• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - Warriors of Plasm

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kpk

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 9:24 am Reply with quote
There is no female love interest in No. 6.

No. 6 = Shounen-ai.

Sion and Nezumi are the real deal.

Safu is just a good friend for Sion.
Roxas4ever

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 10:25 am Reply with quote
The waltz scene might feel strange, but I've heard it argued that it's actually a bit of a power struggle scene. Sion is kind of fighting it at first, but it's Nezumi's way of establishing that he is the dominant male and knows more about the world than Sion. (and no, I don't mean dominant like seme ;P Not everything revolves around anal sex, kthxbye)
mike.motaku

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 10:39 am Reply with quote
kinda strange Miyazaki critiques re: movies explicitly made for a very young audience not being adult enough. I understand to a point but...

Also a little tired of arguments that are a variation of "those darn Japanese! If only they were more like us!" re: story tropes & cliches.
Hardgear

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 11:30 am Reply with quote
I hear y'all on the whole "ordinary high schooler gets sucked into a magic land and must master magic and save the day!" storyline. One I would LOVE to see made is the exact opposite of that: Some warrior/wizard from magical fantasy land gets sucked into the "real world" and must make do without magic/being able to stab people in the face at will and save the day! Hell, I would get to work on writing that myself if I had any talent....
asimpson2006

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 12:14 pm Reply with quote
Good podcast as always.

I do not mind the zombie stuff, but I treat it like alcohol. Every now and then and just when I feel like it. For example I enjoyed HSOTD but I would not want to watch it every day. Zombie games are similar, but then again I have trouble getting into most of them except for the RE games.

I do want to get into One Piece but I just do not have the time to get into it, plus my backlog is big enough as it is right now.

I think any argument about no dub no buy is starting to really get on my nerves. Only because fans should be thankful that they are getting any stuff being brought over at all.

There are still a few bad dubs, but most of them I have heard come out of the studios that MB sometimes use. I have heard my share of Steven Foster scripts and I cannot say that I dislike them at all. I do not mind if he punches stuff up a bit for the English script

I always have to watch stuff for non reviewing purposes between reviews, only to prevent review burnout. The whole reason I do this which occurred even before this happened was a few months I did like 8 reviews in a row and did not watch anything for fun in between, then go on to do informal reviews for the summer shows that started around the time I did my last review. To say that in the end I had reviewer burnout was a bit of understatement. It took me like almost 2 months before I did my next review. So now I usually watch something in between reviews to keep the balance in check for me. I try to keep the ratio 1:1 if possible.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Penguin_Factory

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 12:57 pm Reply with quote
Glad to see No. 6 getting some attention, I feel like that show was very overlooked (although I hear the ending is terrible).

I have to say, I'm really not sure how anyone watched the first episode and didn't get the yaoi overtones. Admittedly the ending sequence with Shion and Nezumi in the snow helped, but the entire thing seemed to be heading for a romantic relationship from the outset.

I was glad to hear Hope's take on Howl's Moving Castle. I recognize that it's a lesser Miyazaki work, and the second half is definitely very choppy, but I never understood the massive backlash against the film. Maybe people's expectations were just raised so high by Spirited Away.
ljaesch

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 1:07 pm Reply with quote
Good show as always. Smile

I had to keep from chuckling when Zac mentioned how four-year-olds would be mesmerized by Ponyo. When the film was released on home video, I placed a hold on the DVD through my local library system. When my hold came in and I sat down to watch it with my kids, my youngest (who was about 5 at the time), liked the box art and seemed to be the most excited of my three kids to watch it (they would have been roughly 12, 9, and 5 at the time). Within the first 20 minutes or so of the film, my youngest got up and wandered off, and really didn't return to watch the film. My older two watched the whole thing and seemed to enjoy it.

Since I write about anime and review it for another website, watching anime is basically part of my job. Every now and then, I will re-watch something for fun, but usually, I'm watching anime so I can write about it. Since I have children, I have to wait until they go to bed until I can sit down and watch anything; this means that I don't get to watch anything until after 9:00 at night. I'm currently working my way through the Neon Genesis Evangelion series by checking out the single discs that ADV put out through my local library system. I just watched Neon Genesis Evangelion Collection 0:6 last night.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Keichitsu0305

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 1:45 pm Reply with quote
ljaesch wrote:
Good show as always.
I'm currently working my way through the Neon Genesis Evangelion series by checking out the single discs that ADV put out through my local library system. I just watched Neon Genesis Evangelion Collection 0:6 last night.

Hey, great minds think alike!! I just rented Evangelion, a German arthouse film, and a few 1980's anime from my college's library! ^__^

No.6 ending wasn't excatly terrible but more like weird; it's basically 'magic elements inserted into a Sci-Fiction story-line with "subtle" BL undertones'. Maybe if the show had two more episodes, it wouldn't have felt so rushed. I still want the light novels though.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 2:42 pm Reply with quote
mike.motaku wrote:
kinda strange Miyazaki critiques re: movies explicitly made for a very young audience not being adult enough. I understand to a point but...

I'm not really a Miyazaki fan for that reason actually. I'd rather watch Paprika, Tokyo Godfathers, and other things just because they're more unique and interesting.

Quote:
Also a little tired of arguments that are a variation of "those darn Japanese! If only they were more like us!" re: story tropes & cliches.

I hope no one thinks this.. that movie still sounded more interesting than any animated movies we make. Factor in all our TV as well just being 'Crime Drama' like CSI and Breaking Bad, or Sitcom.. there's not much ground to stand on.

-I agree with the cable statements.. anime on cable is pretty much a thing of the past. Especially with how butchered most of it is, and how much certain shows just wont work because of network preferences, streaming seems the best way to go.

-Dub Cast/Persona 4: I disliked the game cast and found it very weak, but people will always listen to their nostalgia.. no matter how bad something was. I always found the original better: Yui Horie, Rie Kugimiya, Ami Koshimizu, Romi Paku, Kappei Yamaguchi, Daisuke Namikawa, and other great seiyuu.. it's an anime I always planned to watch subbed.
_V_

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 3:38 pm Reply with quote
When will you announce who won the tickets?
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 3:53 pm Reply with quote
_V_ wrote:
When will you announce who won the tickets?

October 5th.
Racheldoublemm

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 5:41 pm Reply with quote
kpk wrote:
There is no female love interest in No. 6.

No. 6 = Shounen-ai.

Sion and Nezumi are the real deal.

Safu is just a good friend for Sion.

Yes but Safu is under the influence of absolutely loving Sion. Her 'sperm' confession was a bit of an awkward way of telling him that she wanted to be physically and emotionally closer to him. While Sion is running along with the story, she still has the impression that she's got a chance.

Even at the end spoiler[when she's bringing him back to life, she sacrifices her last moments to sort of save him and giving Mouse her blessing.]

While most viewers wouldn't consider her as a love interest, the story still does.

I kind of want to go back and stop myself from watching the final episode, though. It was really terrible and there was no payoff in it.
sailorsarah

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 8:39 pm Reply with quote
ljaesch wrote:
Good show as always. Smile

I had to keep from chuckling when Zac mentioned how four-year-olds would be mesmerized by Ponyo. When the film was released on home video, I placed a hold on the DVD through my local library system. When my hold came in and I sat down to watch it with my kids, my youngest (who was about 5 at the time), liked the box art and seemed to be the most excited of my three kids to watch it (they would have been roughly 12, 9, and 5 at the time). Within the first 20 minutes or so of the film, my youngest got up and wandered off, and really didn't return to watch the film. My older two watched the whole thing and seemed to enjoy it.

My 2, almost 3 year old, really enjoyed Ponyo. Of course, he's downright obsessed with My Neighbor Totoro. I guess I have to agree that most Miyazaki films are great for kids. I do enjoy them still myself though.
chiarascuro

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 8:45 pm Reply with quote
Haha, finally someone says something about Legend of the Millenium Dragon.
Aha, I was one of those people at the AX showing, and I didn't really know too much about what to expect. I completely agree with Zac; it was unbelievably blaaaaaaaand. And the designs weren't nice looking either, despite the animation itself being fine, so it didn't even have interesting visuals going for it.
Actually, it was apparently based off one or two novels, so you can't even give it the credit of starting from an original idea. It was just a really unimpressive and forgettable film. :/
Heck, I've almost kinda been hoping for some kind of review on the site at some point as a kind of warning for people to not waste their time on it. xD

Oh, and I forgot...
On a completely different note on the subject of the new season's shows...

How come there hasn't been any news regarding the new Lupin III series that's supposed to be coming out? I haven't really heard anyone mention it, and I didn't see it on the official list here at ANN, so is there not enough official information about it to guarantee the validity of the project or something...?

Last edited by chiarascuro on Fri Sep 30, 2011 9:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
shadow13

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 9:16 pm Reply with quote
I take it that this is what the title references.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3