• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Daily Lives of High School Boys Slated for January 9

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CareyGrant

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 11:03 pm Reply with quote
Daily Lives of High School Boys... So it's all about sex anxiety & thoughts about girls and sex, masturbation, watching TV and playing video games, 'because that's easily 90 percent of your avg. teen boy's day.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 1:34 am Reply with quote
CareyGrant wrote:
Daily Lives of High School Boys... So it's all about sex anxiety & thoughts about girls and sex, masturbation, watching TV and playing video games, 'because that's easily 90 percent of your avg. teen boy's day.

Really? Why is there 10% left? Laughing
Megiddo

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 2:05 am Reply with quote
Eh, I find that view a bit outdated. There's gotta be like 10% at least of texting and constant looks at Facebook as well.
Alexis.Anagram

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 12:37 pm Reply with quote
CareyGrant wrote:

Sad thing is, that's probably exactly what the show will be like. Boring, severely heternormalized stereotypes of the "male lifestyle": guys running into constant (yet severely downplayed) conflict with their sexual identity, suffering nosebleeds at every remotely attractive girl that walks by/manages to end up partially naked somehow, and/or acting basically apathetic and refusing to be proactive until the script calls for emotional interest. Realistic? Yawn.
Honestly, the only sort-of slice of life show I've been able to watch recently with a male protagonist is Natsume Yujincho, and even he sometimes thinks to himself that he's "too girly." Where are all the guys who aren't overtly insecure in their masculinity and femininity, their sexuality (or lack thereof), their gender presentation? The ones who don't have a problem communicating with people of other genders and forming tangible relationships? I thought maybe you could tell me since darn near every manga author who writes about boys these days seems to have forgotten they exist. :/
configspace

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 1:35 pm Reply with quote
Alexis.Anagram wrote:
Sad thing is, that's probably exactly what the show will be like. Boring, severely heternormalized stereotypes of the "male lifestyle": guys running into constant (yet severely downplayed) conflict with their sexual identity, suffering nosebleeds at every remotely attractive girl that walks by/manages to end up partially naked somehow, and/or acting basically apathetic and refusing to be proactive until the script calls for emotional interest. Realistic?

Yes, very much so Laughing

But being a gag comedy and going by the PV, I doubt it'll be completely as you mentioned, some perhaps. I had previously assumed it was shoujo title going by the description and being set in an all-boys school, but turns out I was wrong since it's actually a shounen title. In fact it reminds me of Gintama a bit when I first watched it only to find out it has the same ep director for Gintama. Hadn't planned on watching it but now I am Very Happy

Quote:
Honestly, the only sort-of slice of life show I've been able to watch recently with a male protagonist is Natsume Yujincho

That's because it's a fujoshi show Wink

Quote:
I thought maybe you could tell me since darn near every manga author who writes about boys these days seems to have forgotten they exist. :/

You aren't looking at the right place. Like Natsume, you've got to look at shoujo or josei manga.. or Otome games.. plenty of confident bishounen to satisfy you there. I recommend Miracle Train: http://www.crunchyroll.com/miracle-train (yes, seriously; I enjoyed it)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1