• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: TOEI DVD Impressions

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
biliano

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 1:28 pm Reply with quote
If that's the case, then my excitement over finally watching Slam Dunk might be downplayed a bit. I'm still going to watch the series, though. Wink

Last edited by biliano on Fri Mar 11, 2005 1:35 pm; edited 2 times in total
Laruto

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 1:30 pm Reply with quote
DVDs are here for two series that I would never thought I'd see here so I don't care I'm still going to buy them. I mean nothings perfect, just as long as it is uncut i'll buy it. Why do you need so much fancy features for just 20 Bucks/ best Buy)If people can't live with that and what their getting now I advice them to move to Japan.
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 1:42 pm Reply with quote
Laruto wrote:
DVDs are here for two series that I would never thought I'd see here so I don't care I'm still going to buy them. I mean nothings perfect, just as long as it is uncut i'll buy it. Why do you need so much fancy features for just 20 Bucks/ best Buy)If people can't live with that and what their getting now I advice them to move to Japan.

Though you see, other companies that have been around longer have included for the same $X some kind of proper Japanese-to-English subtitle track, proper background subtitles and chapter stops, ontop of easy-to-read subtitles. It's not like what's being demanded is entirely impossible, however there is no excuse for not following an industry standard, and there's no reason to support anyone who blatantly throws most of the growth the industry has made out of the window, especially considering that this is TOEI we are talking about, not some creepy backwater company that works from two people in a shack. Blind, raging fanboy support only really hurts the situation, and you know what? If this kind of crap keeps up, well, I guess I kinda understand why people get fansubs afterall.

(this isn't to say theres some big conspiracy that america is trying to ruin anime blahblahblah or whatever, I'm just saying that if the US and Japanese industry want to get rid of bootlegging and fansubs, do something to appease your consumer base, don't pull shit like this!)
oe

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 3:11 pm Reply with quote
The fact that they don't have a proper sub track is absurd, especially after the uproar over GitS: Innocence. At the very least, a sub track should have been included. We should not support companies that charge us full prices for crap like this, regardless of the series. If the anime industry in the US wants to ensure that people buy shows rather than downloading them for free, they should take a cue from the music industry and ensure that not only is there a basic standard of quality on DVDs, but to include extras like preview discs or collector tins, t-shirts, etc. Just having production extras like art or early designs is enough to justify buying a DVD, but 25 bucks is a lot to pay for a crappy, close captioned, 3-episode disc with no extras or chapters.
Izlude

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 3:20 pm Reply with quote
Lets not forget here this is Toei, a Japanese company that is new to releasing R1 dvds. They know next to nothing about the American market for anime, so they'll have to learn from their experiences.

Last edited by Izlude on Fri Mar 11, 2005 3:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
Zeiram

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 3:20 pm Reply with quote
this really is very absurd, they treating us as what? what word you want to use?

heck i downloaded airmaster, loved it, downloade the raws to make an amv whihc i've yet to do

and they treat the series like this? they don't only need to win over new fans, but the fansubber fans too, they not working hard enough at all, what a bunch of posers <.<;;;

Maki-chan!! glad ya here, enjoy your stay, careful of the low doorways, sorry we couldn't do much more to help your visit, come back soon ^^;;
Sketchee

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 4:37 pm Reply with quote
To top it off, looking at the information here on ANN, Optimum Productions did the dubbing on this and Slam Dunk.
ChrisBeveridge

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 4:40 pm Reply with quote
Izlude wrote:
Lets not forget here this is Toei, a Japanese company that is new to releasing R1 dvds. They know next to nothing about the American market for anime, so they'll have to learn from their experiences.

Let's not forget, this is Toei, who has approved and signed off on dozens and dozens of discs that they've licensed to US companies. They know exactly what the R1 market is like - unless their US branch was setup without using anyone who knew what to do after the past ten-fifteen years of licensing shows to the US.
Wyvern

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 4:50 pm Reply with quote
ChrisBeveridge wrote:
Izlude wrote:

Let's not forget, this is Toei, who has approved and signed off on dozens and dozens of discs that they've licensed to US companies. They know exactly what the R1 market is like - unless their US branch was setup without using anyone who knew what to do after the past ten-fifteen years of licensing shows to the US.

Let's not forget, this is Toei, a company which has shown a fair amount of contempt for the north american anime market in the past, being so paranoid of japanese consumers importing DVD's that they cut episodes from the Sailor Moon boxsets, didn't provide the later openings and closings for Dragon Ball, not to mention removing the previews from many of their series before they came over here, all in an effort to keep Japanese consumers from buying R1 DVD's and in some cases saving a few yen.

Does this mean the lame job they did on their DVD's is part of some grand conpriacy to mess with us? Of course not. But it does mean that they don't exactly have a history of treating North American fans with much respect. Is it any wonder they think we're not worth more than half-done rush job?
Nagisa

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 5:45 pm Reply with quote
Great. Now I have to go track down those Interlude fansubs again...

Bite me, Toei.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
deathbringer

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 6:59 pm Reply with quote
Wyvern wrote:
Let's not forget, this is Toei, a company which has shown a fair amount of contempt for the north american anime market in the past, being so paranoid of japanese consumers importing DVD's that they cut episodes from the Sailor Moon boxsets, didn't provide the later openings and closings for Dragon Ball, not to mention removing the previews from many of their series before they came over here, all in an effort to keep Japanese consumers from buying R1 DVD's and in some cases saving a few yen.

I have issues with that statement. First off, if the japanese are importing to save money, do you really think they care about missing openings and endings and previews? You get what you pay for. And I still don't believe the Sailor Moon thing is anyone but ADV's fault, their excuse was that TOEI didn't want episode 67 released on any format again, then a few months later it comes out on the japanese DVDs. I just don't think ADV tried to get it.
dythim

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 7:02 pm Reply with quote
Toei does know how to make dvds with dvd extras and chapters and all that jazz. They do it for all of their series, like One Piece.

The sound effects on the subtitles is probably a cultural difference. Toei does not usually provide any subtitles on their TV series dvds and Japanese subtitles often include icons sound effects as well as a written form of the sound

So when a referee blows a whistle in a soccer match, in the subtitles it says:
=(O=) Piiiii~!=
Where O= is my pathetic attempt at making an ascii whistle. and the = on the ends would be 3 lines a radial arrangement.
Erufu

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 7:25 pm Reply with quote
Some of yall make it sound like Toei jumped into North American distributing without consulting with the market first. I am sure they didn't start these things without checking what the consumer wants. It's not hard to go pick up an anime DVD at Best Buy and see what the subtitles are like. There is no exscuse these days to put out a badly done track (the physical appearance, not the translations) when high school kids are doing quality works on fansubs. (Well, I don't know how old they are, but they aren't getting paid for it.) The bottom line here is the days of missing episodes and cut DVDs are over with. And bad subtitles go in with this.

So, I still don't understand this. Is Toei not licensing out any of their anime anymore and going to handle it all on their own? And ANN lists Geneon as having something to do with this. Can anyone explain?
emory

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 7:39 pm Reply with quote
Erufu wrote:
So, I still don't understand this. Is Toei not licensing out any of their anime anymore and going to handle it all on their own? And ANN lists Geneon as having something to do with this. Can anyone explain?
Geneon distributes their releases.
CFizzLe

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 7:39 pm Reply with quote
Not a big deal, the fact that it doesn't have a proper sub track doesn't mean anything. There is no story in Slam Dunk, there is no important dialouge.

It still has a 24$ retail price tag and it still has dvd quality. As opposed to crappy fansubs.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2