasally male voice is going out of fashion in Japan these days. =__=
Araki

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 1:38 pm Reply with quote
Kit-Tsukasa wrote:
Nobutoshi Hayashi does not look like he's working in the industry any longer. Yuuko Miyamura (Asuka's seiyuu) just had a baby and hence why Evangelion 3.0 and 4.0 have both been delayed...likely until 2013 or late 2012.

Of course Nobutoshi is working. He has active roles, like Kabuto in Naruto and Lancer in the just released Carnival Phantasm .
And the maternity leave period for voice actress is pretty short, not enough to delay productions for so long.

Kit-Tsukasa wrote:
Toshiyuki Morikawa....I don't know, he's still voice acting but it may be because he left his original talent agency earlier this year to start his own with Jun Fukuyama.

Also irrelevant. He keeps acting and just voiced Cyclops in X-Men, among other works.
They changed the VAs simply because they wanted to.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 2:41 pm Reply with quote
Kit-Tsukasa wrote:

Nobutoshi Hayashi does not look like he's working in the industry any longer.

He changed his name to Nobutoshi Canna, so his still pretty active.

As for my opinion, you replace the staff with a guy whose directorial efforts are one part of the Gotham Knights anthology? Then you replace the writer with Ichiro Okouchi (whose work was fine when he did Turn A Gundam, but was horrible with Code Geass)?

The VAs are nowhere as impressive as they where for the original tv series.

I am only going to assume that at some point Griffith is going to do a ridiculous looking spin kick.
kpk

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 4:48 pm Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:
Kit-Tsukasa wrote:

Nobutoshi Hayashi does not look like he's working in the industry any longer.

He changed his name to Nobutoshi Canna, so his still pretty active.

As for my opinion, you replace the staff with a guy whose directorial efforts are one part of the Gotham Knights anthology? Then you replace the writer with Ichiro Okouchi (whose work was fine when he did Turn A Gundam, but was horrible with Code Geass)?

The VAs are nowhere as impressive as they where for the original tv series.

I am only going to assume that at some point Griffith is going to do a ridiculous looking spin kick.

And the CGI looks TERRIBLE!
nightjuan

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 5:13 pm Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:
Then you replace the writer with Ichiro Okouchi (whose work was fine when he did Turn A Gundam, but was horrible with Code Geass)?

[...]

I suppose you do have a certain talent for consistently coming up with funny mental images, even if the actual point they intend to illustrate can often be very misleading. Laughing

One, this is obviously a manga adaptation. There's already a detailed ongoing blueprint indicating how the bulk of Berserk's story is supposed to turn out, covering more than enough material to make several movies across any number of years. The entire point of this project is, in fact, to go beyond the story told by the first anime adaptation and almost inevitably re-introduce certain elements that were initially ignored.

Two, even if the manga's still not done yet, there are several additional arcs and the original source material is quite well known. If anything, its popularity has only increased after all these years. In that case, both writer and director, no matter who they are, are expected to stick to the existing material. Creatively speaking, they have little or no opportunity for introducing anything beyond stylistic or formal distinctions. In short, everyone knows what Berserk is like by now and respecting the manga is surely more important for everyone involved than preserving people's memories of the TV series itself.

Three, I don't think your generalization of Okouchi's most popular work is too accurate or useful here, but let's try to stick to the main topic. Code Geass actually had both good and bad writing, depending on what specific aspects (or which episodes from what season) are considered. More importantly, it makes a certain amount of sense to bring in a writer who has experience portraying a strong personal/ideological conflict into this project. What's more, you could even say the tension between Guts/Griffith and Lelouch/Suzaku has certain parallels, though the context is totally different, even going so far as to include similar undertones (and yes, I do mean that).
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 6:29 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
Giving this to someone who has never been a director before... just no.

Eh, they actually did this once before and I'd say it worked out just fine.
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 7:21 pm Reply with quote
The writer of Code Geass seems like he might be a good fit. Berserk has certain pulpy sensibilities that I think are broadly similar to what Code Geass often achieved at its most purely entertaining.

I'm glad that they will have a, "western swordfighting coach." It'd be refreshing to see at least as semblance of the real techniques of western swordplay displayed.

ikillchicken wrote:
Megiddo wrote:
Giving this to someone who has never been a director before... just no.

Eh, they actually did this once before and I'd say it worked out just fine.

ANN Encyclopedia wrote:
Berserk (TV) : Chief Director, Storyboard (ep 2), Episode Director (ep 25)
Steel Angel Kurumi (TV) : Chief Director, Storyboard, Episode Director (ep 24)
Steel Angel Kurumi 2 (TV) : Chief Director
Steel Angel Kurumi Encore (OAV) : Chief Director
Steel Angel Kurumi Zero (OAV) : Director

Seriously? He sure gets around.

Regardless, Toshiyuki Kubooka might have only one directorial credit, but he's an old hand at animation generally. His credits reach back to the eighties, including projects as auspicious as Project A-ko and as... whatever Odin: Photon Space Sailer Skidamarinky Dinky Dink Dinky Dinky Doo qualifies as.

Last edited by Surrender Artist on Wed Aug 24, 2011 7:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Megiddo

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 7:24 pm Reply with quote
Surrender Artist wrote:
Regardless, Toshiyuki Kubooka might have only one directorial credit, but he's an old hand at animation generally. His credits reach back to the eighties, including projects as auspicious as Project A-ko and as... whatever Odin: Photon Space Sailer Skidamarinky Dink Dinky Dinky Doo qualifies as.

And perhaps more importantly on his resume, he designed those cute Idolmaster girls.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3