• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Ninja Nonsense [2011-11-07]

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 12:31 pm Reply with quote
Bwahaha, RIT Anime Club represent! Cool

So they started using real shelves now, huh? Well, it sure beats them lugging around those "wooden suitcases."
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 12:32 pm Reply with quote
huh.. I am actually surprised the naruto movie was low in animation. Most non cannon anime films usually have a higher budget and go all out "inuyasha movies come to mind", oh well thanks for the money saver. Emma looks really interesting... I might have to check that out when i get the cash..
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
malvarez1

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 1:11 pm Reply with quote
Wow, kinda harsh review for the Naruto film.
Yorozuya

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 1:20 pm Reply with quote
You've really intrigued me with your Emma review but I just checked and its only available for import from the US. So much for it being on the BBC. I did see a repeat of Upstairs Downstairs a week ago. Despite it being made long before I was born I really enjoyed it, I guess it was just the absurdity of it all.

spoiler[I may try and catch some fansubs of Emma. Sorry Sad ]
sainta

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 2:04 pm Reply with quote
I haven't watched the Naruto films but I have read every film has a different director. Bonds was directed by Masahiko Murata, director of the Gilgamesh anime. The one behind the first Naruto movie is Tensai Okamura, who was also behind lots of popular animes like Evangelion, Full Metal Panic, etc.
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 2:42 pm Reply with quote
I share your opinion of "Emma." It should have gotten an English dub. Maybe they should have given it to a British agency to dub in English and then shipped it back to us. To me,it deserves a dub. I wouldn't be surprised if the British decides to do a live-action version of "Emma" and it ends up on "Masterpiece Theater." It wouldn't be out of place there.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 2:57 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
but I know Kaoru Mori has really done his homework

Kaoru Mori is female. For making this error, fie on your house Erin, and a thousand teacakes will rain upon you! Anime hyper

Echoing everyone's sentiments, Emma indeed needs a dub. You can tell it does. With a UK dub, it would bring that level of authentique that only those sexy voices could bring. I enjoyed the manga a lot. I'm not very keen on romance stories in general, but there was just something about Emma that kept me reading. You'd think an English dub would have happened by now, but then again there's still no dub for Heroman either, and that makes even less sense.

As for Bonds, I'm with Erin on this one. I saw the Korean dub (couldn't really understand what they were talking about, though some of it was obvious) back when I was across seas a couple years back. I can easily label it as "just another Naruto movie" because that's all it is really. It has all the typical trimmings of what we've come to expect: an enemy ninja clan, yet another character who is endeared by Naruto's conviction (really tired of this element by the way), tiny details you couldn't care less about get tacked on to the plot as it moves forward in tunnel mode, overpowered final boss battle and then the ending. It doesn't do anything differently from past Naruto movies, and no one should expect something different.

The dark chocolate lines would be epic though! I love dark chocolate. Anime hyper

Last edited by belvadeer on Mon Nov 07, 2011 9:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
Umino

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 4:53 pm Reply with quote
Emma would be an anime that would totally make sense to have a British dub for. However, I am glad that it was licensed.

Nice DVD collection though I don't think I would have the heart to transfer my DVDs to slim cases by cutting some of the artwork off Anime cry... Though it would cut out sooo much space on my shelves. Which is why I made a resolution(?) to only purchases complete sets/thin-packs from now on. Thankfully, current BDs/DVD repacks from FUNi help with space.

Last edited by Umino on Tue Nov 08, 2011 1:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
larinon

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 5:02 pm Reply with quote
Erin wrote:
Part of the fun of Shonen Jump titles is getting attached to characters over a long period of time

That would be the Stockholm Syndrome taking hold. Wink

I kid...mostly.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Merrymella

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 5:26 pm Reply with quote
Oh, I love Emma, although, overall, I enjoyed the manga more. Still, since it's much easier to watch the anime now than it is to read all of the manga, I say watch it, people! Maybe if enough people buy it it will get a fabulous dub. Although I hate rebuying series, I would totally rebuy Emma in order to watch it with a dub. It would be tough to cast, though, since, to do it right, they'd need actors and actresses with good (or real!) English accents and a few with good/real German accents.

I have to admit, I'm one of those Loveless fans. Although, even I don't understand why Loveless got re-released with a dub. I had figured that Loveless was a pretty niche thing, will all us fans trying to explain the appeal without sounding creepy (having read the manga makes it easier, as the manga explains Soubi's behavior a bit better). I own both the original DVDs without the dub and the dub collection, and I don't think the dub collection was worth it.

I loved the bit about dark chocolate! I'm tempted to rewatch all of my Naruto DVDs and replace the word "chakra" with "chocolate," just to see how this bit of fun works with the series in general.
CareyGrant

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 5:33 pm Reply with quote
Those Shelves! You know your collection is serious when you don't count it by the item or series, BUT BY THE TON! Wow!

Oh, Emma. You are a series so very deserving of a good dub, but whether the numbers support such a treatment--regardless of the fact that the quality of the anime DEMANDS it--is, I think a moot point. I'd do it, but I'm also not putting up the scratch to do so. But what a great series; their attention to period detail (not "faux anime victorian" details) is to be commended.

As for Naruto... There's a running joke around my friends who are into anime and manga that the worst thing about Naruto is Naruto. I'll cop to being a big fan during the 30-101 days of Naruto awesomeness, but... I like the universe in which it occupies (cool with tremendous potential; especially many of the side/secondary characters), but the pace is glacial and the writing and plotting such a let down; and I can't stand Naruto.

Next to One Piece (a long-running shonen title I still really like), to compare them, I just can't help but be disappointed by all the wasted potential.
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 5:52 pm Reply with quote
Weighing in as an official Victorianophile, Emma is most definitely well-researched and accurate. It's even paced like a 19th century three volume novel. Erin, if you enjoyed House of Mirth, you should read both Ethan Frome and Summer. (They're companion novels, and sometimes the former is referred to as "Winter.") Kate Douglass Wiggins' The Old Peabody Pew reads a bit like it too, with slightly less angst. Smile
GhostShell

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 6:40 pm Reply with quote
I was disappointed when I discovered that Emma was released without an English dub, as I had an interest in getting it based on the quality of animation and attention to detail. Based on the setting and subject matter, a U.K. dub would be most appropriate, should a re-release occur, and I would re-consider my decision not to purchase the series.

Looking forward to your review of Demon City - Shinjuku next week, Erin. I just purchased the title myself a few days ago.
sainta

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 7:11 pm Reply with quote
CareyGrant wrote:

As for Naruto... There's a running joke around my friends who are into anime and manga that the worst thing about Naruto is Naruto. I'll cop to being a big fan during the 30-101 days of Naruto awesomeness, but... I like the universe in which it occupies (cool with tremendous potential; especially many of the side/secondary characters), but the pace is glacial and the writing and plotting such a let down; and I can't stand Naruto.

Next to One Piece (a long-running shonen title I still really like), to compare them, I just can't help but be disappointed by all the wasted potential.

I can't help getting the same feeling from One Piece when sometimes there are only annoying characters within the main cast at some times that barely do anything across the series.

Last edited by sainta on Mon Nov 07, 2011 8:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
Youkai Warrior

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 7:57 pm Reply with quote
I never got into Loveless nor understood ts appeal. I understand some like to watch anime with angst, but there are other better titles that do it better than Loveless. I used to own the first volume of the manga a weird friend gave me back in high school. After we stopped being friends I sold it.

Naruto...I never liked it much when they made movies based on long running series, or any anime in general, unless it had something to do with the story, or actually did something that "fit", ya know? But rarely it does.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3