• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Viz Media Adds Loveless, Jiu Jiu Manga

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jaymie

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 10:04 am Reply with quote
Yay, two Tokyopop license rescues this con!
Sewingrose

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 10:13 am Reply with quote
Loveless doesn't really seem like a Viz title, kinda surprised they picked it up. Oh well, another title rescued, I'm sure there are happy fans.
Sakurazuka_Reika

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 10:14 am Reply with quote
It would be good if the rescued manga get re-releases for the manga volumes that were already published by TokyoPop (I'm not saying they should do it right now, but at some point in the future.)
kyokun703

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 10:15 am Reply with quote
Sewingrose wrote:
Loveless doesn't really seem like a Viz title, kinda surprised they picked it up. Oh well, another title rescued, I'm sure there are happy fans.

I think they mentioned they were going to start looking at BL titles this year. Like, they hired someone specifically for that.

EDIT: Yeah, here's the site the new BL editor was running before she got hired: http://theyaoireview.com/ Her most recent entry says how she got a new job.

Two license rescues from TP, which I'm really happy about, but so far none are for my unfinished titles. Sad Stiill, happy for fans of those books, and I'm even going to try out Alice in the Country of Hearts now.
Jaymie

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 10:20 am Reply with quote
I thought Viz dropped Inuyasha TFA, honestly. They licensed it at the same time as Kekkaishi and Vampire Knight back in 2009.
jenthehen

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 10:32 am Reply with quote
Why is it taking so long to release Inuyasha: Final Act? I kind of assumed it was released pretty soon after it aired ... but then I couldn't find it and now I read this! JEESH!
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 10:37 am Reply with quote
Jaymie wrote:
Yay, two Tokyopop license rescues this con!

My thoughts exactly.

Ho-ly cow. These announcements made my day~!! I love you guys for rescuing some of my favorite titles!

Now just Saiyuki, DNAngel Dazzle and Maid-sama! remain for my list (well, off the top of my head anyway).

Sakurazuka_Reika wrote:
It would be good if the rescued manga get re-releases for the manga volumes that were already published by TokyoPop (I'm not saying they should do it right now, but at some point in the future.)

My guess is they're following Yen Press's example: Release the newest volume in the states, then go backwards and release vols. 1-8 with new translations.
Ryan227

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 10:55 am Reply with quote
Sewingrose wrote:

Whenever Viz has success with a certain mangaka they publish anything they can by him/her in this case I think first they saw how well Loveless did for Tokyopop back when it was being released so they jumped on that and released the Kouga works they had (Gestalt and Ren-Ai), Ren-Ai even says "By the creator of Loveless" on it. So it's obvious that they'd want to have Loveless.

I didn't think they would get it though, mostly because it's from a publisher they usually wouldn't license from. I hope this means that they'll look in to more Zero Sum titles because they have lots of good manga that I lost all hope for ever being released in the US after Tokyopop went down. Or maybe this just shows that they're willing to reach out to other companies to get works from mangaka that do well for them, I'd love to see them pick up Kazue Katou's manga she did for Kodansha if they won't publish it themselves.

Last edited by Ryan227 on Sun Oct 16, 2011 10:59 am; edited 1 time in total
Aura Ichadora

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 10:58 am Reply with quote
Well, at least there's an idea of when InuYasha: The Final Act is coming out on DVD. Took long enough, honestly.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 11:02 am Reply with quote
I wonder if it's taking so long to get Final Act because they've failed so far to get it on Adult Swim.

Anyway, it's good to see it coming out next year and on bluray to boot. Hopefully they actually stick to that plan. However, I have a feeling we might see singles for it.
pajmo9

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 11:14 am Reply with quote
I had almost lost hope of ever seeing Inuyasha: Final Act on DVD, but now were getting it on BD as well. That's a pleasant surprise. It still baffles me that it hasn't came on CN yet seeing as how the original TV series still reruns on AS til this day.
corinthian

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 11:31 am Reply with quote
Glad to see the license for Loveless is going to a company that is willing/able to do something with it. I know the creator has kind of stopped working on it, but volumes 9 and 10 have been finished for a while now.
TronBonne

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 12:09 pm Reply with quote
I was in disbelief when I read that Viz picked up Loveless! It was the first BL title I was ever exposed to, so I was disappointed when TP just stopped releasing volumes. Thank you Viz. Smile

Ah, I reread the article and I'm glad to see they will start with volume 9 next year!
st_owly

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 12:41 pm Reply with quote
Loveless?! Awesome. I picked this up really cheap on eBay and had given up hope of ever finishing it. Really glad they're starting with volume 9, too.
grooveygirl

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 1:01 pm Reply with quote
corinthian wrote:
Glad to see the license for Loveless is going to a company that is willing/able to do something with it. I know the creator has kind of stopped working on it, but volumes 9 and 10 have been finished for a while now.

Actually, your wrong the mangaka is still working on the series, with volume 10 only recently being finished and published this year in Japan. The problem is that each chapter can be anywhere from 6 pages to 20 pages long, so it takes time to comply enough for a whole volume release.

Anyway, I'm so excited about the Viz picking up this title as well as finally getting a release date for FA.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3